Create Account

S50 WFT #1 - Out on a Limb

For the first Weekend Funtime of S50, I consulted with some members of the PT team and had them give me their BOLD predictions for this season. Here's what we came up with:

Code:
Katth - Toronto won't finish last in the league

Ace - Mike Izzy will announce his retirement

Blastmeaway - Manhattan will win the President's Trophy

Inf1d3l - Minnesota will make the Western Conference Finals

Fordyford - LAP will once again edge out SFP to make the last wildcard spot in the west

Mike Izzy - Cameron Carter 2 will become the first player since S37 to lay more then 250 hits in a season

hotdog - Guy Zheng and Perry Morgan will win the Stevens and Biscuit awards, respectively, in a NEW sweep

Blastmeaway - Winnipeg will collapse mid-season and miss the playoffs

Old Man Izzy - Winnipeg will surge in the regular season and StadiumGambler will win Coach of the Year

These predictions are BOLD... which means they're most likely wrong. Your task is to pick one of these that you think is EXTRA wrong and school us on why in 25+ words. 

But that's not all! If you see somebody making a claim you disagree with, you can be our white knight and step in to defend the honor of the PT team - reply to an existing post (in 25+ words) and explain why ACTUALLY,,,,,,, the PT team got it right.

Please keep all interactions civil - critique the idea, not the individual. Also please don't tag us when you cite our predictions lol.

All members who meet the criteria (min. 25 words, on topic) will receive 1 capped TPE. 8-10 users will be selected as Participation+ members for going above and beyond in this task; those users will be awarded an additional 1 uncapped TPE.

THIS PT IS FOR SHL PLAYERS AND SEND DOWNS. IT IS NOT FOR SMJHL ROOKIES.

Any posts with malicious intent will not be graded.
Deadline: Sunday, 10 PM ET

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway
(This post was last modified: 10-04-2019, 11:36 AM by ImASurvivor.)

Code:
Fordyford - LAP will once again edge out SFP to make the last wildcard spot in the west

Nothing about this LA Panthers team screams playoffs to me, let's analyze. Sure their team is young and getting better, and one would only assume that they would improve on last season's performance because of this, but I don't think they are quite there yet. In regards to forwards, they only have 2 top-3 forwards (1300+ TPE) in Mauldin and Winter, 2 top-6 forwards(1000-1300 TPE) in Fujikawa and Cannellini, and then only 3 top-9 forwards (700-1000 TPE) in Forsberg, Clijsters, and Morgan. This reveals 2 gaping holes in their forward core that should result in below-average offensive production relative to the rest of the league. Meanwhile, their defensive core does not make up for what's lacking on offense. With just 1 top-2 defenseman in Toner, and then the rest of the top-6 filled with top-6 talent, there just isn't enough quality there to keep shots away from what is the worst goaltending duo in the league. Both their starter and backup find themselves in the fourth tier of TPE, Evgueni has 645 and Booth has 533, so with the number of shots that are set to attack these two backup level goaltenders, the Panthers are screwed. On paper, this team looks to be heading to another top-5 first-round selection, but with SimonT, anything can happen.

[Image: bobby1.jpg]

[Image: DaNnVpo.png]   [Image: CfsNrQZ.png]   [Image: ZZLBWWZ.png]
Kraken | Switzerland | Jets

Hamilton Steelhawks will make the playoffs this year, a lot of people are going to sleep on them this season but their overall team composition right now is not nearly as bad as people would make it out to be, the team is beaming with active players and who are earning at a really high pace, and are surrounded by a great front office in Wilson, Hallsy and Waters, with support from a lot of other great minds with site GMing experience like Teddy, Tig, DMills and Johnson. No reason they shouldn't be at least a middle performing team this season.

[Image: bjobin2.png]
[Image: 9tINabI.png][Image: c97iD9R.png]

**First GM in SMJHL history to win 3 Four Star Cups back-to-back-to-back**

@Ace

There is no way mike izzy is retiring any time soon, i predict he will retire in S72. Hell he might even make it all the way to s100 that stubborn goat

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

10-04-2019, 11:24 AMnour Wrote: Hamilton Steelhawks will make the playoffs this year, a lot of people are going to sleep on them this season but their overall team composition right now is not nearly as bad as people would make it out to be, the team is beaming with active players and who are earning at a really high pace, and are surrounded by a great front office in Wilson, Hallsy and Waters, with support from a lot of other great minds with site GMing experience like Teddy, Tig, DMills and Johnson. No reason they shouldn't be at least a middle performing team this season.

this is not the task - good take though!

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

10-04-2019, 11:25 AMhotdog Wrote:
10-04-2019, 11:24 AMnour Wrote: Hamilton Steelhawks will make the playoffs this year, a lot of people are going to sleep on them this season but their overall team composition right now is not nearly as bad as people would make it out to be, the team is beaming with active players and who are earning at a really high pace, and are surrounded by a great front office in Wilson, Hallsy and Waters, with support from a lot of other great minds with site GMing experience like Teddy, Tig, DMills and Johnson. No reason they shouldn't be at least a middle performing team this season.

this is not the task - good take though!

whoops i read through the task too fast, ima do the task properly now lol

Code:

Just no chance for a few reasons, Izzy's still a top player in the league with potential to chase records or at least finish top 10 for some major stats. In addition to this, Izzy is big on theatrics and bolstering the SHL experience with stories and world-building. If this was Izzy's last season, we would all know, he would make it incredibly clear with an "Izzy to play in his final career year post".

Quote:Mike Izzy will announce his retirement

You really only need 1k-1.2k tpe to be a serviceable player in this league and if my math is correct Izzy will be above 1k for 5-6 more seasons. Now if calgary was entering a deep rebuild this would somewhat make sense but afaik they're not so this seems highly unlikely.

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]

"Winnipeg will collapse mid-season and miss the playoffs"

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha- no. With Jax Duggan on the team (I trained with him back in Vancouver), there is no way in hell that Winnipeg will miss the playoffs. Unless Jax gets ill mid-season and is hospitalized for a rare illness. looks in biological hazards cabinet There is no way Winnipeg will miss the playoffs... evil grin not at all... sound of Bunsen burner not at all... not at all...

[Image: x9gTXZa.gif]

S48 Four Star Cup Champion (Vancouver Whalers)

10-04-2019, 11:34 AMTheHockeyist Wrote: "Winnipeg will collapse mid-season and miss the playoffs"

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha- no. With Jax Duggan on the team (I trained with him back in Vancouver), there is no way in hell that Winnipeg will miss the playoffs. Unless Jax gets ill mid-season and is hospitalized for a rare illness. looks in biological hazards cabinet There is no way Winnipeg will miss the playoffs... evil grin not at all... sound of Bunsen burner not at all... not at all...

Somehow I always knew it would end like this between you two...

Quote: Inf1d3l - Minnesota will make the Western Conference Finals
Looking at all the other teams in the West, I highly doubt that this will happen. It's still early, but there are teams that are already better than them and even if they make the playoffs, I expect a first round exit.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]

lmao what? Mike Izzy retiring while still hitting over 50 points a season is just not right. Izzy has accomplished a lot in his career and there is no way I see him retiring any time soon. Plus retiring before Charles Walker is just wrong in so many ways lol

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
[Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page

Toronto won't finish last in the league

For this to be true 2 things need to happen, 1:Toronto needs to have some amazing good luck, and 2: Another team needs to have an even worse year.

Code:

Definitely one of the boldest takes of them all. Even with regression Izzy has a number of seasons still left in front of him. Barring any crazy drama there is no way Izzy will retire next season.

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

Our intelligence has confirmed Jax is not on Winnipeg anymore. He is on Hamilton.

Which is even worse. Time to increase the strength of the... er... substance... more sounds of lab work in the distance

[Image: x9gTXZa.gif]

S48 Four Star Cup Champion (Vancouver Whalers)