Create Account

S50 PT #4 - Skills Competition

At this year's SHL Skills Competition, Olivier was invited to participate in the Most Accurate Shot challenge. This really seemed like a mistake based on some officials maybe mistaking frequency of shooting at the net for being any good at getting the puck in it, but Olivier wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth. He spent the weeks leading up to the All-Star Skills Competition spending even more time on his shot during practice and enduring chirping from his teammates every time he missed and also every time he didn't. Benjamin Blue in particular took great delight in volunteering to practice with Olivier and then blocking all his shots. Even so, when it came time for the competition, Olivier was in pretty good form - it's much different to hit some targets than to actually score in a game, thankfully. He didn't win, because there was probably someone better (Kandinsky or something? idk), but he didn't make a fool of himself, and that's what really matters.

[Image: thistidalwave.gif]

ArmadaUkSpecters
Player | Updates

Written Option #3: Imagine that your player has been selected to participate in one of the above competitions. Tell us how you'd prepare and train for the challenge and/or tell us about how the competition went for you.

Best Shootout Goalie

I’m well into my first season in the SHL and have been pleased so far with my personal stats. I made a point to invest TPE into Penalty Shot and I believe it has made me an effective shootout goalie. However, it is not enough to be effective, I want to be one of the best- if not, the best. Since I have performed admirably during the season, I have been selected to compete in the Best Shootout Goalie competition at the All-Star Game. Being that I am a creature of habit I will maintain my regular schedule of exercise and strength building, healthy and fulfilling diet, and dream filled sleeps. Knowing that my schedule has allowed me to be as effective as I am, I understand that it is not enough to just maintain what I am doing if I expect myself to reach a higher level. Therefore, in order to prepare to win the Best Shootout Goalie competition I must turn to one source and one source alone, tennis balls. Yes, that’s right, tennis balls. You know who one of the greatest goalies of all time is? Dominik Hasek. And what did Hasek do every offseason to prepare for the rigors of another NHL season? He hired an assistant out of Russia to throw as many tennis balls at him, all at once, and over and over again. Meet my new assistant, Oleg, he’s a short and tubby man but gets around well and has a wicked release when it comes to flinging tennis balls out of his hands. With Oleg’s help I plan to be able to take on any shot that is flung my way and be able to move in any direction with my increased agility. The only draw back is that Oleg is a bit of a drinker, and enjoys his food, so he’s cost me a bit more money than I want to admit. But apparently, you can win a new car if you win the Shootout competition so I’m hoping I can come out ahead and get that new vehicle to make up for it. If I do win and they ask me how I did it I’ll only respond with one name, “Oleg.”

372 words

[Image: p82ugau.png]

Written Option #2: For one of the above competitions, what one player would you bet on to win it? Why are you picking them - what makes you think they have the best chance to take home the hardware? (150+ words)

For the most accurate shot contest, look no further than Jonas Larsen. The San Francisco sniper posted a career high 30% shooting just two seasons ago after posting nearly 50% through most of the season. Sure, a slight slump hit towards the end of the season as his Anchorage team started to waver, but he was solid enough to finish out with just under a third of his shots going for goals. His first season in the SHL has proved a bit more difficult, but he's still a high-accuracy shooter and seems to thrive under pressure. The bright lights and big crowds of the all-star weekend might be enough to see Larsen back to form, and without a goalie in way he'd be allowed to demonstrate his unearthly accuracy. Count on the underdog to clap bombs, fuck moms and fucking pot 30 fucking goals and fucking wheel, snipe and fucking celly boys... Or I guess break like 5 discs really quickly. That doesn't have the same ring to it.

[Image: Screen_Shot_2020-07-07_at_12.29.58_PM.png]

Written Option #2: For one of the above competitions, what one player would you bet on to win it? Why are you picking them - what makes you think they have the best chance to take home the hardware? (150+ words)

Mika Kandinsky is my pick for the most accurate shot in the competition. The rookie has had a ridiculous year with Toronto putting up a grand total of 24 goals this season and with just under 10 games left to play he may be able to crack 30 in my opinion. I feel his great production is due to playing with legend Mikhail Lokitonov as I'm sure the rookie has a note book filled with wise wisdom he has that lead to his current SHL success.

I bet Mika Kandinsky could even hit two targets with one shot as he has the best shooting percentage for anyone with 20+ goals at the moment. He is a huge reason Toronto is competing for a playoff spot and that is why I am putting money on the table that he will win. Plus he's slavic so it is no surprise hes doing really well in the league

[Image: zcOwSzN.png] [Image: b1AwZLU.png]
First ever Yukon Malamute draft pick (1st overall S65)

[Image: ezgif-3-597e9990a5.png]

[Image: DYrcL6F.png]

[Image: fm4oNHu.png]    Aurora  norway  Raptors     [Image: YHC5qMO.png]
[Image: 47986_s.gif]

Quote:Written Option #3: Imagine that your player has been selected to participate in one of the above competitions. Tell us how you'd prepare and train for the challenge and/or tell us about how the competition went for you. (150+ words)

The remainder of the McCloud clan, including Omelette, waited on the limits of San Francisco, having a picnic. Omelette, like usual, was in a bit of an odd duck situation regarding her future husband. "Takimitsu, why is your brother not here?" The kunoichi decided to answer after drinking some tea while a couple of drops escaped on the corner of her mouth, sliding down her somewhat revealing costume. "Well, you're his agent. You should know this."

Omelette crossed her arms, frowning. "Don't start giving me that talk, OK? I... I totally paid attention to his explanation. I just wanted to see if... uh... if you're up on the news. Yeah, that's it." Takimitsu facepalmed while Kunimitsu, who had lifted up her mask somewhat to eat decided to be polite and reply. "Oh, uh... Don't you remember we got that e-mail the other day? The GM of the Pride said that Yoshi had been called up for a Skill Competition."

(...)

Yoshimitsu McCloud dashed through the roofs of San Francisco, using all his ninjitsu skills to reach the limits of the city, where his relatives were at the time, to practice his speed.

(...)

"...Why is he practicing his speed if he's in the Most Accurate Shot competition?"

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR

Looking at stats from last two regular seasons I have to pick The Dude of Buffalo Stampede to win the most accurate shot competition as he is the only one at sixteen or higher percentage for second season in a row. He was important part of Texas blue line before moving to Buffalo around trade deadline and even though his scoring is yet to reach a cap, being at 98 currently, his consistency has been remarkable. He is yet to reach a top of shot percentage charts, but he is the player that has been in top ten for long time and usually closer to top so at least he can rely on his skill instead of hoping to have a good day and hit some lucky shots. When picking a winner when reward isn't based on odds, like here there is no reward at all, I always will take a consistent player over flashy one who might break all the records one day and not even hit a goal on next.

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me

(This post was last modified: 10-23-2019, 10:25 PM by Velevra.)

Written Option #1: For one of the above competitions, craft your ideal field of 4 contestants to compete in the challenge. Make your case as to why you're choosing these 4 to represent the elitest of the elite in this skill right now. (150+ words)

The S50 All-Star game is here and it’s finally the event the goalies have been waiting for! The best shootout goalie. The 4 goalies participating in the competition are:

1) Harry Carpet – Carpet currently has not let in a penalty shot goal in all season! However, he has only faced 3 attempts. This competition will allow him to prove that he really is a top shootout goalie.

2) Knox Both – Booth is currently in 2nd place with a 0.875 shootout percentage having faced 8 shots. He claims that the 1 goal he let in was a fluke and that the award of best shootout goalie is his for the taking!

3) Beaujeaux Biscuit – Biscuit is no stranger to the shootout having faced 22 attempts already this season! His 0.818 shootout save percentage is certainly impressive and he hopes the amount of shot he faced will give him an edge.

4) Tibuk Soonika – Soonika has faced an insane 25 penalty shot attempts this season and has stolen games for Chicago this season. His 0.800 save percentage is extremely impressive and he knows he has the endurance needed to not become tired as the shootout competition goes on!

[Image: 60354_s.gif  ]
[Image: 1yZYUXK.gif]
Sig Credits: Gorlab and Kylrad

Written Option #1: For one of the above competitions, craft your ideal field of 4 contestants to compete in the challenge. Make your case as to why you're choosing these 4 to represent the elitest of the elite in this skill right now. (150+ words)

For the best save % competition the committee has decided to look at two main factors, top save % goalies, and the goalies who have faced the most Penalty shots. They have very controversially decided not to reward penalty save % alone, because of what they have described as low sample size.

First up with a massive 37 penalties faced this season most in the league, coupled with a very strong save percentage of .916. Benjamin Blue! No stranger to all star completions he looks comfortable now having set the pace for goalies for several seasons now, anchoring the young Tampa team. @"BoucherFan12"

Next up is the current league leader in save %, and perhaps one of the surprises to some for inclusion, Cedric Robertson! @grok some people point to one of the lowest penalty save percentages in the league. But this committee thinks his skills are clear and has had a good a mount of practice in the crease this season 1v1.

The final two are the two league veterans, Beaujeaux Biscuit @.bojo and Geezus Kryyst . Both with good save percentages and a decent amount of PS faced.

I suspect the veteran is the one that will take the competition.

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page

Written Option #3: Imagine that your player has been selected to participate in one of the above competitions. Tell us how you'd prepare and train for the challenge and/or tell us about how the competition went for you. (150+ words)

To the surprise of himself and the entire hockey watching world Jonas Larsen has been selected for the "best goalie competition" wherein he will have to attempt to stop some of the league's best goal scorers from doing what they do best in a shootout style format. Jonas Larsen has never before played as a goalie at any level of ice hockey, so for him it's a big surprise to say the least. Nobody knows how exactly Jonas was selected for this competition, perhaps somebody on the committee just really dislikes him. Suffice it to say, he was unable to stop a single penalty attempt during the entire length of the contest, and there were a dozen of them. Jonas came in last place against other, actually competent goalies, and to say that he was humiliated by the entire affair would be a bit of an understatement.

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/glswenson.gif[/img]

[img=0x0]https://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/agentchadjohnson.gif[/img]

GFX#2:

[Image: vilde1.jpg]

@BarnabasCollins

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite

Crafting a field of candidates from a smorgasbord of players is a really hard thing to do. Looking at who is the fastest skater amongst the league isn't really an accurate measure either, as there could be players who are faster but play in positions that don't have a great need for sprinting. So I'll try my best to make some more off the cuff choices.

Number 1: Gary Grease
This guy is freaking gigantic. And I can only imagine what it would be like to see him barreling down the ice at full stride. No doubt one of his steps is three of everyone else's.

Number 2: Mika Kandinsky
Seriously who doesn't wanna see this kid out there. The star rookie has been on absolute fire, and I can't think of anyone better to through in at the hottest showoff competition of the year.

Number 3: Mike Izzy
Gotta get the vet in there. Still near the top of his game, leader in shorthanded goals, let's see how fast the breakaway star and Calgary god really is.

Number 4: Flacko Lagerfeld
The Tampa stalwart rounds out our selections here, always in the play and getting on the scoresheet one way or the other, I'm hoping his endurance will be a good addition to the odds and sods.

If only there was a way to be able to see this played out...

[Image: first.png]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img][img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img]
Maxime Bouchard
Armada Dragons Info - Updates  Dragons Armada
Richard Dickbutt McFudderdudder II
Armada Info - Updates Armada

This year the SHL decided that they wanted to do a juniors competition and invited select players in their sophomore or junior seasons to come compete at the all star skills competition. Phineas Gold was one such individual invited to come to participate alongside the SHL greats. It was a nerve wracking experience for the young winger playing as a center. Of the three competitions he knew that he would only really have a shot at participating in one, the skating challenge. Phineas is no stranger no speed skating as he had been practicing from a young age, this time in nervousness he decided to do the Rock Lee challenge. He added 50 pound weights to his legs and skated in them for a week thinking that it would do him any good against the others. After a week of this training he was sore but feeling strong. When it came time for his run, he lined up in his starting position all ready to go. The horn blew, and Phineas who had been accustomed to extra weight on his legs immediately took a weird step and fell flat on his face. He got up and finished his run but he had a good laugh with his Rage teammates who were also invited. It was a good time.

[Image: seamus.png]

Credit to Vulfzilla for the awesome render pic
[Image: gXlAFBa.png]|| [Image: 8CbZQAJ.png]

There must have been some kind of mistake. I was selected to take part in the fastest skater competition?! I mean I'm not a terrible skater but I'm certainly not in the top tier. First on the list to get ready for the competition is to start some serious weighted skate training to try and build up some more power. Maybe I'll even try and lose a few pounds to try and get a bit faster. In addition to the training, I need to find a good reason to throw an absolute rager the night before and also ever skaters favorite drink. I'll be sipping on crazy watered down gin and tonics all night while everyone else set to skate the next day is getting sloppy. It is the only possible way for me to have a chance. Even with some of the guys dry heaving in the locker rooms it will be a pretty tight race.

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

(This post was last modified: 10-24-2019, 10:33 AM by PremierBromanov.)

Quote:Written Option #3: Imagine that your player has been selected to participate in one of the above competitions. Tell us how you'd prepare and train for the challenge and/or tell us about how the competition went for you. (150+ words)

Tom Fiddler, known sniper, sits at an impressive 5.8% shooting percentage. This means, given 20 shots on net, he's bound to sneak one in. So rather than prepare for accuracy, Fiddler has devised a plan to shoot as many pucks as quickly as possible. Due to science, he will win. To train for this strategy, he has tied 5lb weights to the end of his stick for maximum strength conditioning of the upper body. He's been practicing 100 slap shots, 100 wrist shots, and approximately 10 cellys (remember, math) every day.

The day of the competition, Fiddler skates up to the line. The crowd roars in approval, their -10 overall champion is here. 4 goals in 44 games. A miracle. There are about 20 pucks laying out for use, but there are 5 targets. This will not do. Fiddler skates to the bench and brings up a 5 gallon bucket filled with pucks. Not a challenge for the 60 strength center. Returning to his spot, he dumps the pucks on the ice and lines them up along the blue line. Just like he practiced, he skates to the right side of the blue line, straddling the line of pucks. Then, makes his first shot. Rattles off the crossbar. Not a problem. In the same motion, he drifts back on his skates just in time for his next swing to make contact with a puck. Ping, pang, whap. Pucks are striking everything but the target until...CHWANG (thats the sound the targets make). 20 shots in, he's hit the first target and only 2 seconds into the competition. 80 more pucks to go.

In the end, Fiddler won and everyone cheered.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]