Create Account

Rule Change/Clarification Regarding Regression

It has been brought to the Head Office's attention that there is currently an ability for players who are under regression to apply post-regression TPE prior to applying regression, and therefore reduce the impact of regression to their stats (therefore potentially keeping non-strength attributes from falling below the threshold where they cannot be raised further). As this circumstance mitigates the desired effect of regression, we are adding a stipulation to rule IIB of the SHL Rulebook:

"Regression must be applied first in an update using ONLY TPE earned prior to the posted regression date (as indicated in the offseason regression thread).  All other claimed TPE unaffected by regression (i.e. earned after the posted regression date) may be applied to your build after regression is applied."

This stipulation will be added here:

II. League Rules

*snip*

B. Regression

*snip*
  • During regression, you will lose a percentage of your total TPE (including banked TPE that has not been applied). You will get to choose where to remove that percentage of your TPE from. This means you can regress certain attributes before others. Regression must be applied first in an update using ONLY TPE earned prior to the posted regression date (as indicated in the offseason regression thread).  All other claimed TPE unaffected by regression (i.e. earned after the posted regression date) may be applied to your build after regression is applied. Any attempt by any player to circumvent the SHL Regression system, including but not limited to: the intentional delay of claiming and or applying TPE as a means of altering their TPE count for the purposes of calculating regression, shall be subject to fines, suspension and the loss of TPE, as per the Head Office.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

(This post was last modified: 10-21-2019, 03:45 PM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

10-21-2019, 03:37 PMArGarBarGar Wrote: It has been brought to the Head Office's attention that there is currently an ability for players who are under regression to apply post-regression TPE prior to applying regression, and therefore reduce the impact of regression to their stats (therefore potentially keeping non-strength attributes from falling below the threshold where they cannot be raised further). As this circumstance mitigates the desired effect of regression, we are adding a stipulation to rule IIB of the SHL Rulebook:

"Regression must be applied first in an update using ONLY TPE earned prior to the posted regression date (as indicated in the offseason regression thread).  All other claimed TPE unaffected by regression (i.e. earned after the posted regression date) may be applied to your build after regression is applied."

This stipulation will be added here:

II. League Rules

*snip*

B. Regression

*snip*
  • During regression, you will lose a percentage of your total TPE (including banked TPE that has not been applied). You will get to choose where to remove that percentage of your TPE from. This means you can regress certain attributes before others. Regression must be applied first in an update using ONLY TPE earned prior to the posted regression date (as indicated in the offseason regression thread).  All other claimed TPE unaffected by regression (i.e. earned after the posted regression date) may be applied to your build after regression is applied. Any attempt by any player to circumvent the SHL Regression system, including but not limited to: the intentional delay of claiming and or applying TPE as a means of altering their TPE count for the purposes of calculating regression, shall be subject to fines, suspension and the loss of TPE, as per the Head Office.

[Image: GKxakqq.jpg]

but doesnt eggy not say the exact thing you just added word for word in the regression post?

@Eggy216   ?

• [Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
    Knights|Dragons|Austria

10-21-2019, 03:44 PMMike Izzy Wrote: but doesnt eggy not say the exact thing you just added word for word in the regression post?

@Eggy216   ?

It say all TPE earned before that date needs to be added before you regress. It doesn't say not to add anything else before you regress.

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
    [Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
    [Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
    Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
    Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
    Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

How much will the fine be? Cause I think I might want to take that instead of complying to this lol

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
    Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
    [Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page
    (This post was last modified: 10-21-2019, 04:12 PM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

10-21-2019, 03:48 PMEggy216 Wrote:
    10-21-2019, 03:44 PMMike Izzy Wrote: but doesnt eggy not say the exact thing you just added word for word in the regression post?

@Eggy216   ?

It say all TPE earned before that date needs to be added before you regress. It doesn't say not to add anything else before you regress.

wait..when you say 'anything earned after xx is not subject to regression' ....that can be read as allowing you to add tpe past the regression number and TPE cut off date?

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

Knights|Dragons|Austria

This seems like making things harder for no real reason and not really changing anything except being more of a pain in the ass.

Now one single regression/offseason giant post that could’ve easily been in one neat little update becomes two posts for. . .reasons, I guess?

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
    SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
    Player Page

10-21-2019, 04:20 PMJKortesi81 Wrote: This seems like making things harder for no real reason and not really changing anything except being more of a pain in the ass.

Now one single regression/offseason giant post that could’ve easily been in one neat little update becomes two posts for. . .reasons, I guess?

Why would it be two posts?

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
    2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
    *All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
    Player Profile | Update Thread
    [Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

10-21-2019, 04:20 PMJKortesi81 Wrote: This seems like making things harder for no real reason and not really changing anything except being more of a pain in the ass.

i don't think it would have to be in two separate posts, seems like it's more about enforcing the pre- and post-regression deadline for how much TPE is regressed or not regressed

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
    thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
    Armada Inferno norway

Hopefully I don't get a smack down for speaking for HO, but since I had a small hand in crafting the language I'll give it a shot:

By allowing players to add TPE earned after the regression deadline to their build before they regress, players were allowed to push off the regression caps that is added to attributes once they fall below a certain threshold. It was easy to add the tpe to your build so that regression would not bring you below those thresholds once you actually regress. By restricting regression to only tpe earned prior to the posted date is more in line with the spirit of regression/regression caps than allowing players to push that further and further down the road.

Believe me, the goal was not to make your update more tedious, but to align the process with the spirit of regression. Overall I don't think a majority of members were consciously doing it thinking they were gaming the caps, but instead they had your concern with having a neat/easy update which I can appreciate. It would be easier to just have it in one shot, but separating an update post into regression and then the rest of your added tpe isn't TOO crazy of an ask imo. But I also tend to have longer updates.

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

10-21-2019, 04:28 PMArGarBarGar Wrote:

Why would it be two posts?

Well now we have to wait for regression to be approved and then do another giant update with all of the other TPE we’d get in the next post.

Doing it all at once was significantly easier. All this does is force people to take more TPE from their strengths to make sure the lesser attributes don’t go below the 85 or 82 or whatever threshold they’re at and want to avoid and then turn around and throw all of that TPE right back into those strength stats and get them back to where they’d have just been anyway if this change didn’t exist. This is just extra steps for no real reason other than to say “hey we did something!” it seems. This doesn’t really prevent what you’re trying to stop from happening here.

It makes more work for the player/user, which should never be what we’d want on this site as a whole.

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
    SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
    Player Page

10-21-2019, 04:07 PMMike Izzy Wrote:
    10-21-2019, 03:48 PMEggy216 Wrote: It say all TPE earned before that date needs to be added before you regress. It doesn't say not to add anything else before you regress.

wait..when you say 'anything earned after xx is not subject to regression' ....that can be read as allowing you to add tpe past the regression number and TPE cut off date?

AFAIK, people have been applying TPE to their update, then regressing the amount of TPE specified by the regression post. When I first started updating I pointed out that this would allow people to occasionally avoid going below the thresholds that cap players' stats due to regression, but it had been standard procedure before and there was no rule against, so we just kept chugging along in the name of fairness.

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats
    [Image: YZjkK9Q.png] PORTAL [Image: rwqM7d3.png]
    Berserkers Elk Falcons Renegades Germany

Stats Pre-S53 || Stats S53+
    [Image: yXVPZSm.png] [Image: updates2.png]
    Outlaws Switzerland Wolfpack
    S53 All-Star and Richan Trophy Nominee
    S60 Jeff Dar Trophy Winner
    Never forget

10-21-2019, 04:37 PMJKortesi81 Wrote:
    10-21-2019, 04:28 PMArGarBarGar Wrote: Why would it be two posts?

Well now we have to wait for regression to be approved and then do another giant update with all of the other TPE we’d get in the next post.

That's untrue. Taking your teammate as an example, TDZ's regression is an example of how you can do it.

Wolfpack LW - Rainbow Dash - Updates Wolfpack
    [Image: zVOLkfl.png] [img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/eM6YKiW.gif[/img] [Image: zrRa4LD.png]
    [Image: zmHxxsq.png] Rainbow Dash Fan S24-Present [Image: zmHxxsq.png]
    Shl SHL Commissioner S34-S52 Shl
    Wolfpack New England Wolfpack GM S30-S40 Wolfpack
    Militia Montreal Milita Co-GM S26-S29 Militia

Doing it all at once was significantly easier. All this does is force people to take more TPE from their strengths to make sure the lesser attributes don’t go below the 85 or 82 or whatever threshold they’re at and want to avoid and then turn around and throw all of that TPE right back into those strength stats and get them back to where they’d have just been anyway if this change didn’t exist. This is just extra steps for no real reason other than to say “hey we did something!” it seems. This doesn’t really prevent what you’re trying to stop from happening here.

It makes more work for the player/user, which should never be what we’d want on this site as a whole.

I don't think I follow that at all. You can totally still make it one post - in fact, my regressions usually followed the format outlined by this rule once I got more familiar with the process.

-Here is my regression shit
    -Here is my regression build
    -Here is what I've gained since
    -Here's where I want to go

If anything, I could see this being more beneficial to players because then entire regression updates might not get tossed out because of bad math on something "post-regression" that would fall in the second half of the post.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
    Nikolai Evans
    | Player Page | Update Page

This wouldn't change the number of posts, just force regression before TPE earned in the same updating cycle is applied instead of applying TPE (usually to bank) and then regressing.

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats
    [Image: YZjkK9Q.png] PORTAL [Image: rwqM7d3.png]
    Berserkers Elk Falcons Renegades Germany

Stats Pre-S53 || Stats S53+
    [Image: yXVPZSm.png] [Image: updates2.png]
    Outlaws Switzerland Wolfpack
    S53 All-Star and Richan Trophy Nominee
    S60 Jeff Dar Trophy Winner
    Never forget
    (This post was last modified: 10-21-2019, 05:17 PM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

10-21-2019, 04:35 PMslothfacekilla Wrote:

Hopefully I don't get a smack down for speaking for HO, but since I had a small hand in crafting the language I'll give it a shot:

By allowing players to add TPE earned after the regression deadline to their build before they regress, players were allowed to push off the regression caps that is added to attributes once they fall below a certain threshold.  It was easy to add the tpe to your build so that regression would not bring you below those thresholds once you actually regress.  By restricting regression to only tpe earned prior to the posted date is more in line with the spirit of regression/regression caps than allowing players to push that further and further down the road.

^ This

Code:
    11th season: *regression begins in the off season between 10 and 11* 10% TPE loss. Once they drop to 85, all non-strength stats cannot be boosted beyond 85.
    12th season: 10% TPE loss.
    13th season: 10% TPE loss.
    14th season: 10% TPE loss.
    15th season: 15% TPE loss.
    16th season: 15% TPE loss.
    17th season: 15% TPE loss. Once they drop to 82, all non-strength stats cannot be boosted beyond 82.
    18th season: 18% TPE loss.
    19th season: 18% TPE loss.
    20th season: 18% TPE loss.

I know i lost an attribute to the '11th season 85 rule' 2 seasons back and can never build up that number again... eggys wording seems quite clear in its intent to me...it wouldnt make sense to allow all your tpe past the deadline, then there would be no reason to have regression rules.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

Knights|Dragons|Austria