Create Account

S50 WFT #4: Make The Case Round 2: STHS Edition

Quote:Reaction time is the single most important attribute for goalies

Against. There are many different opinions about this, but I go with the theory that there are three primary attributes that are equally important. Being a hybrid goalie those are my strengths. Reaction time is only one of them, while the other two are Hand Speed and Size Control.

Quote:Sacrificing a live animal (preferably a goat or a sheep) is the only way to appease Simon and guarantee sim success

FOR. @JNH and I have experimented with this in the past and goats seem to be the animals to go for here (FYI don't try monkeys!). Goats seem to work especially well in the playoffs, because I remember that one time we forgot to sacrifice one and the team lost.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]

It's (generally) worth it to invest points in your weakness

depends really - if your weakness is checking then obviously it doesn't make a lot of sense to put points in if you're not planning on making a physical player. For a weakness in defense or puck handling, it would be a lot more worth it to put points into those rather than a weakness in checking. Non-physical players have a chance to reach their ceilings and be more effective SHL players quicker because of this imo.

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

Code:
Sacrificing a live animal (preferably a goat or a sheep) is the only way to appease Simon and guarantee sim success
For, without going into too much detail, how the fuck do you think the S48 Whalers won the 4 star cup? Better yet, how do you think @Nokazoa has both a 4 star cup, and a Challenge Cup without actually playing a single game in either series? Its all ritualistic sacrifice, rip ominous...

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

Playing forwards out of position should be penalised.

For. This is currently the case with me playing on the left instead of the right. I made a right winger, I wanna play on the right. Note that I have nothing against Esa for doing so, it's just the way SHL be and do. If the standard was everyone played their positions, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

[Image: first.png]
[img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img][img=0x0]https://i.imgur.com/rWt4AB3.png[/img]
Maxime Bouchard
Armada Dragons Info - Updates  Dragons Armada
Richard Dickbutt McFudderdudder II
Armada Info - Updates Armada

Code:
It's (generally) worth it to invest points in your weakness

I'd love to say this depends on your weakness, if you decide you need a decision maker as your weakness then yes, but what people should be doing is picking a weakness that they can leave at 40 so that TPE can be used in other places. Having to pay double for the first 20 and three times the cost on the next 10 points added to a weakness attribute is just not worth it. Once you are close to a maxed out build I don't mind the idea of spending a bit there, but mostly people should be picking a stat they expect to keep at 40 as their weakness.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Goalie size (not the size attribute but the goalie's actual height and weight) impact goalie performance

This is true. I don't care that Simon Says it isnt, we've been running tests in NOLA because it's been just baffling how for most seasons Aleister Cain has been maxed out but performing so terribly. We ran one simulation using a 5'9 goalie who was less than 200 pounds for like 500 games, and then ran the same exact simulation, just bumping that goalie up to 6'8 280, and his numbers DRASTICALLY improved. There's a reason why the "consistently" good goalies in the league like Blue, Robinson, and Tuck are all like 6'4 or higher, even with lesser TPE at times. It matters. Fuck "size".

[Image: JKortesi81.gif]
SpectersScarecrowsDragonsBlizzardUsaSpectersMilitiaDragonsBlizzardScarecrows

Update Page
Player Page

Defense is an OVERRATED attribute
Against - I believe it's the single most important attribute. Every attribute has it's own significance, but defense is required to make the player viable. I wouldn't say it's overrated, but rather it's required. Don't skimp on defense!

Sacrificing a live animal (preferably a goat or a sheep) is the only way to appease Simon and guarantee sim success
For - Ok maybe it's not the only way, but at the end of the day it's a single simulation. You can do all the tests you want to improve your chances, but you will never get guaranteed results. Sometimes it just happens to be that one sim where you suck.

Thanks for the sig ragnar!
[Image: scholz.png]

pride Armada  Player Page || Update Page  Germany pride

Code:
Defense is an OVERRATED attribute

Going against this one, having a defensive attribute in Simon T reflects that you can get the puck very often and convert that chance on offence most of the time. It also gives a huge defensive boost to your team. I remember Haz when he Jets co-GM told me to change one of my strengths to defense as it was a mandatory thing for all of his players to have. And it resulted in my best point production season with my first player.

[Image: Crossfit.gif]

[Image: CFJ1.gif]

Thanks to prettyburn, TML, Carpy, JNH, Jepox, Engi, Karey, Flappy, Skolpadder, Mook, DollarAndADream, Smirnov and Toe for the sigs.

Code:
Crossfit's First Career SHL Goal, 4. Manhattan Rage , Crossfit Jesus 1 (Pedro Sarantez, Nucky Toohoots) at 5:51

Code:
Devitt's First Career SHL Goal, 5. Calgary Dragons , Prince Devitt 1 (Barry Batsbak 21, Mike Izzy 14) at 10:43

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2019, 02:05 PM by charlieconway.)

Quote:There should be more of a penalty for playing forwards out of position

Extremely FOR

I would go as far as to say that it should extend to defense (more on that in a minute).

When you watch a game of NHL hockey, and you see a forward playing defense on a powerplay, it's largely the same as if a defender was in that same position... until there's a rush against by the penalty killers. Then you see the instincts of the forward come into play, instincts that are all wrong for the position. There are tendencies you build up when you play at a position for your entire career that don't just get pushed aside when it suits you.

Forwards on power-play defense should be exploitable. At the very least, it should lead to more short-handed opportunities against the offending team. That way, you still allow the team to fill in a D spot and maintain that offensive power with the extra man, but you wind up with a weaker defensive presence because of it. There needs to be a downside.

Forwards on defense on the PK or in regulation should be constantly exploitable. You're asking a player to play in a position whose tendencies are often the opposite of what they're used to. It should be a risk to do it.
The tough part, of course, is that Defense is such a catch-all attribute that many forward and defense builds are mostly similar, and so I don't even know if there's any difference taken into account by STHS.

--

As for defense...

The sim should take handedness into consideration. A left-shooting defender would be better in their own zone when set to the LD position, and a right-shooting defender would be better as a RD. The opposite would hold true in the offensive zone when it comes to point shots on the powerplay; you'd have a right-handed shooter on the left, so as to open up the shot selection. Think Shea Weber in Montreal. He plays on the right side in all situations other than the power-play, where he's an LD.

How would you handle it in terms of existing players?
Give every defender a one-time chance to change their handedness to best fit their team.

Once that's done, you'll be left with an extra dimension in terms of strategy, as it won't be just about finding a defender that can perform well, but also that plays on the right side of the ice to get the most bang for your TPE.

[Image: 9ZNnX19.png]

Canada | Player Page | Grizzlies | Player Updates | Inferno

Code:

This is obviously true. I would guess that this is why the Scarecrows are having a tough season. I'm generally a pacifist and I love animals, so I refuse to placate Simon's unholy blood-lust.

[Image: MrStennett08.gif]

Scarecrows Usa Blizzard Panthers Patriotes Stars

(This post was last modified: 10-25-2019, 02:15 PM by StadiumGambler.)

Code:
Code:
Goalie RNG is a thing that exists in STHS

FOR! Goalie RNG is ridiculous and more than a lot of other factors is what ultimately determines a team's fate. Look at Aleister Cain, guy has a maxed or near maxed build, great team in front of him in New Orleans, but has had some really weird seasons that limited the team's maximum potential. Chris Partridge and Sebastian Primeau are more examples of elite netminders on paper that let past playoff caliber team down because Simon T. IFA fringe starter Cedric Moreau had an excellent performance that got the Jets into the Cup finals in S48 somehow. Michael McFadden was deep in the throes of regression and ended up setting some record in Season 44.

Granted, goalie RNG exists a bit in real life, I'm sure every NHL team had a hot backup or short-term starter that had an excellent half a year to two years then was never heard from again, or a star that had a brutal near-.900 year then reumed normal play afterwards, but I think Simon T overdoes it. Either that or Scoring is such an OP attribute that it skews everything.

[Image: 0K3YdqN.png]

Agent of Nick Brain: Center/Right Winger - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of John Torrance: Advisor to the General Manager - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of Anatoli Terrorov: Head Coach - Colorado Raptors

Nick Brain Player Profile: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91326
Nick Brain Update Thread: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91332

10-25-2019, 01:43 PMWeretarantula Wrote: Playing forwards out of position should be penalised.

For. This is currently the case with me playing on the left instead of the right. I made a right winger, I wanna play on the right. Note that I have nothing against Esa for doing so, it's just the way SHL be and do. If the standard was everyone played their positions, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

i think you're conceptually right... this would make things so much more difficult as a GM lol. it's such a nice cushion to be able to treat forwards essentially as a pool and not have to worry about who slots in where

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

10-25-2019, 02:14 PMStadiumGambler Wrote: Code:
Code:
Goalie RNG is a thing that exists in STHS

FOR! Goalie RNG is ridiculous and more than a lot of other factors is what ultimately determines a team's fate. Look at Aleister Cain, guy has a maxed or near maxed build, great team in front of him in New Orleans, but has had some really weird seasons that limited the team's maximum potential. Chris Partridge and Sebastian Primeau are more examples of elite netminders on paper that let past playoff caliber team down because Simon T. IFA fringe starter Cedric Moreau had an excellent performance that got the Jets into the Cup finals in S48 somehow. Michael McFadden was deep in the throes of regression and ended up setting some record in Season 44.

Granted, goalie RNG exists a bit in real life, I'm sure every NHL team had a hot backup or short-term starter that had an excellent half a year to two years then was never heard from again, or a star that had a brutal near-.900 year then reumed normal play afterwards, but I think Simon T overdoes it. Either that or Scoring is such an OP attribute that it skews everything.

BIG time agree. Leitner went from putting up an all-time goalie season, taking home MVP and bet goalie awards, to being one of the consistently worst in the league. dropped his sv% by like 50 whole points lmao. I wonder if there's anything that makes goalies more or less susceptible or if it's truly completely random

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

Sacrificing a live animal (preferably a goat or a sheep) is the only way to appease Simon and guarantee sim success.

For. However, I've found the best results come from sacrificing a live Chicken. Then we make chicken parm out of it and gain even more power. Been doing this behind the scenes for years.

---> ParmBorg Highlights <---
[Image: cgv4vCv.png] Goal[Image: 95lCCDx.png]
[Image: parmborg.gif]

[Image: steelhead77.gif]

#1 All-Time SHL Goal & Point Scorer 
- First 2,000 TPE Player in SHL History - 
- First 400 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- Only 500 Goal Scorer in SHL History -
- First GM to Win 5 & 6 Challenge Cups -
Esa Anrikkanen Award - SMJHL ROY - Est. S34
Vidrik Onoprienko Award Winner - S45

Dragonite[Image: 271.png][Image: 291.png][Image: 321.png][Image: 401.png][Image: 42banner2.png][Image: r-Wt4-AB350oooo.png] Dragonite

Endurance is the most underrated attribute

I was FOR this prior to the season, then I put a bunch of TPE into endurance and my player is performing worse or similar, so now I am AGAINST. It is always good to have a decent amount of Endurance, perhaps up to 80, but anything more than that seems to be a waste. Or maybe it's just because I'm on a terrible team. Certainly not an underrated attribute. Don't waste your hard earned teps.