Create Account

stop fighting im high

i couldnt help but notice the uproars about the update issues. lots of yelling about enforcing this and doing that and he said she said and blah blah blah my eyes glazed over while typing this sentence. i have 0 hope of ever finishing reading all of that given where it was when i first saw it.

the root of the issue is that updating is a very manual job with a lot of room for human error. how do you eliminate human error? you build tools and automation to make it easier.

and listen i can feel the fists clenching but i'm not saying our updaters are bad. our updaters i think are fantastic. but i think a certain rate of errors is to be expected with assigning people a high volume of manual work (that they also balance with real life priorities probably).

so here's what i'm asking. i'm asking someone to come in and tell me how the updating process works, step by step. i mean the backend update process. how do you do it, what tools do you use, where do you enter data, how many steps are manual, etc.

i'm going to fix this shit tonight. it's a 24 hour highdea hackathon, and everyone can participate. let's get it on.

[Image: urawa4.jpg]
Special thanks to @Sleepy for the signature

[Image: l4A2mDo.png]

i'm sorry for triple posting but please no more rep because my rep is at 23 and i wanna be like mike

alright boys and girls this is a rare one, but i have an idea so big i'm going for it. the quadruple post. i haven't ever done this, and i've only done a triple one other time in my life. i've never done four in a row and to be honest someone will probably post in the time it takes me to write this but anyway...

i have an idea for how to make our player prorgression directors' lives easier. the current PT processing process (whoa processing process) is below:

* Create PT thread
* Measure participation
* Lock PT thread
* Create claim post in PT claim thread

I say we do this instead:
* Create PT thread
* Measure participation
* Lock PT thread
* Admin post claims post in PT thread as last reply

This is the same amount of steps and maybe a bit easier since it only involves one thread, and the PT claims archive basically becomes an index of TPE earned for any given task, making it easier to search for than scrolling through the long claims thread

there it is, i'm putting it out there.

pepe salute to you Hariken Urawa

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Yeah I can explain the updating process behind the scenes

So every Saturday we can claim teams to update.
That runs until Sunday where we finished all of the claims

On the backend what we do is make sure the links are valid and they make the tpe they claim to make. We put the new stats into a spreadsheet where a very long formula runs to show the tpe that player has, and the tpe the player claims to have. If they match up then perfect! If not then we have to figure out what went wrong.

Basically the situation

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Also love a highidea hackathon idea

Quote:On the backend what we do is make sure the links are valid and they make the tpe they claim to make. We put the new stats into a spreadsheet where a very long formula runs to show the tpe that player has, and the tpe the player claims to have. If they match up then perfect! If not then we have to figure out what went wrong.

@"luketd" please explain the link validation process. also, can you rank the parts of your job from most to least time?

10-19-2019, 10:26 PMuhh Wrote:
Quote:On the backend what we do is make sure the links are valid and they make the tpe they claim to make. We put the new stats into a spreadsheet where a very long formula runs to show the tpe that player has, and the tpe the player claims to have. If they match up then perfect! If not then we have to figure out what went wrong.

@"luketd" please explain the link validation process. also, can you rank the parts of your job from most to least time?

yeah sure, im actually updating right now

so we click the link, make sure it goes to the right part, so if its AC it should go to his post on the AC. If its a PT, we make sure they get the correct TPE, and if they are actually there.

For me, I think im one of the quicker people to update

Link checking takes like 2-3 minutes depending on how many claims
If there is a strength or build change that takes some time as well(2-3 minutes to make sure everything is good)
putting build into the spreadsheet takes like 10 seconds - 1 min.
inputting the build back into the player profile takes 30 seconds tops

thats about it, but when you do a lot there can be human error. Already for this season I have updated over 80. as a team we updated over 450 players, so it takes a lot of time when you combine it all together. depending on the size of # of people updating it could take 20 minutes to an hour, hour 20 if its a lot

@"luketd" why are there so many different formats with which players post updates? why isn't there just one standard template?

10-19-2019, 11:10 PMuhh Wrote: @"luketd" why are there so many different formats with which players post updates? why isn't there just one standard template?

I wish I knew, I really do.

10-19-2019, 11:10 PMuhh Wrote: @"luketd" why are there so many different formats with which players post updates? why isn't there just one standard template?

Not Luke, but I’ve been told before it’s becauee people don’t want to change

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

y'all need to start enforcing a standard template. once you have that, updating gets automated forever.

seriously, you guys are punishing the wrong side. you're punishing updaters like @TnlAstatine who honestly should be expected to make a few errors with such mind numbing manual labor.

that burden of effort should be passed on to the community in the form of a standard player update template that everyone follows. that would give us a standard format and make parsing much easier (a discord bot could easily parse updates posted in a standard format)

give players one warning, then no updates for posts that aren't in the correct format. the community will adapt real quick.

10-19-2019, 11:30 PMuhh Wrote: seriously, you guys are punishing the wrong side. you're punishing updaters like @TnlAstatine who honestly should be expected to make a few errors with such mind numbing manual labor.

that burden of effort should be passed on to the community in the form of a standard player update template that everyone follows. that would give us a standard format and make parsing much easier (a discord bot could easily parse updates posted in a standard format)

give players one warning, then no updates for posts that aren't in the correct format. the community will adapt real quick.

Yeahthat

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King