Create Account

S50 WFT #4: Make The Case Round 2: STHS Edition

[Image: 1366581668-judgejoebrown.jpg]

THIS PT IS FOR SHL PLAYERS AND SEND DOWNS. IT IS NOT FOR SMJHL ROOKIES.

That's right folks, it's time for another edition of Make the Case, where you argue about a thing or some stuff. 

Task: Choose 1 or more of the topics below. Begin your task with the word 'For' or 'Against' and then make the case for what ever side you chose! If you see somebody spouting off some BS in their response, respond to their response with 'BS!' and counter them!

Every 'For', 'Against' or 'BS!' that meets the 25+ word criterion will receive 1 capped TPE; 10 or so people will be chosen as Participation+ members and will receive an additional uncapped TPE for demonstrating active argumentative fervor!

Deadline: 10pm ET on Sunday, October 27th

The topics:

Code:
It's (generally) worth it to invest points in your weakness

Code:
Strength is the most underrated attribute

Code:
Endurance is the most underrated attribute

Code:
Defense is an OVERRATED attribute

Code:
Line strategies (e.g., 1-1-3, 0-1-4) are underrated in their importance in the sim

Code:
Goalie size (not the size attribute but the goalie's actual height and weight) impact goalie performance

Code:
Reaction time is the single most important attribute for goalies

Code:
There should be more of a penalty for playing forwards out of position

Code:
It's better to pull the goalie early rather than leave them in if they're off to a rough start

Code:
Sacrificing a live animal (preferably a goat or a sheep) is the only way to appease Simon and guarantee sim success

For this MTC, if there's any STHS hot take not listed above that you'd like to argue, feel free to do that as well!

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

Sacrificing a live animal (preferably a goat or a sheep) is the only way to appease Simon and guarantee sim success

This is definitly true. When I played for the Edmonton Blizzard in Season 15 we sacrificed animals daily and it brought us a cup. That was the only time I sacrificed live animals as all the other teams I played for basically were pony loving pussies. Pony loving pussies do not sacrifice animals in order to cup success, hence I never won a cup with the other teams.

[Image: m38.gif]
Update Thread - Player Page
Update Scale

Former players:
Ivo Willems (S9 SMJHL) (S10-28 SHL)  
Xander Green  (S33-35 SMJHL) (S36-47 SHL)
Vorian Atreides (S49-51 SMJHL) (S52-61 SHL)

FOR Sacrificing a live animal (preferably a goat or a sheep) is the only way to appease Simon and guarantee sim success

I don't know why this is debate anymore and where there aren't guides in all sim league how to appease to every sim league god, here Simon rules and you should at least sacrifice 10 cattle before season.

[Image: Too9kfy.png]
 Player Page  |  Update Page

Code:

AGAINST

Everyone knows Simon is a fickle god and there is NOTHING POSSIBLE TO DO that can guarantee success. I'd be willing to kill goats, sheep, @SpartanGibbles best friend, or John Cena himself, but we know none of it will matter. Simon is a dick

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

This. 100% this. Sacrificing an soulless animal will only get you a winning record though. If you really want to appease the Simon, only a greater sacrifice will get you success. Something along the lines of a best friend, or family member. Only something with the emotional impact of a betrayal on that level will appease Simon.

[Image: horvat3.png]

For; dudes in real life absolutely crumble when played out of position it seems. Wingers playing center? Good luck winning a faceoff. Forwards playing defenseman? No way. I've seen forwards irl forced to cover for their defenders and it sometimes looks like they've never skated backwards before in their life.

FOR: We tried many things to appease Simon while Lyle was playing in St. Louis, none of which seemed to be reliable at all. Then one day, while I was driving into work, I hit a squirrel and from the aftermath I saw in my rear view mirror, the little nut gatherer did look like he was going to make it. That days sim was amazing for Lyle, he actually scored a frickin hat trick!! But Simon being the fickle bastard he is, the sim had to be redone due to some bad lineups on another team. The re sim wasn't as kind to Lyle, the hat trick did not happen again. And know that I think about, I don't know if he has scored since. So the only conclusion I can make is that the sacrifice of that squirrel initially fooled Simon, but when he realized that it was a squirrel sacrificed that day, not a goat or sheep, Lyle needed to be punished. I don't know of many places around me that have a goats or sheep, but if I every see one out while I'm driving they will need to keep their heads up!!

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

How are you supposed to take all those loud mouthed rats that run around the league and the ice during the games and use their feeble bodies to bench press without enormous strength? Honestly it's only taken for granted in most cases, but seriously is a super important underlying stat for both defenseman and centers, winger? Meh they can forget it...if they want to be crushed.

[Image: 4zfXx6o.gif]

AGAINST

Absolutely not. Defense is probably the single most important aspect in the sim. Not only does it contribute to the actual defensive ability a player has in the sim, but it also plays a huge factor on player positioning. On top of that, there is some DF that is factored in to how good offensively a player will be. There's a reason people are told to not put defense as a weakness, it is probably the most important attribute.

[Image: Otrebor13.gif]

[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]  [Image: gdppv5N.png]

For: it's generally worth it to invest points in your weakness

There comes a point in every hockey player's career where they need to strive for some amount of well-roundedness. For some of us who are power forwards and generally have a somewhat important attribute as a weakness (getting passing up was the worst experience of my life), it's basically a necessity. For others, it could just be a desire to be useful in fantasy for just a couple of seasons when they're basically maxed out elsewhere and just want more than 20 hits in a season.

[Image: gotze_team_siggy.png]
[Image: lKRNHAn.png]

Code:

FOR

If you think about it the defense is only there to bail out the offense when they should be scoring. The best "defense" will always be an offense who cannot stop scoring. Wheel, snipe, and celly only get fans, defense gets you bruised and lost teeth.

[Image: szY1Nbi.png]
[Image: vwglei8.png]
Left Winger - Gylfi Eriksson
Update Page  ====  Player Page

Quote:Strength is the most underrated attribute

For: I think everyone knows that strength is important for centers because it has a minor impact on faceoffs, but no one should be ignoring strength in general because it helps you keep the puck when you get hit, which means fewer turnovers and better possession stats.

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]
(This post was last modified: 10-25-2019, 10:28 AM by RomanesEuntDomus.)

Quote:It's (generally) worth it to invest points in your weakness

Let's face it, most Skaters have checking as their Weakness but Checking is fun and definitely worth investing some points into. It can help put you in the race for some extra awards, the additional hits can help your team on the ice and, most importantly, you don't need to invest a ton for there to be a noticeable effect. Depending on the makeup of your team, Checking in the 60-70 can already be enough to make a difference and you don't push to have it into the 80s as you would with most other attributes.

Code:
It's (generally) worth it to invest points in your weakness
It depends on your weakness and where you are in your development. I mean it's normally worth it but at a much more delayed pace than your other attributes.

Code:
No. It's not very helpful for anything - even if it is one of the least updated attributes I don't think it really does a whole lot. Skating is most underrated.

Code:
Endurance is the most underrated attribute
Nah. I think it's generally regarded pretty accurately.

Code:
No. It's the most important attribute and impacts more than just defensive play/ability. It's a top two most important attribute.

Code:
Line strategies (e.g., 1-1-3, 0-1-4) are underrated in their importance in the sim
Probably. They are one of the most important things and while I do hate the strategy system in STHS, they can definitely make or break your performance and it is important to match them to your personnel and opponents.

Code:
Like in terms of RW/LW/C moving around? No. It wouldn't make ant sense with the way player career paths are. Maybe if we had people choose two positions and then playing at the third was a penalty it could be intriguing.

Code:
It's better to pull the goalie early rather than leave them in if they're off to a rough start
Not if the backup is shit.

Code:
No... I've tried it and it definitely doesn't work.

[Image: Marius_buffalo.png]

08-24-2018, 01:08 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Ah yes, the veteran meme player. A surefire bet for maybe 400 TPE Tongue
05-23-2020, 02:25 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: Scoop AINEC
[Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif] [Image: Skree.gif]

[Image: Poppity.png]
^^^^^ Thank you JSSSSS
[Image: Poopity_Scoop_1.png]
^^^^Credits to Snussu^^^^

[Image: Scoop.png]

Quote:Line strategies (e.g., 1-1-3, 0-1-4) are underrated in their importance in the sim

BS!

Most GMs are well aware of line strategies and their importance and I would even argue that they are overrated to an extent, judging by the seemingly endless discussions I have witnessed about adding or taking away a single offensive point in the strats.