Create Account

The Positives of FHM
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2019, 03:07 PM by caltroit_red_flames.)

I've seen a small number of people with some anxiety regarding FHM. I thought I'd lay out some stuff that's positive about.

Build Diversity
To start with I think it's pretty obvious that FHM is going to have far superior build diversity. Let's try to make a player like Alexander Ovechkin with 1500 TPE. Pretty fast, really strong, plays physical and has an unglodly hard shot. I think it's pretty obvious that while he isn't a liability on defense, Ovechkin's worst part of his game is his defensive play.

CK = Checking: 79
FG = Fighting: 25
DI = Discipline: 62
SK = Skating: 90
ST = Strength: 99
EN = Endurance: 80
DU = Durability: 50 (do not add TPE here, injuries are turned off)
PH = Puck Handling: 99
FO = Face Offs: 40
PA = Passing: 90
SC = Scoring: 99
DF = Defense: 80
PS = Penalty Shot: 40

BOOM! The SHL's own Alexander Ovechkin. A player who no GM would put on their top line because their DF isn't at least 90 and would take too many penalties to not be a liability. Cool. Now let's make him in FHM. This is just one of the many scales that have been brought up, not one that we're definitely using in the future, so take this with a grain of salt.

Some prior information:
1. Stats go from 1-20 and the minimum here is 5.
2. 19 and 20 are essentially god tier. Think McDavid and Gretzky level. 20 in any category is super good so the scale is probably going to be more difficult than the one shown here.
3. This is the scale I used:
5 -> 6 1 TPE
6 -> 7 2 TPE
7 -> 8 3 TPE
8 -> 9 4 TPE
9 -> 10 5 TPE
10 -> 11 8 TPE
11 -> 12 10 TPE
12 -> 13 12 TPE
13 -> 14 16 TPE
14 -> 15 20 TPE
15 -> 16 30 TPE
16 -> 17 40 TPE
17 -> 18 40 TPE
18 -> 19 60 TPE
19 -> 20 60 TPE

Screening: 5
Getting Open: 18
Passing: 14
Puckhandling: 17
Shooting: 20
Offensive Read: 18

Checking: 10
Faceoffs: 5
Hitting: 10
Positioning: 10
Shot Blocking: 5
Stickchecking: 10
Defensive Read: 10

Aggression: 10
Bravery: 10

Acceleration: 15
Agility: 15
Balance: 15
Speed: 15
Stamina: 15
Strength: 15
Fighting: 5

Is this is an Ovechkin level player? In my opinion, no. But it's a player that has a play style that is distinctly like Ovechkin. A super good shot, good skating ability, clearly a shooter based on the difference between his passing and shooting attributes, great at getting open, can play physical but is obviously not going to be used as a grinder. And honestly at 1500 TPE it makes sense that he isn't at Ovechkin's level. Ovi is should be the type of player you can be for 1-3 seasons max at 2k TPE.

If you want to mess around with it I made a player builder here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Anyone can look at it and mess around with it, I recommend copying it into your own google sheets so you don't lose anything you did. You can make your own scale just by changing the numbers in the cost column next to the scale column.

More Advanced Tactics
This is pretty simple. You make a grinder in STHS and you get more hits. Okay but does your player really play differently? In FHM your coach is in charge of this. Players have roles in your lineup. Say you make a sniper and you're not quite good enough to put pucks in the net yet. Your GM has the option of giving you a role that is more defensively minded. Does that piss you off? Lay into your GM and say either I get put into a goal scoring role or I request a trade and don't re-sign with you. Maybe you're a grinder that wants to be more of a Ryan Callahan in his prime. You hit people but you also chip in some offense. Give me an offensive role or I'll find another team that will. Or maybe you're the kind of person that just wants to bang bodies whether or not it helps your team win. Put me in the grinder role or gtfo. It's like a coach being in charge of the system you're playing. And this is just the individual tactics. Teams will have actual systems that can be implemented. I know much less about these though.

Customizable Index
Right now we're at the mercy of Simon T with our index. Yes it's a nice index, but what if we want more? Tough shit. FHM on the other hand exports CSV files that we'll be generating our own index from. We have some talented programmers already working on this. Player pages can have more detail, team logos can be displayed in the index, face gens can be displayed on player pages. You want it? We can probably add it! This is a big win in my opinion, it's like moving from jcink to our self hosted forum. When China isn't DDoSing us it's great!

What Kind of Player Are You Going To Make?
I encourage you all to post the kind of player you're going to make below! Check out the player maker, maybe post your 1500 TPE build? I've got a lot of neat ideas and I want to see yours! Here's a template you can fill in with your attribute levels. Remember, everything starts at 5 and you can just fill in the build and look to the right to see what the TPE costs are.
Code:
[b]Total TPE: 0[/b]

[b]Offensive Attributes[/b]
Getting Open: 5
Passing: 5
Puckhandling: 5
Shooting: 5
Offensive Read: 5

[b]Defensive Attributes[/b]
Checking: 5
Hitting: 5
Positioning: 5
Shot Blocking: 5
Stickchecking: 5
Defensive Read: 5

[b]Mental Attributes[/b]
Aggression: 5
Bravery: 5

[b]Skating Attributes[/b]
Acceleration: 5
Agility: 5
5alance: 5
Speed: 5
Stamina: 5
Strength: 5

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]
(This post was last modified: 11-25-2019, 03:15 PM by artermis.)

I've never had too much of an issue with STHS regarding build diversity, I feel like simplicity is moreso a positive, and that we have some healthy diversity with those constraints considered, but there is something to be said of course for the metas of STHS not being intuitive, such as defense being quite important. That being said, you certainly can be a good player without high defense, but defense is undeniably a highly valued attribute.

The tactics and index are obviously pros though, as I don't think tactics should necessarily be held to the same simplicity rule that I think attributes should.

Speaking of visual engagement, does FHM provide anything besides output? Such as play-by-plays or live simulation? Something visually captivating during a game such as EHM or our NHL 2004 sims would be a massive plus IMO.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

My own take on Colton Parayko!

Total TPE: 1497

Offensive Attributes
Getting Open: 10
Passing: 15
Puckhandling: 15
Shooting: 10
Offensive Read: 10

Defensive Attributes
Checking: 17
Hitting: 17
Positioning: 18
Shot Blocking: 15
Stickchecking: 15
Defensive Read: 19

Mental Attributes
Aggression: 5
Bravery: 8

Skating Attributes
Acceleration: 13
Agility: 13
5alance: 15
Speed: 13
Stamina: 15
Strength: 15

[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]

Total TPE: 1500

Offensive Attributes
Screening: 10
Getting Open: 15
Passing: 11
Puckhandling: 10
Shooting: 12
Offensive Read: 12

Defensive Attributes
Checking: 20
Faceoffs: 6
Hitting: 20
Positioning: 17
Shot Blocking: 13
Defensive Read: 15

Mental Attributes
Aggression: 12
Bravery: 12

Skating Attributes
Agility: 12
Balance: 10
Stamina: 9
Strength: 12

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

11-25-2019, 03:12 PMartermis Wrote: I've never had too much of an issue with STHS regarding build diversity, I feel like simplicity is moreso a positive, and that we have some healthy diversity with those constraints considered, but there is something to be said of course for the metas of STHS not being intuitive, such as defense being quite important. That being said, you certainly can be a good player without high defense, but defense is undeniably a highly valued attribute.

The tactics and index are obviously pros though, as I don't think tactics should necessarily be held to the same simplicity rule that I think attributes should.

Speaking of visual engagement, does FHM provide anything besides output? Such as play-by-plays or live simulation? Something visually captivating during a game such as EHM or our NHL 2004 sims would be a massive plus IMO.

Can't stop this FHM hype train!

[Image: giphy.gif]

11-25-2019, 03:17 PMcpetrella Wrote: Total TPE: 1500

Offensive Attributes
Screening: 10
Getting Open: 15
Passing: 11
Puckhandling: 10
Shooting: 12
Offensive Read: 12

Defensive Attributes
Checking: 20
Faceoffs: 6
Hitting: 20
Positioning: 17
Shot Blocking: 13

Mental Attributes
Aggression: 12
Bravery: 12

Skating Attributes
Agility: 12
Balance: 10
Stamina: 9

Name him Hitty Boi

this is pretty cool.

do you think the league is going to pursue any of the mental or hidden attributes? i know most members of the site dont like the idea of injuries/suspensions, but "big game player" and things like that could be another neat way to diversify builds, but it seems like some attributes are blacked out intentionally already on your build helper.

bring on the change!

Player Page || Player Updates || Visual History

FHM6 >>>

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

11-25-2019, 03:23 PMJulio Tokolosh Wrote: this is pretty cool.

do you think the league is going to pursue any of the mental or hidden attributes? i know most members of the site dont like the idea of injuries/suspensions, but "big game player" and things like that could be another neat way to diversify builds, but it seems like some attributes are blacked out intentionally already on your build helper.

bring on the change!
Hidden, no. Mental, maybe..

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Keeping in mind of course that this update scale is far from final, I'd probably do something like this:
Total TPE: 1500

Offensive Attributes
Screening: 17
Getting Open: 16
Passing: 12
Puckhandling: 14
Shooting: 18
Offensive Read: 17

Defensive Attributes
Checking: 14
Faceoffs: 15
Hitting: 9
Positioning: 14
Shot Blocking: 10
Stickchecking: 12

Mental Attributes
Aggression: 7
Bravery: 10

Skating Attributes
Acceleration: 16
Agility: 15
Balance: 14
Speed: 16
Stamina: 13

I should mention that I see you combined shooting range and accuracy, I don't think that's ideal, they have different effects, but range is generally higher on D and accuracy higher on F, so you'd have to limit one of them for F/D.

[Image: DrunkenTeddy.gif]

[Image: CsnVET2.png]  |  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]

listen cal i love the fhm stuff but can we just adjust the update scale a bit? I know the attribute system is like fm but for some reason the updating thing is the only thing i dont like and I feel like a switch would be a bit harder for some of the newgens and recreates alike

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

11-25-2019, 03:23 PMJulio Tokolosh Wrote: this is pretty cool.

bring on the change!

It's been talked about, but we're already going from 13 attributes to 20ish so the mindset is to institute as little change as possible. Everyone will likely have the same Big Games, similar to how we do Experience, Durability and Leadership right now

With all the new attributes it won't be possible to get a max build so we'll see a ton of build diversity as long as GMs don't demand their players play the meta build whatever it becomes (I imagine it'll some variation of being a sniper but we'll see).

11-25-2019, 03:24 PMbluesfan55 Wrote: listen cal i love the fhm stuff but can we just adjust the update scale a bit? I know the attribute system is like fm but for some reason the updating thing is the only thing i dont like and I feel like a switch would be a bit harder for some of the newgens and recreates alike

you're absolutely right bloos:

Quote:This is just one of the many scales that have been brought up, not one that we're definitely using in the future, so take this with a grain of salt.

This isn't even close to the final scale, just one of the ones that we've talked about. There'll definitely be some refinement as more testing happens.

This actually looks really good and I feel like there’s just enough attributes to allow diversity but not make it overwhelming

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

6842 TPE for max out the player

[Image: McZehrl.png]

Challenge Cup Wins:
S18 - Riot Seattle Riot (with Chris McZehrl)*
S23 - Wolfpack New England Wolfpack (with Chris McZehrl)*
S27 - Dragons Calgary Dragons (with VLAD McZehrl)
S34 - Rage Manhattan Rage (with VLAD McZehrl)
S37 - Jets Winnipeg Jets (with VLAD McZehrl)
S46 - Stampede Buffalo Stampede (with GOD McZehrl)*

*first ever Challenge Cup of Franchise History

Four Star Cup Wins:
S24 - Whalers Vancouver Whalers (with VLAD McZehrl)
S39 - Scarecrows St. Louis Scarecrows (with GOD McZehrl)

SHL Hall of Fame Members:
S24 - Chris McZehrl Platoon Panthers Dragons Riot Wolfpack *
(GP: 764 | G: 322 | A: 461 | P: 783 | +/-: +109)
S40 - VLAD McZehrl Dragons Riot Rage Stampede Jets Wolfpack *
(GP: 653 | G: 333 | A: 361 | P: 694 | +/-: +141)

*1st Ballot Hall of Famer

small note: GOD McZehrl played at first as Defender and later as Forward!