Create Account

IFA Bidding System

10-23-2019, 03:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
10-23-2019, 03:01 PMHabsFanFromOntario Wrote: Would the previous GMs be able to match previous season's salaries or would all IFAs go to a bid?
I address this in the OP. Inactive contracts could still be extended by 1 season at the same salary. All IFAs without contracts will go to the bid-eligible pool when free agency opens.

It was tl;dr so I asked

10-23-2019, 03:15 PMHabsFanFromOntario Wrote:
10-23-2019, 03:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: I address this in the OP. Inactive contracts could still be extended by 1 season at the same salary. All IFAs without contracts will go to the bid-eligible pool when free agency opens.

It was tl;dr so I asked

i didn't read the op either tbh lol

i just assumed from the title

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

10-23-2019, 03:35 PM.bojo Wrote:
10-23-2019, 03:15 PMHabsFanFromOntario Wrote: It was tl;dr so I asked

i didn't read the op either tbh lol

i just assumed from the title
wow fuck you guys tbh

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

I like it

As for people complaining about it being complicated, I don't see why we can't just have an IFA bidding sub-forum in the transactions forum. Post a thread with the player and your bid and other GMs have 24 hours reply with a higher bid. When the auction is over winner tags the budget director/whoever else would process it.

I'm not sure if I like the 24 hours after last bid. If I wanted to be a dick to my rival I could minimum bid 23 hours after his bid and make him wait another day for his player. I don't necessarily have a solution to prevent ebay style last second bidding wars though, so 24 hours might be the best way to do it.

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2019, 04:00 PM by WannabeFinn.)

10-23-2019, 03:56 PMTommySalami Wrote: I like it

As for people complaining about it being complicated, I don't see why we can't just have an IFA bidding sub-forum in the transactions forum. Post a thread with the player and your bid and other GMs have 24 hours reply with a higher bid. When the auction is over winner tags the budget director/whoever else would process it.

I'm not sure if I like the 24 hours after last bid. If I wanted to be a dick to my rival I could minimum bid 23 hours after his bid and make him wait another day for his player. I don't necessarily have a solution to prevent ebay style last second bidding wars though, so 24 hours might be the best way to do it.
I mean, is making a last minute bid worth locking yourself into that player? If nobody beats your bid then it blows up in your face. It’s the beauty of a bidding style system. Reducing the time limit from 24 hours to even 1 hour wouldn’t necessarily eliminate last minute, EBay style bids.

However, that’s not to say I’m not open to discussing a different timeframe for the bidding. 24 hours, 18 hours, 12 hours, whatever. It’s still a better system than what we’ve currently got.

10-23-2019, 03:59 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
10-23-2019, 03:56 PMTommySalami Wrote: I like it

I mean, is making a last minute bid worth locking yourself into that player? If nobody beats your bid then it blows up in your face. It’s the beauty of a bidding style system. Reducing the time limit from 24 hours to even 1 hour wouldn’t necessarily eliminate last minute, EBay style bids.

However, that’s not to say I’m not open to discussing a different timeframe for the bidding. 24 hours, 18 hours, 12 hours, whatever. It’s still a better system than what we’ve currently got.

What if you were to go to a silent auction of sorts? Say a player gets posted into a newly created IA Auction Thread, every GM has 24 hours from when the player gets posted to submit a bid to a "IA Mediator/Auctioneer" and at the end of the 24 hours the GM with the highest bid gets awarded the player? It would eliminate the potential for last minute bids from GMs that would steal a player and would eliminate the process dragging on for multiple days. The Mediator/Auctioneer could just keep track of bids in a google spreadsheet or something and then could post it for all the GMs to see when the IA bidding time is over.

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

10-23-2019, 04:24 PMjfisherr Wrote:
10-23-2019, 03:59 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: I mean, is making a last minute bid worth locking yourself into that player? If nobody beats your bid then it blows up in your face. It’s the beauty of a bidding style system. Reducing the time limit from 24 hours to even 1 hour wouldn’t necessarily eliminate last minute, EBay style bids.

What if you were to go to a silent auction of sorts? Say a player gets posted into a newly created IA Auction Thread, every GM has 24 hours from when the player gets posted to submit a bid to a "IA Mediator/Auctioneer" and at the end of the 24 hours the GM with the highest bid gets awarded the player? It would eliminate the potential for last minute bids from GMs that would steal a player and would eliminate the process dragging on for multiple days. The Mediator/Auctioneer could just keep track of bids in a google spreadsheet or something and then could post it for all the GMs to see when the IA bidding time is over.
I’m not necessarily against that, but I think it’s better for the market to dictate the value of the contract. If a GM is willing to beat a certain value, let them. Silent auctioning prevents that in a sense.

10-23-2019, 04:24 PMjfisherr Wrote:
10-23-2019, 03:59 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: I mean, is making a last minute bid worth locking yourself into that player? If nobody beats your bid then it blows up in your face. It’s the beauty of a bidding style system. Reducing the time limit from 24 hours to even 1 hour wouldn’t necessarily eliminate last minute, EBay style bids.

For the record you aren't describing a silent auction, you're describing a blind auction. Finn's original concept is a silent auction. A matter of semantics, but it helps differentiate the two.

I like this idea, but right now there are circumstances that come up where a player is needed immediately or the sim won't be able to move forward, what would be done in these cases?

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

I'd like to point out that my shitty league had this implemented. This is probably not how it'd be done but it's something to go off of. I believe PBE has this as well.

Inactive Player Contracts
  • Non-rookie players that are considered inactive may be signed during the offseason and before the trade deadline using the bidding process.
  • Inactive players can only be signed to one season contracts using the bidding system. Inactive non-rookies may not be signed to contracts without using the bidding process.
  • Once the bidding process begins it cannot be interrupted unless the inactive player returns to activity.
  • All bids are final. Deleting or editing of a post or topic in the Bidding forum is a punishable by loss of team salary cap.
  • The topic title must be in the following format: "Bidding - [position] - [player_name]", the topic text must be the starting bid.
  • The bidding begins at the minimum allowable salary according to the rule IV.1.a - Minimum Contract Salaries Based on Player TPE Totals.
  • The bidding process for signing an inactive player is outlined below:
    • A new topic must be created in the Bidding forum (link found here) by the general manager interested in signing the free agent.
    • Other general managers may bid on the player, the minimum increase of a bid is $500,000 but can be larger.
    • Once exactly 12 hours pass without a new bid the player is automatically signed to a one season contract for the amount of the final bid to the team that won the bidding.
    • Once the regular season begins, the bidding process does not need to occur.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

10-23-2019, 05:41 PMDrunkenTeddy Wrote: I like this idea, but right now there are circumstances that come up where a player is needed immediately or the sim won't be able to move forward, what would be done in these cases?

that sounds to me like the GM planned poorly and in that case they haven't done their duties as a GM. HO fines the team and/or GM and an exception is made. Add procedures for that case to the rulebook? There are certainly ways around that I think.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]
(This post was last modified: 10-23-2019, 06:07 PM by WannabeFinn.)

10-23-2019, 05:41 PMDrunkenTeddy Wrote: I like this idea, but right now there are circumstances that come up where a player is needed immediately or the sim won't be able to move forward, what would be done in these cases?
Bot? Or like in Caltroit's post above, once the regular season starts the bidding process isn't necessary?

10-23-2019, 06:06 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
Bot? Or like in Caltroit's post above, once the regular season starts the bidding process isn't necessary?

Yeah, there are definitely solutions, just figured I'd pose the question. With suspensions we usually see some IFA signings to fill the gaps, just want to be sure there is a way to resolve it with this sort of system in place.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Easy, anyone under 300 tpe doesn't need an auction.

[Image: JbAlQ9E.png]

10-23-2019, 08:29 PM.bojo Wrote:

Easy, anyone under 300 tpe doesn't need an auction.
Bojo good brain