Create Account

S50 WFT #4: Make The Case Round 2: STHS Edition

Code:
It's (generally) worth it to invest points in your weakness

I agree with this statement. I think it's definitely worth investing points at least to to 60 for your weakness. The higher up your other stats are, dropping 2 points each increase up to 60 isn't too big of a hit and you should see good improvement.

A side bonus is it may get you a chance at an additional milestone come end of the season, so now this relatively small investment to bump up a weakness can actually pay off in free tpe. And it's an investment, one you make it you get to keep it.

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

Code:
There should be more of a penalty for playing forwards out of position

This is something I could get behind to be honest. I think forcing teams to build around having a minimum of four centers, 8 wingers and 6 defensemen is a good thing. I honestly think that adding in a cap for faceoff for wingers, and caps elsewhere for centers (or forcing a face-off strength) would force teams into building this way. You dont see wingers being lined up at center unless for injury in the NHL so why should that happen here just because you have an absurdly high tpe winger with higher faceoff. In addition with everyone having high defense what is the point behind actually fielding 6 defensmen when you could have your 99 defense two way forward there who might have the same effect as the offensive defensmen. I think we get into issues with the sim engine and our stat values already being inflated high so the punishments would have to be from HO. Id suggest a fine to the person who submits the lines (a small fine, but a fine) if the team runs with a forward out of position for a season there should also be a point penalty as this I believe goes against the integrity of the league. 

Rant over this i think is more than 25 words...

Code:
Reaction time is the single most important attribute for goalies

AGAINST. While it can be argued that Reaction Time is fairly important, Hand Speed and Size Control play just as important a role, if not more important. There's also, in my opinion, the undervaluing of Rebound Control, as I've seen time and time again that goals are often scored on rebounds.

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!

Sacrificing a live animal (preferably a goat or a sheep) is the only way to appease Simon and guarantee sim success

This is a true fact as I think we can all agree that SimonT is indeed the anti Christ. We in the Chicago locker room have been experimenting with different animals and different blood types. We haven't found the exact combination but I am sure we will get there eventually.

Tibuk Soonika - G - Tampa Bay Barracuda| Portal Page
BarracudaSwitzerlandKnights

Code:

I think this makes intuitive sense. If the player has trained and has the most experience with one forward position, they should not be able to perform with equal value as another person with the same stats with more experience in another forward position, at least not right off the bat.

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats
[Image: YZjkK9Q.png] PORTAL [Image: rwqM7d3.png]
Berserkers Elk Falcons Renegades Germany

Stats Pre-S53 || Stats S53+
[Image: yXVPZSm.png] [Image: updates2.png]
Outlaws Switzerland Wolfpack
S53 All-Star and Richan Trophy Nominee
S60 Jeff Dar Trophy Winner
Never forget

Code:
Defense is an OVERRATED attribute

Against. All you ever hear from everyone is defense is the most important thing, and we even had a thread about taking defense away from weaknesses because basically the mentors have to go talk people down from making a terrible decision. I wanted to build a purely offensive player and I'm about to have defense as my first 99 attribute.

In real life though it is. Run and gun all day.

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

Heavily against.
Having a 99 defence as a winger made my player great in his prime. My points output and plus/minus can be almost directly correlated to my defence attribute. The higher it is, the more shots I got and the less goals against I was on the ice for. Maybe it doesn't look useful at first glance, but digging into it, Defence is extremely key for all positions.

Player Page --- Update Page
[Image: twils.gif]
Picture credit to Allen, Jenny, enigmatic, Wasty, ckroyal92, 701, and EJ

300+ Career Goals, 750+ Career Points
5th All-Time Goals Scored for WKP,
8th All-Time Goals Scored for SEA/TBB
3rd All-Time in Playoff Points
17th All-Time in Goals

6 Consecutive 50+ Point Seasons, 7 Total
Quote:"idc if ur naked if ur holding that cup" -Jenny

Code:
It's (generally) worth it to invest points in your weakness
For:
I feel like its always a good idea to try and improve what you are the worst at. I also feel like the decision also depends on what your weakness is. The more i learn about simon T hockey simulator, the more i learn about how the metrics interact. As one of the ~80% of players with checking as a weakness, i thought that just meant that i would focus more on being open to rip clappers, but it has led to a lack of aggression in the neutral zone, and driven my corsi down. I expect that i will invest some points in checking before i've maxed out my others.

Code:
Strength is the most underrated attribute
For:
Strength affects practically all of the other attributes. faceoffs, checking, fighting, are all easily influenced by your strength. A bit of strength helps you win board battles and not get punked by some dweeb with <50 checking, or if he does pop you, you don't lose the puck.

Code:
Endurance is the most underrated attribute
Against:
My initial build, before my free first-gen build change, had endurance as one of my strengths. in my mind, i would need it to cruise around the ice in a perpetual sprint. Every GM/vet that ive talked to has said that its dumb. Reasonably so. while a young player in the J, or a rookie in the show, your forward will be pretty comfortable with the ice time, only occasionally getting fatigued (and then getting beat or taking dumb penalties). If you have an elite pairing of defensemen who could play 30+ minutes a night, would be the only time that having endurance as a strength would make sense.

Code:
Against:
Defense wins championships. particularly with how simon T interprets it. Defense is more than skating backwards and body position, but its where your player needs to be on the ice. whether its to block a shot or to gather a loose puck and start the offense, the defense attribute affects all. I'm curious as to whether a team with all of the same stats but 99 scoring and 40 defense would beat a team with the same stats but 40 scoring and 99 defense.

Code:
For:
Logically, yes. And as an Edmonton player, thats not the best outlook for my team. I think there should be penalties for wings playing center, or a smaller penalty for wings playing the opposite side (same with D). No punishments for Centers playing wing. the punishment could be something like -3 to DE, SC, SK, EN, for wrong side, and -8 to DE, SC, FO? those seem harsh and arbitrary, especially because most wings wont put points into FO. I am pro "full sim" with injuries and weaker players, so i understand why the rest of the league might not be interested in seeing their forced C suddenly realize that he is playing slightly out of position. adding "positional versatility" could be a potential strength to add, but thats a little more role-playing-game and less numbers based sim.

Code:
It's better to pull the goalie early rather than leave them in if they're off to a rough start
For:
There is a great wall street journal article about this, but it mostly focuses on end game scenarios. its a simulation. it would be pretty cool if there was a "mental health" attribute and a "locker room guy" attribute (like the morale, leadership, etc. that are there but locked at ~70). However, its just a bunch of numbers. there are no egos to balance. the guys behind the keyboard dont get pissed at the GM/coach because they were kept in and getting shelled. i say pull early.

Code:
Sacrificing a live animal (preferably a goat or a sheep) is the only way to appease Simon and guarantee sim success
For:
Goats and sheep ruin the farm scene for the cows. A few seasons ago, Kim Jong Fun ran over a doberman on his way to the arena, and it sparked the meme team 1.0. unfortunately, the owner came forward a week into the postseason run and pressed charges, revealing to Simon that the blood sacrifice was accidental, and not in his great simulated name. The Raptors lost in the finals and Kimmy's license was suspended. @Good_Ole_Kimmy

Player Page || Player Updates || Visual History

Code:

Against, everytime I have done testing in simon T hockey Simulator I've always found that a player regardless of position (forward or Defense) has to have a high defence stat or they'll not hlbe able to to be optimum for putting up goals and assists. They're also a detriment to there team going forward.

Code:
Line strategies (e.g., 1-1-3, 0-1-4) are underrated in their importance in the sim
BS

Yaaa I'm gonna have to go ahead and call bull shit on this one. I'm sorry but these lines pander to nobody and honestly are just really bad. The only teams that run the trap nowadays are the teams that are poorly managed and have no real players on their team. Get this shit ass spread out of my face.

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

Quote:Sacrificing a live animal (preferably a goat or a sheep) is the only way to appease Simon and guarantee sim success

While this is usually the common way to turn the favors to your advantage, there is a better, lesser known way to achieve success. You need to approach your simmer and proceed with illicit transactions to get your desired outcome. How else do you think Tampa is first in the east?

[Image: Kalakar1.gif]

"Sacrificing a live animal (preferably a goat or a sheep) is the only way to appease Simon and guarantee sim success"

This is inequitably, irrevocably, and most of all inexcusably, FALSE! Simon cares not for your petty ways or primitive sacrifices! All are equal under the eyes of Simon, EQUALLY WORTHLESS in his eyes! There is only true freedom in Simon's disregard for your appeasements!

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

waiting to see if anybody will have the FORTITUDE to argue that defense is overrated

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

Code:

Probably true. I've been saying for a long time, Simon decides your team's fate at the beginning of the season. If your team isn't playing well and you know they should be performing better, you just got the bad end of the stick. You can make line changes, moves, but it's already been decided how your team will do. Can't do anything, but watch it go down. Sacrifice something before the season and try your luck that way.

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
15-6-0
Regular Season - [G 2] [A 3] [Pts 5] [+/- +6] [PIM 10] [Hits 12] [SB 38]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

Against

The only way to appease Simon and guarantee sim success is to be a simmer, record your sims over and over until you get a sim you like and then broadcast it as "live", hoodwinking everyone

[Image: WuRZxKN.png]
Player Twitter
Kryyst: Player Page | Update Page
Stinson:Player Page