Create Account

82 games in a season

11-21-2019, 12:10 PMBruins10 Wrote:
11-21-2019, 12:08 PMMayuu Wrote: yeah, i'll wait until i actually see those sims before i belive it.
We've been wrecking our brains pretty much non stop and simmed endless amounts without any positive results.
yeah thats what i assumed. i figured you guys have been working to try and find a solution

but what about a system where you cant have a difference of more than 15 attribute points between passing and scoring. so there needs to be some sort of parity between the two so we dont break the sim engine.

running all players with Pasing 85 scoring 99 still over performs compared to a team with a passing player.

Tomen even simmed a season where all players had 60 passing 99 scoring 60 defense and they still easily got the #1 seed.

RETIRED

11-21-2019, 12:16 PMMayuu Wrote:
11-21-2019, 12:10 PMBruins10 Wrote: yeah thats what i assumed. i figured you guys have been working to try and find a solution

but what about a system where you cant have a difference of more than 15 attribute points between passing and scoring. so there needs to be some sort of parity between the two so we dont break the sim engine.

running all players with Pasing 85 scoring 99 still over performs compared to a team with a passing player.

Tomen even simmed a season where all players had 60 passing 99 scoring 60 defense and they still easily got the #1 seed.
ohh damn, alright. i thought i had found a system that could help LOL

HO really putting in that work to try and find a solution. Thanks to whoever discovered this revelation

[Image: Bruins10.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic , @Ragnar and @sulovilen for the sexy Signature

11-21-2019, 12:10 PMBruins10 Wrote:
11-21-2019, 12:08 PMMayuu Wrote: yeah, i'll wait until i actually see those sims before i belive it.
We've been wrecking our brains pretty much non stop and simmed endless amounts without any positive results.
yeah thats what i assumed. i figured you guys have been working to try and find a solution

The gap isn’t the issue. The issue is that a roster of shoot-first players is overwhelmingly powerful in STHS. As it stands, every archetype without scoring as a strength is dead in the water. A team of 99 scoring, 90 passing players fits within your 15 attribute point cap but still absolutely wrecks the competition.

Simply put, there’s been a seismic shift in the way that we understand STHS and we are scrambling to find a way to salvage it as the official engine for our league.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

11-21-2019, 12:21 PMWannabeFinn Wrote:
11-21-2019, 12:10 PMBruins10 Wrote: yeah thats what i assumed. i figured you guys have been working to try and find a solution

The gap isn’t the issue. The issue is that a roster of shoot-first players is overwhelmingly powerful in STHS. As it stands, every archetype without scoring as a strength is dead in the water.  A team of 99 scoring, 90 passing players fits within your 15 attribute point cap but still absolutely wrecks the competition.

Simply put, there’s been a seismic shift in the way that we understand STHS and we are scrambling to find a way to salvage it as the official engine for our league.
yeah exactly. Mayuu had posted about it above and its crazy. Didnt think it would ever come to this point where someone would find a way to break the league engine

I have advocated for 82 game seasons in the past, but it's not like there aren't some very legitimate arguments against it.

So yeah, @FuzzSHL how about you settle down a bit? Maybe you yourself don't care about the history and storytelling aspects of this leagues but others do, so maybe don't discount their opinions so easily and act like you know it all? A change to a 82-game schedule isn't like the engine or slider changes we've had in the past, which somewhat tweaked results and stats but they still stayed roughly comparable on a seasonal basis. A change like this would invalidate both seasonal AND career records, so pretty much our whole history would only stand with a big asterisk to it. That's a huge step and I'd say risk. Is it worth it in order to try something new? Maybe it is, but don't act as if it's just a tiny and easy change.

Also, would an 82-game schedule really improve the individual experience that much? Either it would make the regular season significantly longer (which I would actually like but I'd think is something that the majority wouldn't be in favor of) or it would just mean more games per day - which ultimately doesn't give us a whole lot aside from de-valuing the individual games. What is most important for a league like this is consistency, that we have reliable regular sims on as many days as possible without burning out the simmer. If we accomplish that then the number of games per day isn't as important, having 4 games really doesn't give you that much more joy than having 2 would. All it does is make the games themselves mean less while all it gives you is a tiny little instant gratification boost because you got to click on 3 links instead of 2 and got to see your player score a bit more - which doesnt even matter in comparison because everyone else did as well. It's just another kind of inflation. This tiny bit of instant gratification is a pretty small benefit considering the cost and risk that are attached to it.

Lastly, it might make things more predictable and boring as well. With a smaller sample of games there is a bigger chance for a bit of randomness, for teams to surprise and overperform when nobody expected them to win anything or for super stacked teams to struggle. The more games you add though, the more these things will level out and everyone will just finish were people expected them to at the start of the season. You might argue that this is more fair but I think it's just boring, especially since it's a problem that you can already witness in other leagues who play more games, where the standings are pretty much pre-determined before the season even starts. Everyone more or less knows where they will finish there before any games are played, and all people really care about is the playoffs which, ironically, has the fewest games and therefore the highest chance at surprises and upsets.

Again, I'm not against 82 games in principle and have actually suggested the same thing in the past, but don't act like it's a magical solution with no downsides and that everyone who is against it is just a brainless reactionary.

Why are people against more games? I want a full professional league amount of games for my professional online fake hockey league.

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

11-21-2019, 12:26 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: So yeah, @FuzzSHL how about you settle down a bit? Maybe you yourself don't care about the history and storytelling aspects of this leagues but others do, so maybe don't discount their opinions so easily and act like you know it all? A change to a 82-game schedule isn't like the engine or slider changes we've had in the past, which somewhat tweaked results and stats but they still stayed roughly comparable on a seasonal basis. A change like this would invalidate both seasonal AND career records, so pretty much our whole history would only stand with a big asterisk to it. That's a huge step and I'd say risk. Is it worth it in order to try something new? Maybe it is, but don't act as if it's just a tiny and easy change.

Not trying to act like its a tiny and easy change, nor was I trying to invalidate the opinions of people who are against it or act like I know it all. There's a reason I let it go and haven't replied in this thread in a bit. Its more complicated than a simple change, I acknowledge that. Sorry for being a dick @ArGarBarGar.

[Image: lap-teamsig.png]
Aleksi Kettu
[Image: 7MO9RpC.png]

11-21-2019, 12:38 PMFuzzSHL Wrote:
11-21-2019, 12:26 PMRomanesEuntDomus Wrote: So yeah, @FuzzSHL how about you settle down a bit? Maybe you yourself don't care about the history and storytelling aspects of this leagues but others do, so maybe don't discount their opinions so easily and act like you know it all? A change to a 82-game schedule isn't like the engine or slider changes we've had in the past, which somewhat tweaked results and stats but they still stayed roughly comparable on a seasonal basis. A change like this would invalidate both seasonal AND career records, so pretty much our whole history would only stand with a big asterisk to it. That's a huge step and I'd say risk. Is it worth it in order to try something new? Maybe it is, but don't act as if it's just a tiny and easy change.

Not trying to act like its a tiny and easy change, nor was I trying to invalidate the opinions of people who are against it or act like I know it all. There's a reason I let it go and haven't replied in this thread in a bit. Its more complicated than a simple change, I acknowledge that. Sorry for being a dick @ArGarBarGar.

It's no problem. I am sure that my attitude doesn't help things either, as I do have a reputation as being a little (or very) dickish when discussing issues. I apologize for that as well.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

11-20-2019, 05:38 PMTnlAstatine Wrote: Since it looks like we are switching to a newer version, it would be a good time for a new era!

50 games is a fucking snooze and even GOMHL does 82 games, I don't see why we can't implement this and keep the same sim schedule.
We already track records based on eras, I really think 82 games would be awesome and we can get more realistic numbers, 100 point season anybody?
Ilike

[Image: 60043_s.gif]
Player Page                Update Thread 
Thank you to @Wasty and @frithjofr for a couple great sigs!

Maybe we look into a new simulator? Like franchise hockey manager gives gms alot more options when making there lineups and setting player roles

[Image: Fitted_3.png]

2x 4Star Cup Champ s49 s50

1x commissioners excellence award s 50

11-21-2019, 01:27 PMFitted2106 Wrote: Maybe we look into a new simulator? Like franchise hockey manager gives gms alot more options when making there lineups and setting player roles

If this is the one I'm thining of, it has an issue with exporting game data? Like there is no data for specific games.

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

Lame lol

[Image: Fitted_3.png]

2x 4Star Cup Champ s49 s50

1x commissioners excellence award s 50

http://www.fhlsim.com/

This sim engine is outdated because the last version was updated in like 2004-2005, I know. But it resembles STHS in a lot of ways, especially with the way the stats are set up. Maybe give this one a try HO