Create Account

Don Cherry

So, yeah. Any of you aware of the Don Cherry situation? What do you guy think?

ah a political thread on the SHL

this is bound to go well

[Image: g7VtVXX.png?1]

[Image: Z8YSDad.gif]

[Image: crutchfield.gif]

11-13-2019, 11:28 AMligma Wrote: ah a political thread on the SHL

this is bound to go well

Not trying to be political because I hate politics but I here this everywhere so, yeah. lol I wanna see ppls opinions

Alright I'll bite. It was entirely possible for Don's comments and intent behind the message to be portrayed in a respectful and positive manner, but the reality is that they weren't. His comments promote xenophobia and single out a group of people who have historically been targeted for isolation and ridicule across the world, and the xenophobia dominated the intent that could have been positive from the message. Hockey cannot promote the "Hockey is for everyone" mantra it has while also allowing the people who represent and market the game single out communities that should feel just as welcome as others.

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

11-13-2019, 11:57 AMACapitalChicago Wrote: Alright I'll bite. It was entirely possible for Don's comments and intent behind the message to be portrayed in a respectful and positive manner, but the reality is that they weren't. His comments promote xenophobia and single out a group of people who have historically been targeted for isolation and ridicule across the world, and the xenophobia dominated the intent that could have been positive from the message. Hockey cannot promote the "Hockey is for everyone" mantra it has while also allowing the people who represent and market the game single out communities that should feel just as welcome as others.

good assessment

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

Good riddance. Should've been done about 20 years earlier.

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

As someone from an Anzac nation wearing or not wearing the poppy has absolutely no relevance towards your value to the country. Not to mention that militaristic nationalism has no place anywhere near a sports event.

[Image: 66624_s.gif]
[Image: 56096_s.gif]
Credit to Ml002, King, Wasty, Carpy, Bruins10, Rum_Ham, Turd Ferguson, Ragnar and Enigmatic for the sigs.
Forge Stampede Inferno Specters Wolfpack Platoon Armada Scarecrows Uk

Player page | Player updates
[Image: wMGKypg.png]

11-13-2019, 12:23 PMAcsolap Wrote: As someone from an Anzac nation wearing or not wearing the poppy has absolutely no relevance towards your value to the country. Not to mention that militaristic nationalism has no place anywhere near a sports event.

Guess you won't be at the next Army Navy game.

[Image: bonk.gif]
Sigs by @FlappyGiraffe,  @Steelhead77,  @ToeDragon84, @slothfacekilla, @Wasty and other dude I need to find your name

Lil' Manius

Big Manius

Go Navy! Beat Army!

[Image: sdcore.gif]

Player Page [Image: berserkers.png] [Image: syndicate2.png]Update Page

[Image: sgu3vVP.png]
[Image: 9vq7IEu.png]

I think it would be silly to act like this single event caused it, rather than an accumulation of these type outbursts from Don, but this particular comment was one of his more thickheaded ones. The game left him behind decades ago, and he's been pretty embarrassing to watch at least through my whole adult life. Good riddance honestly.

[Image: Grapehead.gif]
TY NOKA AND VALOR FOR THESE WORKS OF ART
Player Page | Update Page

Stars Battleborn Czechia

11-13-2019, 12:57 PMGrapehead Wrote: I think it would be silly to act like this single event caused it, rather than an accumulation of these type outbursts from Don, but this particular comment was one of his more thickheaded ones. The game left him behind decades ago, and he's been pretty embarrassing to watch at least through my whole adult life. Good riddance honestly.

Seconded on all accounts

[Image: 59269_s.png]

S66 Damian Littleton

[Image: CsnVET2.png] || [Image: wu5MVvy.png]|| [Image: c8B2LE3.png]
Battleborn | Barracuda | Usa

They wanted him out between seasons and the fans got pissed at them for it, so they brought him back. Sportsnet was just waiting for something like this to be able to let him go for good.

That being said I am not a fan of Cherry or his racist comments. He's actually had a history of making racist comments throughout his career, but I assume he doesn't see them as racist comments. I don't think he's made for media these days. I think of it like watching Eddie Murphy's stand up routine from the early 80s where he's constantly bashing gay people and everyone was laughing. Times have changed and things that only made a small percentage of people uncomfortable before now make a lot more people uncomfortable and TV personalities need to adjust to their audience.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

Alright now here's my input

He was paying respect to veterans but than took it too far by bashing immigrants by saying "you people". Don Cherry says he apologizes and wish he'd never said that but the damage is done. He should've been fully aware of what he was going to say

Can't keep tolerating this racist bullshit man! I live in the US were we have a president who calls illegal immigrants "animals" and rumored to call Haiti a "shit hole". Now I understand that people have different views on immigration but the way I see it, you're still human and should be treated as such

11-13-2019, 12:57 PMGrapehead Wrote: I think it would be silly to act like this single event caused it, rather than an accumulation of these type outbursts from Don, but this particular comment was one of his more thickheaded ones. The game left him behind decades ago, and he's been pretty embarrassing to watch at least through my whole adult life. Good riddance honestly.

Love that your name is Grapehead it probably has nothing to do with Cherry but still funny,

[Image: MlBpAAD.png]

Anyone saying that this is a single thing that got him fired is being willfully ignorant. Also anyone saying that firing him is anti-military is being ignorant and combative for no reason

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52