Create Account

HO Restructure

can budget director be in head offie thank u

Vadim Askerov Player Page
Vadim Askerov Update Thread

Have we considered that term limits actually are helpful? By placing term limits on Commissioner and HO members, you limit the amount of damage that a legitimately bad Commish or HO member can do

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

10-21-2019, 01:00 PM39alaska39 Wrote: Have we considered that term limits actually are helpful? By placing term limits on Commissioner and HO members, you limit the amount of damage that a legitimately bad Commish or HO member can do
Would be interesting if Commissioners had term limits Hmm

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

(This post was last modified: 10-21-2019, 01:05 PM by Baelor Swift.)

10-21-2019, 12:32 PMEggy216 Wrote: There aren't term limits anymore, I got rid of them. What you end up seeing, as others have mentioned, is that people just don't want to do it anymore, and I can't say I blame them. You also mention having issues with the term system in general, but what that really does is A. allow people a way out when they really just don't want to do it anymore (Evans is a recent example of this). It's also a great way for me to see if there's someone out there who might be better than who we already have, to replace someone who isn't pulling their weight without having to outright fire them, or even just to get a finger on the pulse of the SHL and see what people are thinking.

The idea of making the job heads HO is interesting in theory, but terrible in practice. Right now I end up carrying 95% of the load when it comes to the actual work, and that's the biggest issue. Current HO is trying to take some of that weight off me which is great, but making the job heads HO just makes that an even greater issue because they'd have their own jobs to worry about, and wouldn't be able to really help me out at all. It would be a step backwards rather than a step forwards in that regard.

And then the last one, paying HO, I've thought about changing that recently with the league pay restructure. In the past I've paid people for doing things that weren't really part of their HO duties, and I've debated doing something similar and paying people for working the draft, for example (in part because I ran the last one solo, and I feel like tying pay to tasks would help resolve that and the previous issue I mentioned). That also would prevent people from getting paid to do nothing. Of the suggestions you listed, that's probably the most likely to happen.

tl;dr I want to maintain the status quo and force people to do jobs they don't want to do rather than address why there is such a high rate of turnover

[Image: Marius_buffalo.png]

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue
05-23-2020, 02:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Scoop AINEC
[Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: Poppity.png]
^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS
[Image: Poopity_Scoop_1.png]
^^^^Credits to Snussu^^^^

[Image: Scoop.png]

10-21-2019, 01:04 PMBaelor Swift Wrote: tl;dr I want to maintain the status quo and force people to do jobs they don't want to do rather than address why there is such a high rate of turnover

The number one issue people have is the way people outside of HO treat them. I'd love to find a way to make the site less toxic, if you have any ideas I'm open to it.

10-21-2019, 12:50 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: I get that you’re likely exaggerating exactly how much work you do but why the hell has it become necessary for you to do 95% of the work? Why does HO even exist? Are they literally just a glorified discipline committee now?

People are involved in the conversations about rule changes, etc. but when it comes to things like offseason GM tasks I occasionally get help from the co-commissioner on some of them (depending on the season) but usually it's me alone, the one exception (usually) being the drafts.

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

10-21-2019, 01:18 PMEggy216 Wrote:
10-21-2019, 01:04 PMBaelor Swift Wrote: tl;dr I want to maintain the status quo and force people to do jobs they don't want to do rather than address why there is such a high rate of turnover

The number one issue people have is the way people outside of HO treat them. I'd love to find a way to make the site less toxic, if you have any ideas I'm open to it.

Huge 10-4 on this. There is no amount of fake hockey money that can justify some of the bullshit you have to endure with really any job on this site and the hostility you face if you make even the slightest mistake.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

10-21-2019, 01:18 PMEggy216 Wrote:
10-21-2019, 12:50 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: I get that you’re likely exaggerating exactly how much work you do but why the hell has it become necessary for you to do 95% of the work? Why does HO even exist? Are they literally just a glorified discipline committee now?

People are involved in the conversations about rule changes, etc. but when it comes to things like offseason GM tasks I occasionally get help from the co-commissioner on some of them (depending on the season) but usually it's me alone, the one exception (usually) being the drafts.
So what I’m getting from this is that for the most part you aren’t delegating tasks, or at least not a substantial amount of them.

10-21-2019, 01:01 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
10-21-2019, 01:00 PM39alaska39 Wrote: Have we considered that term limits actually are helpful? By placing term limits on Commissioner and HO members, you limit the amount of damage that a legitimately bad Commish or HO member can do
Would be interesting if Commissioners had term limits Hmm

I asked this question a few times under a previous SMJHL Commissioner who had basically given up on doing their job and was told that they get to stay as Commish as long as they want essentially. In my opinion, there should be a term limit in length for commissioners. If they want to be commissioner again, then they can reapply, just like the rest of the HO positions. Stagger the SHL commissioner and the SMJHL commissioner so that their terms are ending two seasons apart.

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters

10-21-2019, 01:40 PM39alaska39 Wrote:
10-21-2019, 01:01 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Would be interesting if Commissioners had term limits Hmm

I asked this question a few times under a previous SMJHL Commissioner who had basically given up on doing their job and was told that they get to stay as Commish as long as they want essentially. In my opinion, there should be a term limit in length for commissioners. If they want to be commissioner again, then they can reapply, just like the rest of the HO positions. Stagger the SHL commissioner and the SMJHL commissioner so that their terms are ending two seasons apart.

So if I'm reading this right, a term would be four seasons?

Still doesn't really solve your problem if that's the case. If you get a crappy SMJHL commissioner and you realize it after season one, you're still stuck with him/her for another six months.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

10-21-2019, 01:45 PMztevans Wrote:
10-21-2019, 01:40 PM39alaska39 Wrote: I asked this question a few times under a previous SMJHL Commissioner who had basically given up on doing their job and was told that they get to stay as Commish as long as they want essentially. In my opinion, there should be a term limit in length for commissioners. If they want to be commissioner again, then they can reapply, just like the rest of the HO positions. Stagger the SHL commissioner and the SMJHL commissioner so that their terms are ending two seasons apart.

So if I'm reading this right, a term would be four seasons?

Still doesn't really solve your problem if that's the case.  If you get a crappy SMJHL commissioner and you realize it after season one, you're still stuck with him/her for another six months.

That's how long I would suggest them to be. It's not a perfect solution, but it's better than "Well they're there indefinitely." Alternatively, creating a way to challenge a sitting commissioner would also be acceptable in my opinion. Because the current situation of nothing isn't the answer either

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters

10-21-2019, 01:35 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
10-21-2019, 01:18 PMEggy216 Wrote: People are involved in the conversations about rule changes, etc. but when it comes to things like offseason GM tasks I occasionally get help from the co-commissioner on some of them (depending on the season) but usually it's me alone, the one exception (usually) being the drafts.
So what I’m getting from this is that for the most part you aren’t delegating tasks, or at least not a substantial amount of them.

I tried in the past and I ended up doing the work anyway because in the end they need to get done and I feel responsible if things aren't getting done in time. Like I said earlier in the thread, the current HO is revisiting it so hopefully it's being resolved.

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
[Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
[Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

10-21-2019, 02:06 PMEggy216 Wrote:
10-21-2019, 01:35 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: So what I’m getting from this is that for the most part you aren’t delegating tasks, or at least not a substantial amount of them.

I tried in the past and I ended up doing the work anyway because in the end they need to get done and I feel responsible if things aren't getting done in time. Like I said earlier in the thread, the current HO is revisiting it so hopefully it's being resolved.
Dude.. how long has it been like this? It would explain SO much about this league if it’s being ran by virtually a single person.

I think having pay based on tasks would be a good system. This ensures that the people doing the work are getting paid accordingly.

I also think that having sub-roles for members of HO would be beneficial as well.

[Image: spartangibbles.gif]
[Image: qGhUIfY.png]  Outlungus   Usa Monarchs  [Image: PlcJv9V.png]

10-21-2019, 01:35 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: So what I’m getting from this is that for the most part you aren’t delegating tasks, or at least not a substantial amount of them.

first of, what.
second, im sorry
thrid, what??

RETIRED

This sounds like a serious problem with HO if you haven't been able to rely on them complete things on time or at all.

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters