Create Account

Special Event Idea: Video Game Night

So, usually at the Media section, I write a little bit about Yoshimitsu McCloud's routine which shows that he is kind of too thick for his own good, yet a very nice person that happens to have this scary collection of helmets that he refuses to take off except when he does take it off near people he likes. There's even a little lore that I came up with. But I wanted to do something a little bit different, take out the writing gloves, put the... uh... jersey maker gloves, I guess? One time, after the Draft, I recall writing that Yoshimitsu McCloud's idea of getting used to San Francisco was playing the THPS4 stage of the same name and Sonic Adventure 2's first stage over and over again in a marathon.

Adding to that, I found a hockey jersey template that I've been trying to get myself acculturated to. Now, to the people who don't know, I actually came from NationStates, where I run a hockey league of my own and I've been trying to make jerseys for that as well but I figured I'd need the practice. So, after I decided to make something different from my articles while also getting in some practice on jersey making; I hereby present to you a little nifty idea. What if we had little special events every now and then where teams get the chance of looking a little different, maybe having some fun with something that is currently popular. My idea was of a video game night, where teams would get the opportunity to play with jerseys based on a popular series that is relevant to their hometown.

So I had to go with my current team first.

[Image: MTUjXsv.png]

I think that the reasoning here is a bit easy to get if you know even a small bit about Sonic the Hedgehog. Sure, the series itself is infamous for a myriad of reasons: the rather childish and hazardous section of their fanbase that throws fits over anything, the no less hazardous section of their fanbase that draws Christian Sonic art for some reason, the smaller and somewhat hazardous section of their fanbase that likes to ponder about philosophical questions of how the game works, mediocre to terrible entries from its' 3D era, the furry section of their fanbase. But I do think it's pretty impressive that something with so many troubled steps can remain alive and surprisingly strong. As to why I picked them for the San Francisco Pride jersey, it's actually pretty simple: Sonic Team actually fled to the American branch of SEGA in San Francisco, growing fond of the place to the point where the first stage of Sonic Adventure 2 was based specifically after San Francisco's streets and the very same stage would be later re-used for Sonic Generations.

As you can see, this is actually a modified version of the Pride's alternate jersey, the one with the shield that would usually go on the shoulder. Originally, I had two ideas for this instead: one was to make one based on Digimon's Leomon, which I ultimately nixed since there really weren't any major links between that and San Francisco. It seemed too farfetched to do so. My other idea was to modify the Pride's regular logo into a Sonic-like face but that just seemed too much of a hassle and I actually did these in my off-time from studying for university exams so... yeah. My changes were in the colour scheme (I'm using the blue from Sonic's fur and the red from his shoes circa classic Sonic) and the font itself is actually the Sonic logo font. I considered making an SFP logo with SEGA's font but ended up not doing it as well, opting instead for a recoloured Pride primary logo. The player I used for the jersey is Pride legend Cleo Green, which I dare not say anything negative about out of fear of his reality-warping powers.

As to who I used for an opponent? Well, at first, it had to be Seattle. There's just one tiny little problem... the team went ahead and moved to bloody Tampa before I could even think of this idea. So, yeah, this won't be the day where I get to make a jersey depicting the Princess Peach's dear castle on fire. In any case, this left me in a bit of a pickle. You need two to make a tango, after all, and a fun little event would be no good if only one team was on it. I decided to go with something close to my heart.

And by that, I mean a series that would gladly rip said heart off, slice it in two and use it to paint the doghouse's roof.

[Image: YyEikl1.png]

It might come off as a bit of a shocker, but Mortal Kombat was my actual first favourite series. Yes, my player's name actually is a reference to two different video game series in Tekken (Yoshimitsu) and Star Fox (McCloud) but my first love as far as video games go was the one responsible for creating the ESRB and probably being the very first video game series to make a living out of riling up moral watchers to sell copies. In Brazil (my home country), this strategy actually hurt the market, for moral panic towards another violent game (Karmageddon) made video games deal with the same sort of taxes one would get from, say, acquiring a roulette machine. Anyhow, my first interaction with Mortal Kombat actually was as a pretty young child that didn't know a lick of English. My parents (who also didn't know a lick of English and still kind of suck at it to this day) bought Mortal Kombat Trilogy for my PS1 as a birthday gift... only to kick me out of the room to play the game against each other. It would also be the game that melted my PS1's insides, but it left such a high impression that I quickly went after Mortal Kombat Armageddon as my very first bought game for the PlayStation 2 once I got that.

So, as to why I went with one of the league's newest teams for this, it's actually quite simple. Mortal Kombat is actually one of Chicago's most important contributions to pop culture. The game was originally made by Midway (the name is a tip-off to the company's origins) and it actually featured some nods to the city, though you could actually tell it more from the regularly featured Subway stage: like in Mortal Kombat 3Mortal Kombat Armageddon and, the most recent of the bunch, Mortal Kombat 9 (or Mortal Kombat 2011). Granted there's an actual logical reason for the stage to be featured so often (throwing people in front of trains is almost a trope, Def Jam Fight for New York would have a go not too long before MKA was around), but I do recall the people that worked on the games mentioning that it was also related to Chicago on that respect. The idea was actually pretty similar here, I modified the first-ever Chicago Syndicate jerseys for this (to my knowledge they haven't exactly changed from their debut in the league) with a bit of cheating in that I took Netherrealm Studios' logo (the... uh... kind of follow-up to Midway, albeit only the Mortal Kombat related section of it) to replace the Syndicate gentleman, who has since been sent to the shoulder section. I actually considered making a version of what they use for the shoulders (a nameplate) but found it a bit too taxing for a rather minimal design. The colour scheme almost was nicked from Scorpion outright but I felt like it'd be a bit too similar to what the Syndicate has. Former Anaheim Outlaws' captain Corey Kennedy was picked for the jersey once he politely offered himself for it on the Outlaws' LR and for that, I'd like to thank him ever so politely.

I hope that you lot enjoyed my little idea. Maybe I can try making some other ones in the future, change a little from the usual typing. If you feel like sending any suggestions, I'll gladly accept those.

Quote:Words: 1486

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR

Ilike

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]

That's awesome! Didn't know there was a level in sonic to pay tribute to San Francisco.

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

No way i played nation-states too. And politics & war

[Image: urawa4.jpg]
Special thanks to @Sleepy for the signature

10-14-2019, 11:32 AMuhh Wrote: No way i played nation-states too. And politics & war

Yeah, I'm at NS Sports these days. @academydropout knows me from there, after all.
It's pretty solid, depending on which corner of the game you're at, I think.

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR