Create Account

S50 WFT #4: Make The Case Round 2: STHS Edition

'Defense is an OVERRATED attribute'

Against. Defense is so damn important in Simon T because of it's effect on goal scoring. It really makes no sense why it needs to be that powerful, but it should be a strength in any build

Battleborn  Finland     [Image: QwTZD8C.png]   [Image: uJXrVDL.png]  [Image: iemKOIk.png]     Finland  Battleborn

[Image: ecaJZ6D.jpg]
[Image: flowseidon.gif]
[Image: PRedauw.png]

Code:
Code:
Sacrificing a live animal (preferably a goat or a sheep) is the only way to appease Simon and guarantee sim success

For. I, for one, recommend sacrificing a goat before every playoff series and regular season. Unfortunately, I didn't do sacrifice any this year and it can be seen in the way Manhattan performed.

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

Sacrificing a live animal (preferably a goat or a sheep) is the only way to appease Simon and guarantee sim success

BS! Sacrificing a live animal is certainly the way to go, but the approach that many take in sacrificing a goat or sheep is all wrong. The best thing to sacrifice is raccoons. Over many seasons in sim leagues raccoons have led to the most success for me

Goalie size (not the size attribute but the goalie's actual height and weight) impact goalie performance

This is true or otherwise I'd be good by now. Seriously I have like top 3 goalie tpe in the league why the fuck do i suck simon

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2019, 09:13 PM by bilbo.)

Code:
Defense is an OVERRATED attribute
Against - You're an overrated attribute if you think defense is an overrated attribute. Even forwards should be pouring their TPE into defense. It helps all around and if anyone tells you otherwise, heck em.

[Image: 56791_s.gif]

sigs by sulovilen, slothfacekilla, Flareon
Current: Wolfpack raiders Uk | Alumni: Inferno pride Knights Germany

Defense is important, without a doubt. Important enough that you should never make it your weakness. But it is overrated. You can be good with lower defense. Defense is still just a supporting attribute, and building a strong build otherwise with you primary attributes with good ratios can be supported with lower defense.

[Image: symmetrik.gif]

Prince George Firebirds GM (S34-S36)
Toronto North Stars GM (S37-S43)
[Image: XtyrY3M.png]
(This post was last modified: 10-27-2019, 09:35 PM by Ferda.)

Quote:It's better to pull the goalie early rather than leave them in if they're off to a rough start

FOR

Can we just pull @toirekari every game after he lets in a goal. It's unacceptable to not have a 1.000 GAA and a 0 GA on the entire season as a sophmore goalie. The Armada expect the best and letting in goals is a detriment to our chances of winning. If you forgot how to win a hockey game, you need to score more goals than your opponent and having Budgie give up even 1 goal is concerning and threatening to the Armada's success.

[Image: image.png]
[Image: dankestmemes69420.gif]

[Image: vhY18i8.png] [Image: gs89eGV.png] [Image: nBgNUTY.png]
Armada        Canada        Stampede
Falcons        Usa

10-27-2019, 10:31 AMc00kies Wrote: There should be more of a penalty for playing forwards out of position.

FOR: though with a caveat... it shouldn't make you necessarily worse playing out of position, but it should have an effect on your play. For example,  a left winger playing on the right wing might seem like a downgrade (and maybe it is) but it could be offset by having a onetimer setup, so the fit might be better for at least for one scenario (maybe a power play idea).

IIHF allows your to change from D to F without any penalty at all... I’ve never been a fan of that.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Code:

To bad the options are just “For”, “Against”, and “BS”, as I think in this rare occurrence that the term “Push” could be used.

But for argument’s sake, I will have to go with “against” in this case. While the attribute is called “defense,” but in reality it should be called “hockey IQ.” It is more a stat to determine positioning on ice more than actual defensive play. A player that can read the play and position themselves in the right place more often than not, will be effective in all three zones on the ice. From shot blocking, pass intercepts, to setting up for one-timers, positioning is vital to an elite player’s game. When you look at many of the top players in the SHL, one of the higher stats is typically defense. This is because they know that in order to claim scoring titles, etcetera, that positioning their players is vital for it.

The only reason I will say that defense can be overrated at times, is when teams strategies overly use defensive setups (ie CK-0, DF-3, OF-2). This can cause players with a high defense to become to defensive in their play, that offensively they are not as aggressive, and therefore are playing in their own zone far too often. Team strategies do have a major impact on how players play their games, especially those with a high defense stat.

[Image: BUzKbLn.png]

[Image: 5p7vOwY.png]  |  [Image: NA3IV5m.png]

Code:
It's (generally) worth it to invest points in your weakness
Against. I think getting your weakness to 60 could be worth it at higher TPE levels but past that it's extremely cost inefficient. Especially with a large portion of people with checking as weakness.

Code:
Strength is the most underrated attribute

For. I think it can be indirectly tied to a puck possession stat. It gives centers a better chance to win draws and gives anyone the chance to skate away from being hit while keeping the puck.

Code:
Endurance is the most underrated attribute
Against. I think it's perceived value is at a fine spot. Teams balance their line usage to keep players from running out of stamina as it is.

Code:
Against. Defense is a great all rounder stat, I've been told it's more in line with hockey IQ. It also helps with positioning which in turn helps your offensive output as well.

Code:
Line strategies (e.g., 1-1-3, 0-1-4) are underrated in their importance in the sim
For. In my small experience of test simming, running a weak 4th line at 0-3-2 instead of 0-1-4 gave them a way better plus/minus. A team's overall line strategies can be used to pull even more out of the players.

Code:
There should be more of a penalty for playing forwards out of position
For. When you see a forward get caught on a 2 on 1 or even 1 on 1 in the NHL it's pretty obvious. I think there should be a small penalty like -20% to defensive stat.

Code:
It's better to pull the goalie early rather than leave them in if they're off to a rough start
Against. I don't have experience with this, but I think from a sim viewpoint I think you want to leave your best goalie in since we lock mental stats.

Code:
For. This is the preferred method of tribute for god. I believe doing this would give one full season of success if you correctly preform the ritual.

[Image: jrousseau.gif]
[Image: j7ebBxQ.png] [Image: FbT2Pb1.png]
Canada Knights Canada Knights Canada

> It's (generally) worth it to invest points in your weakness

Agree. Come on, are you saying that since I am a defenseman, I shouldn't invest in scoring at all? That's incredibly ridiculous and does nothing to keep that fact

[Image: MCP_.gif]
     [Image: ICON1.png][Image: lions-button-updates.png]

Nope. I was on 9 assists with two games left in the regular season and I was begging to hit double digits. @SpartanGibbles has a lil prayer to Simon T and worked his magic. Next thing you know, I get my tenth assist (Gibbles got the primary assist) in game 49 and another in the season finale.

[Image: noahshl.gif]

Switzerland Outlaws Chiefs  Player Page  Updates  Chiefs Outlaws Switzerland