Create Account

Don Cherry

11-13-2019, 07:00 PMnour Wrote: I’m gonna weigh in because this topic is really close to my heart and has put a genuine burden on me emotionally for a few days now.

I don’t know how many of y’all know this but I’m a Canadian immigrant. I was born in Jordan, my parents are from Iraq, and we immigrated here when I was a kid. My identity as an Iraqi person living in Canada is a big part of me, but I’ve always thought of myself just as Canadian as I am Iraqi. I love Canada, I’m fortunate to have grown up here and build a genuinely good life and plan for a future, safe from war that we had to flee.

Don Cherry’s comments are fucking bogus.

I’ve lived most of my life here in Canada and I’ve done more than my fair share to contribute to Canadian society as an individual as I can. I’ve shown respect for traditions like Remembrance Day that I’ve taken as part of my identity. I am a Canadian. The last thing I need or want to hear is some old, white guy talk to me like I’m freeloading off the country and enjoying all its delicacies, while contributing nothing because I didn’t but a poppy. Count the amount of people you see wearing poppies in November, you’ll sure as shit find just as many white families not wearing them as you’ll find immigrant families not wearing them. This isn’t an immigrant issue. His comments made me feel like my citizenship meant less than a bunch of dudes named Tanner and Cody because they were white and born here and I wasn’t. His comments made me feel like my value as a Canadian was less than thought of my counterparts raised in the same Kindergarten class as me because they were born into a citizenship.

Piece of shit deserved to get fired, he’s spouted rhetoric like this before and it’s about time SOMEONE put their foot down and said enough is enough. The last thing the western world needs is more anti-arab and anti-immigrant rhetoric. Dude had it coming, and I feel genuinely safer knowing he won’t be on national television spouting ideologies that put me and my family at risk of being the target of social and political blame in the country we’ve called home for over 20 years now.

Don Cherry is off the air, that’s a win. If you twist it any other way, you’re blind.

Come to America, where we have some old orange President telling you don't come here

11-13-2019, 05:54 PMMook Wrote: If you go the whole period from the last Friday in October and November 11th without wearing a poppy, you get no respect from me. Yes, Cherry worded his statement wrong, but is 100% accurate in what he said. People take things for granted and don't realize the sacrifices that were made in order so we can live the lives we do. The least someone can do it spend 1$  and wear a poppy. I don't care if you attend a ceremony, it's cold as fuck most years and a lot of people don't want to deal with that, and you can keep the poppy multiple years.

Don deserved a better farewell after all the years of dedication and good he has done for Canada and hockey. Sportsnet and HNIC has been looking for a reason to fire Cherry and they finally got an easy out.

Wearing a poppy is literally virtue-signalling.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

11-13-2019, 10:54 PMArGarBarGar Wrote:
11-13-2019, 05:54 PMMook Wrote: If you go the whole period from the last Friday in October and November 11th without wearing a poppy, you get no respect from me. Yes, Cherry worded his statement wrong, but is 100% accurate in what he said. People take things for granted and don't realize the sacrifices that were made in order so we can live the lives we do. The least someone can do it spend 1$  and wear a poppy. I don't care if you attend a ceremony, it's cold as fuck most years and a lot of people don't want to deal with that, and you can keep the poppy multiple years.

Don deserved a better farewell after all the years of dedication and good he has done for Canada and hockey. Sportsnet and HNIC has been looking for a reason to fire Cherry and they finally got an easy out.

Wearing a poppy is literally virtue-signalling.

I’m not Canadian, don’t care that much about hockey in general and could care less about Don Cherry either way. Dude was 85, from a whole other world basically and it was probably time for him to go either way.

All that being said, the idea of “virtue signaling “ being a thing to avoid is pretty nonsensical. We should be trying to exemplify virtues. We should all be trying to set examples in the way we live our lives. Modeling good behavior and making statements about morality and virtue for the next generation are part of living a good life. Nobody should feel obligated to wear a flower or be judged by its absence either positively or negatively.

[Image: nQDbTbM.png]

[Image: hA5o4UG.png]

11-13-2019, 07:02 PMJumpierPancakes Wrote:
11-13-2019, 07:00 PMnour Wrote: I’m gonna weigh in because this topic is really close to my heart and has put a genuine burden on me emotionally for a few days now.

I don’t know how many of y’all know this but I’m a Canadian immigrant. I was born in Jordan, my parents are from Iraq, and we immigrated here when I was a kid. My identity as an Iraqi person living in Canada is a big part of me, but I’ve always thought of myself just as Canadian as I am Iraqi. I love Canada, I’m fortunate to have grown up here and build a genuinely good life and plan for a future, safe from war that we had to flee.

Don Cherry’s comments are fucking bogus.

I’ve lived most of my life here in Canada and I’ve done more than my fair share to contribute to Canadian society as an individual as I can. I’ve shown respect for traditions like Remembrance Day that I’ve taken as part of my identity. I am a Canadian. The last thing I need or want to hear is some old, white guy talk to me like I’m freeloading off the country and enjoying all its delicacies, while contributing nothing because I didn’t but a poppy. Count the amount of people you see wearing poppies in November, you’ll sure as shit find just as many white families not wearing them as you’ll find immigrant families not wearing them. This isn’t an immigrant issue. His comments made me feel like my citizenship meant less than a bunch of dudes named Tanner and Cody because they were white and born here and I wasn’t. His comments made me feel like my value as a Canadian was less than thought of my counterparts raised in the same Kindergarten class as me because they were born into a citizenship.

Piece of shit deserved to get fired, he’s spouted rhetoric like this before and it’s about time SOMEONE put their foot down and said enough is enough. The last thing the western world needs is more anti-arab and anti-immigrant rhetoric. Dude had it coming, and I feel genuinely safer knowing he won’t be on national television spouting ideologies that put me and my family at risk of being the target of social and political blame in the country we’ve called home for over 20 years now.

Don Cherry is off the air, that’s a win. If you twist it any other way, you’re blind.

LIFE

Yas

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

(This post was last modified: 11-13-2019, 11:35 PM by Samsung virtual assistant.)

11-13-2019, 08:18 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
11-13-2019, 07:53 PMスウェグキング Wrote: Wtb the full clip
Sportsnet emptied it into Don Cherry

Also just got this joke.

11-13-2019, 08:37 PM.bojo Wrote: I never even heard of poppies

Same, but im just a dirty commie European.

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

For once, im gonna weigh in as well. I was born here in Canada, second generation to Danish immigrants and Hungarian immigrants looking to escape the world wars who met at different times. For at least the last 100 years I have had at least one member of my family in the Canadian Military leading up to my generation. Growing up here it was seen as a tradition to donate the funds to the legion and wear your poppy. I buy one every year, not so much because there is any pressure to do so, but just because it is natural, almost something of every day life that I grew up with. Like buying eggnog in December.

I wore it and it fell off at work. (I work construction.) I didn't even notice until break time and didn't bat an eye. Felt no guilt, and nobody said anything. I am all for and make a point of honouring my family and, by proxy, the men and women who have spent their time to fight for this nation.

On the matter of Don Cherry himself? I grew up watching HNIC with my dad as an avid hockey fan. I enjoyed his take on the nature of the sport in the late 90s/early 2000s and has coloured the style I like. But I've watched him go from somewhat knowledgeable and experienced, to that senile old, racist grandpa many of us are stereotyped to have. I haven't watched HNIC in over a decade and the clips I do see are more for his flubs as a joke than the enjoyment I used to have.

[Image: CptSquall.gif]

[Image: 40UXd5s.gif]

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

I am from the Netherlands and my grandparents grew up in an occupied country during WWII. All of them were too embarresed about those years and never shared any stories about what life was like back then. Luckily there were enough other people that did share their stories and we should continue to share them to make sure that what happened back then is never happening again ever. Besides that, people should be made aware of all the sacrifices that were made by Allied forces to give us the freedom we deserve. Now that being said, people remember and honor in different ways. I'm not the one to be the judge about that and neither is Don Cherry or anyone else.

[Image: Katth.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]
Barracuda Germany Scarecrows Knights

[Image: cgv4vCv.png] [Image: 95lCCDx.png] [Image: GATPRRX.png]
S50 Challenge Cup Finals Game 7
[Image: gNFVjT6.png]

Two Words: Fuck Don

[Image: Crossfit.gif]

[Image: CFJ1.gif]

Thanks to prettyburn, TML, Carpy, JNH, Jepox, Engi, Karey, Flappy, Skolpadder, Mook, DollarAndADream, Smirnov and Toe for the sigs.

Code:
Crossfit's First Career SHL Goal, 4. Manhattan Rage , Crossfit Jesus 1 (Pedro Sarantez, Nucky Toohoots) at 5:51

Code:
Devitt's First Career SHL Goal, 5. Calgary Dragons , Prince Devitt 1 (Barry Batsbak 21, Mike Izzy 14) at 10:43

Rogers Media used it as a way to fire Don Cherry. Coaches Corner airs on 3 separate times because of time zones/intermissions. So, that means they watched it and then decided to play it on 2 other instances and THEN only until it became too bad then they canned Cherry. Ironically enough, on The Social, panelist Jessica Allen targets white hockey players with inappropriate comments which were hurtful. Even on of the Humboldt Bronco's family is now boycotting CTV until they do something more about the situation.

C - Kenji Yoshimura  Panthers Kenji Yoshimura Updates Panthers
[Image: BigTittySmitty5.gif]

Code:
Credit to Wasty and Steelhead for the sigs - thanks dudes!