Create Account

Larger and Fewer Hot Potato Articles

Don't get me wrong, I love the hot potato in concept and it's a great money opportunity for people on the site that engages a bunch of players across the league, but right now about half the posts on SMJHL media are hot potato posts, and I've heard a bunch of people complain about how it's just generally too many articles for not a lot of content.

As an alternative, I think it would be best to make weekly submissions. Perhaps have multiple people work on one article for them and divide the pay up appropriately? I just think having media flooded with these posts not filled with more than around 400 words each is impractical and a bit of an eyesore, whereas bigger posts that are more spread out would be generally better for everyone.

@bbjygm I'm fairly sure you're the coordinator for hot potato, correct me if I'm wrong. This is just a suggestion that I feel many would like implemented. Thanks!

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

don't be a tater hater

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

yes yes and yes

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

10-30-2019, 03:20 PMhotdog Wrote: don't be a tater hater

you dont be a tater hataer

don't be a spud chud

thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

10-30-2019, 03:36 PMhotdog Wrote: don't be a spud chud

dont be a hot dog

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

On one hand, I get it because just looking at the SMJHL section now it is dominated by the Potato. But I'm also mildly surprised at people wanting less content on this site, especially since the Potato write ups don't really jump out at you if you browse the much more active SHL Media section where the grading backlog seems to be about the same date.

So maybe we can figure out a way to stimulate more SMJHL quality media? I know I put effort into every Potato post I write, looking at player/team stats and trends so I can provide actual sim info, and I also try to inject humor and create a silly narrative if possible. So it isn't like I'm just saying "This guy had the Potato for a period, then he hit someone. That was fun." I even get my Potato articles graded at a lower payout than others (I think I got paid almost half per word as the other payouts in my grading batch) so it isn't like we are trying to scam the system or something either.

Also due to various things with the sim and our real lives, we had a backup of articles near the end of the season and we pushed out a ton to catch up. I think that is skewing the optics on the SMJHL media page a bit, but maybe that was always destined to happen with the content level in that section?

In the end it doesn't matter much to me either way because I would rather do what keeps people happy and engaged on the site, I just wanted to put in my thoughts as a writer.

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

10-30-2019, 03:58 PMslothfacekilla Wrote: So maybe we can figure out a way to stimulate more SMJHL quality media?  I know I put effort into every Potato post I write, looking at player/team stats and trends so I can provide actual sim info, and I also try to inject humor and create a silly narrative if possible.  So it isn't like I'm just saying "This guy had the Potato for a period, then he hit someone.  That was fun."  I even get my Potato articles graded at a lower payout than others (I think I got paid almost half per word as the other payouts in my grading batch) so it isn't like we are trying to scam the system or something either.  

Oh no I know both things you said aren't the case at all; and I've read a bunch of the hot potato posts and find you all manage to be quite creative with something that requires a lot of creativity to avoid repetition. I also know that it has nothing to do with the system getting gamed, as bigger posts would probably yield more money than the way it's done now anyway.

I think the simple way to stimulate more/better media is to increase the pay scale. I've always been a fan of the idea of making the pay 300k per 200 words, so 1.5mil for 1k words, and 3mil for 1k on double media weeks. Media should be something more incentivized, because now it kind of feels like something people are forced into if they need to make ends meet for training and/or equipment.

I would also be a fan of giving significantly bigger bonuses to better quality articles instead of essentially grading all words equally, but then we hit a grey area of subjectivity that is many problems waiting to happen.

If clutter is the issue why not create a sub forum in the media section to post hot potato in? That way the content is still there for people who want it/want to make money and it’s not always in the way for those who don’t want it

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

10-30-2019, 03:49 PMTnlAstatine Wrote:
10-30-2019, 03:36 PMhotdog Wrote: don't be a spud chud

dont be a hot dog

sounds like that onus is on you for being attracted to dogs in the first place

Armada Inferno norway

Inb4 complaints about legacy tournament

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

10-30-2019, 04:24 PMBDonini Wrote: If clutter is the issue why not create a sub forum in the media section to post hot potato in? That way the content is still there for people who want it/want to make money and it’s not always in the way for those who don’t want it

Maybe SMJHL and SHL can both have sub-forums for "Ongoing Media Series" or something if people don't like seeing the same formatted subject over and over in the main media section? Thinking both Potato and Legacy (and other similar situations) since Slash alluded to it.

It feels like it kinda kills potential engagement though.

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

10-30-2019, 05:06 PMSlashACM Wrote: Inb4 complaints about legacy tournament

Nah you're safe...for now Ninja

10-30-2019, 06:32 PMGwdjohnson Wrote:
10-30-2019, 05:06 PMSlashACM Wrote: Inb4 complaints about legacy tournament

Nah you're safe...for now Ninja

Already got some

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

10-30-2019, 03:18 PMGwdjohnson Wrote: Don't get me wrong, I love the hot potato in concept and it's a great money opportunity for people on the site that engages a bunch of players across the league, but right now about half the posts on SMJHL media are hot potato posts, and I've heard a bunch of people complain about how it's just generally too many articles for not a lot of content.

As an alternative, I think it would be best to make weekly submissions. Perhaps have multiple people work on one article for them and divide the pay up appropriately? I just think having media flooded with these posts not filled with more than around 400 words each is impractical and a bit of an eyesore, whereas bigger posts that are more spread out would be generally better for everyone.

@bbjygm I'm fairly sure you're the coordinator for hot potato, correct me if I'm wrong. This is just a suggestion that I feel many would like implemented. Thanks!

I hear you on there being a lot of articles, partially because we got behind a week and caught up real quick and partially because an average of 1 article comes out every day on each media forum during the season. However, I don't think these complaints are valid enough to warrant a change to the system (sans HO intervention).

All the articles are clearly labelled "Hot Potato" so it's easily avoidable and I'm not convinced the presence of multiple hot potato articles in the media forum dissuades people from writing their own media. If we consolidated the writing into fewer, larger articles, there'd still be the same amount of reading as before and in a much more formidable wall of text. And what's impractical and eyesore-ish about the daily articles? This is an internet forum, just scroll past the titles you don't want to read. I'm not forcing anyone to keep up with the event.

No offense to you or anything, I'm just not convinced it's a significant enough problem to require a change.

hodOOOOr'hOOOdoooooooor hoooodor hOOdOOORRRR, Hooooooodooooorrrr HoooooddddddddoooooooRRRR

SMJHL Stats || SHL Stats
[Image: YZjkK9Q.png] PORTAL [Image: rwqM7d3.png]
Berserkers Elk Falcons Renegades Germany

Stats Pre-S53 || Stats S53+
[Image: yXVPZSm.png] [Image: updates2.png]
Outlaws Switzerland Wolfpack
S53 All-Star and Richan Trophy Nominee
S60 Jeff Dar Trophy Winner
Never forget