Create Account

Article Diversity

Hey everyone, just wanted to pitch the idea of doing weekly topics for a small media bonus (1.5x) for writing articles about said topics. It might be nice to incentivise some diversity in the media section and it might help people think of different topics to write about.

I'd say we have 2 different types running simultaneously. 1st type would be team based. We rotate through the teams every week and if you write media about that team you get the bonus (each team would get a week approx. every 2 seasons). 2nd type would be the style of article: Stat-based/sim articles, serious fiction, non-serious fiction, Meta, History, etc. The goal would be to rotate through 1 topic per week per season (and we'd keep the regular 2x for draft articles at that time).

I'd enjoy reading some different types of articles and it might help spread out the work for the media team if people don't save all their media for the draft bonus.

[Image: TommySalami.gif]

Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard Raptors Blizzard

EDM All-Time Leader in Goals, Assists and Points
(This post was last modified: 11-02-2019, 12:47 PM by luke.)

Hey we were discussing article diversity in the podcast discord, glad to see more people feel the way I and others feel Smile

And if the media team does do this I’ll be happy to help throw out discussion ideas

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

I am keen to get a version of what the juniors are trialing going as well. But early days.

Juniors uses a 50% Bonus on the first 1000 words... That feels pretty good to me (I feel like 50% bonus on first 2000 would also work). What are other people's opinions?

Would definitely need to be structured well though and planned across the season.

@media teams. What are your thoughts?

[Image: tomasnz.gif]

Player Page

11-02-2019, 04:15 PMTomasnz Wrote: I am keen to get a version of what the juniors are trialing going as well. But early days.

Juniors uses a 50% Bonus on the first 1000 words... That feels pretty good to me (I feel like 50% bonus on first 2000 would also work). What are other people's opinions?

Would definitely need to be structured well though and planned across the season.

@media teams. What are your thoughts?

I could always expand what I plan on doing for the juniors to the shl. The goal of that change was mainly to cover the issue stated here, that being lack of diversity in media. I still need to reach out to people before the full change is implemented but don't think it would be that hard to make the change for both sets of media.

I support this!

[Image: 0K3YdqN.png]

Agent of Nick Brain: Center/Right Winger - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of John Torrance: Advisor to the General Manager - Winnipeg Aurora
Agent of Anatoli Terrorov: Head Coach - Colorado Raptors

Nick Brain Player Profile: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91326
Nick Brain Update Thread: http://simulationhockey.com/showthread.php?tid=91332

PBE did something like this and it encouraged some fun articles

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

11-02-2019, 12:29 PMTommySalami Wrote: Hey everyone, just wanted to pitch the idea of doing weekly topics for a small media bonus (1.5x) for writing articles about said topics. It might be nice to incentivise some diversity in the media section and it might help people think of different topics to write about.

I'd say we have 2 different types running simultaneously. 1st type would be team based. We rotate through the teams every week and if you write media about that team you get the bonus (each team would get a week approx. every 2 seasons). 2nd type would be the style of article: Stat-based/sim articles, serious fiction, non-serious fiction, Meta, History, etc. The goal would be to rotate through 1 topic per week per season (and we'd keep the regular 2x for draft articles at that time).

I'd enjoy reading some different types of articles and it might help spread out the work for the media team if people don't save all their media for the draft bonus.

holy shit bro this is actually a fire idea

i'm gonna off myself if i have to read 1 more potato article rn

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

+1

For the longest time the media department has been here just to grade. It can do so much more then that and im not sure why it hasnt.

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

What I have seen so far is that 2x draft bonus seems to just mean that people will focus mostly to write media about draft for quite long time and keep them waiting for bonus. This results in fewer media during season and lots of long draft articles during offseason, sure that keeps people busy/engaged during offseason but at least I dont feel like reading most of those 3k+ word articles, sure might read parts if it talks about players or teams Im involved.

And structuring it like 50% extra for first 1-2k words sounds like good way to keep articles bit more focused and easier to get into (and even readable on mobile)

So anything to get more diverse and more evenly paced media would be welcome change.

[Image: puolivalmiste2.gif]
Sigs by @Carpy48, @Nokazoa and me