Create Account

HO Restructure
(This post was last modified: 10-20-2019, 09:35 PM by nour.)

So I wanted to put this out after all the drama surrounding some of the recent player regression punishments and some discussion in the Steelhawks room just to see where people's heads are at. I also wanna preface that I'm NOT calling out any members of HO or trying to imply in any way that they're underperforming in the roles here. I think all of the members there now are a great group of site members who obviously have a lot of care for this site and want to see it succeed, this is just a suggestion to hopefully better improve communication on the site and allow decisions to be made that factor in the site as an entire body.

As it currently stands, HO is essentially a commissioner, sometimes co-commissioner, and a group of dudes who've written good apps. While this isn't exactly bad or inefficient, there are some small issues that tend to arise, like a lack of communication between the various other organizations in the SHL who operate mostly autonomously. It also brings about the issue that a lot of HO groups are great for discussion, but the members themselves don't have specified roles or jobs outside of "working in HO", which leads to a lot of "X member didn't tell me this" or "I thought X was going to do this".

My pitch to fix this is to restructure HO so that the heads/commissioners of all the SHL's departments are members of HO, and work together on the behalf of their area of the site to ensure all decisions made by HO factor in all of the site's various groups

The structure would look a little something like this:

Commissioner
Co-Commissioner
SMJHL Commissioner
IIHF Commissioner
Updating Head
Recruitment/Mentor Head (These groups would be merged)
PT Head

You could potentially argue Banking head and Media Head but I think this covers enough of the site and there is the problem of having too many voices in the room. Regardless I think this group solves a lot of the issues of miscommunication between HO and the various other departments, and should stop issues where a department head isn't communicating what should be known to HO. The heads of these departments are people we've already entrusted to run MAJOR portions of the site, it's not a stretch to say a lot of those skills are transferable to a Head Office capacity. They're already site leaders, this only helps them communicate better. It'll also allow them to reach decisions that factor in all angles (updaters, players, GMs, junior teams, site rookies etc).

To avoid any issues, here's a few new rules I'd introduce as well:

1. HO members have the ability to vote out another member if they feel they're performing inadequately, provided they reach a 5/7 majority in votes. To prevent HO members being biased and simply kicking people they have personal issues with, the commissioner and co commissioner can veto these decisions should they not find enough evidence to support the member in question performing poorly

2. Abolish term limits. These are outdated and stupid anyways, HO shouldn't be an "everybody gets a turn" job on the site, it should be reserved for the members who want to make a difference, and want to see the site grow and succeed. Term limits halt this by putting a time limit on how long people can be a part of HO. SMJHL's HO peaked at a period with no term limits (Zoone, Evok, Storm, Evans I'm lookin at y'all), and the rotating cast just hurts the site's ability to build a respectful relationship with HO when none of them are there long enough to even establish themselves as site leaders. Let people who want to excel in an HO capacity continue to do so.

3. PAY HEAD OFFICE MEMBERS. This discussion is absolutely batshit insane at this point, but anyone who is willingly giving their time to make sure the site is able to run functionally should be compensated for that job. Most other sim leagues are paying their Head Office members, we're not gonna cause inflation this is fake roleplay hockey money, pay these guys who have dedicated so much of their time and effort to this site a fair amount and give them some reason to want to continue to push themselves in one of the site's toughest jobs. The "doing this out of a love for the site" argument is bullshit. GMs got sick of it, and I personally still believe GMs aren't compensated fairly for the amount of work they do here. It's time HO gets paid for the service they put in here.

Anyways I know this was a long ass post but it's something i truly feel can greatly push the site forward. It's a rough idea so I'm open to suggestions on how to implement this better or what to change, or even a debate on why you think this doesn't work. Also shoutout to Waters who was a big proponent for this idea in the Hamilton Discord. Have at it boys.

[Image: bjobin2.png]
[Image: 9tINabI.png][Image: c97iD9R.png]

**First GM in SMJHL history to win 3 Four Star Cups back-to-back-to-back**

Hard agree

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Tagging @Eggy216, @adamantium and @Leafs4ever because I am honestly really high up on this idea and I'm curious what you guys might think. I think the potential is here to vastly improve how management on this site functions through this.

(This post was last modified: 10-20-2019, 09:37 PM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

It’s a good idea in principal Nour, but one issue is that department head jobs are stressful enough.. I’d be surprised if any dept head would then want to be involved in the hell that is SHL HO and all the stress that comes with that added on.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

man where the fuck and how the fuck do i turn on the fast reply option

also agree

not taking pay for HO which is the biggest sucky position in the site next to simmer is flat our redacted

term limits too, idk why this place is so hesitant to pay people who deserve it

10-20-2019, 09:35 PMMike Izzy Wrote: It’s a good idea in principal Nour, but one issue is that department head jobs are stressful enough.. I’d be surprised if any dept head would then want to be involved in the hell that is SHL HO and all the stress that comes with That added on.

The reality is Izzy a lot of the stress from these department jobs COMES from the fact that they act individually, and see a lot of their problems stem from miscommunication with the other departments (Updaters vs. SMJHL GMs, SMJHL HO vs Recruitment teams etc). In function, their jobs remain exactly the same, but now they have power to raise points in HO discussion about how their members would be affected by certain decisions, or shine some light in cases that might be confusing (updaters making errors, Commissioners acting stubbornly, GMs going AWOL). The only thing this adds is the ability to actually be a leader on this site and ensure it communicates properly, something that as departments heads, they should be doing anyways.

I don't think merging the mentor team and the recruitment team would be a good idea. The two departments run independently and with entirely different objectives/workflow/responsibilities, especially on the day to day. It would be chaotic to have the two systems suddenly merged, and in my opinion, not conducive to the performance of either.

[Image: shlpris41.gif]
sig credits
[Image: FJ4Sjuj.png] |[Image: apAE8qn.png] | [Image: uEsOaLl.png]
[Image: 2dtdoyf.png]
Former affiliates: raiders Jets Stars

10-20-2019, 09:35 PMWhite Cornerback Wrote: man where the fuck and how the fuck do i turn on the fast reply option

also agree

not taking pay for HO which is the biggest sucky position in the site next to simmer is flat our redacted

term limits too, idk why this place is so hesitant to pay people who deserve it

it honestly blows my mind sometimes that people are opposed to the pay HO stance, we all have lives outside of this site and we actually ask HO to run this dumb fuck website out of the goodness of their heart, while still being expected to maintain a player, write media, potentially take on a second site job etc. It's insanity.

10-20-2019, 09:40 PMPris Wrote: I don't think merging the mentor team and the recruitment team would be a good idea. The two departments run independently and with entirely different objectives/workflow/responsibilities, especially on the day to day. It would be chaotic to have the two systems suddenly merged, and in my opinion, not conducive to the performance of either.

Like I said this was a rough sketch of what I think the layout should be, an argument could definitely be made that those two departments should act independently but as a rough idea I think the overall point still stands. I only lumped them together because there is a lot of handoff between the two in the sense that communication and fostering of the new members is handled by both groups, but I do see what you're saying in that they both do serve pretty different functions.

10-20-2019, 09:40 PMPris Wrote: I don't think merging the mentor team and the recruitment team would be a good idea. The two departments run independently and with entirely different objectives/workflow/responsibilities, especially on the day to day. It would be chaotic to have the two systems suddenly merged, and in my opinion, not conducive to the performance of either.

This

Everything else is something I think everyone can get behind.

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]

this 100%, but also i agree with Pris, and have since this was brought up, recruitment head and mentor head should be different

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

Once someone's term is up they can just re-apply for the position. Most people take one tour of duty in the HO and that's enough for them, but they are able to continue on if they want to keep applying. Paying them is a no brainer. The restructure idea is great in theory, but I don't know how the workloads compare and how it would be for them to take on what was two people's job before.

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

10-20-2019, 09:33 PMnour Wrote: Tagging @Eggy216, @adamantium and @Leafs4ever because I am honestly really high

FTFY

Shout out to ml002, schultzy, slashacm, tedward!
[Image: blastmeaway.gif]

[Image: f4IDm9I.jpg] I [Image: specterspp.png] I [Image: czechup.png] I [Image: gs89eGV.png] I [Image: f4IDm9I.jpg]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]

09-05-2018, 10:04 PMBeaver Wrote: Wow look what the PT affiliation has done to our pristine league.
12-19-2018, 12:31 AMBeaver Wrote: I personally blame the PT affiliation for handing out massive amounts of free TPE to all these players, inflating the TPE they're at when they get called up.
[Image: Capture21.PNG?width=400&height=90]

10-20-2019, 10:16 PMGrapehead Wrote: Once someone's term is up they can just re-apply for the position. Most people take one tour of duty in the HO and that's enough for them, but they are able to continue on if they want to keep applying. Paying them is a no brainer. The restructure idea is great in theory, but I don't know how the workloads compare and how it would be for them to take on what was two people's job before.

I just think the idea of reapplying at all is sort of strange. Like I said above I don't think head office should be an "everybody gets a chance" sort of role, its probably the most important role on the site and the people who put the effort should remain there (so long as A. They want to be there and B. They put in the effort to be there).

I hear you on the difficulty of adding to the workload, but I do think that having 7 members there should help disperse the amount of work that needs to be done from a strictly Head Office standpoint well enough that no one member feels overwhelmed, and the benefits it brings about in terms of promoting more consistent communication between departments and fair representation across the board in SHL decisions are pretty big.

Though I do think to address the workload problem SHL could take the SMJHL route of hiring an intern or 2 to do the busy work (posting training camp, draft threads, hosting the lottery, etc.), so the core 7 members can focus on discussion and making rulings as they see fit without having to worry about how they're going to find time to manage the update team or the SMJHL for example.

10-20-2019, 10:16 PMBlastmeaway Wrote:
10-20-2019, 09:33 PMnour Wrote: Tagging @Eggy216, @adamantium and @Leafs4ever because I am honestly really high

FTFY

this is libel