Create Account

Scarecrows scare Outlaws from a ghost town (530 Words)

Orange County Register, Anaheim, California
Written by: Peter Croslen

After coming off of an explosive pre-season opener, the Anaheim Outlaws were held back as they traveled to St. Louis.  It would seem the coaching staff were able to temper the high energy output from the young gunslinger lineup a little too well as the Outlaws fell to the Scarecrows 4-2.

Anaheim started off strong in the first period as Leonid Kofix marked up his second goal in the pre-season with assists from Kevin Robinson and rookie Rhys Pritchard but that lead was short lived as the Scarecrows answered back at the 14 minute mark with a lighting shot from James Ronlain, his first of the season.

Once again, the power play ability of the Outlaws waned in comparison to their opponent as they were only able to capitalize on one of their four opportunities, and only being able to kill three of the five power plays that they offered the scarecrows.  When asked about the back to back games of poor power play performance, Alternate Captain Ursin Zimmerman had this to say:

Quote:Yeah the problem with our power play is that we don't really have the hang on the positioning. Sometimes I catch myself positioned in the wrong place which results in a bad shot or a bad pass. You know that's normal when you start to put together new lines for the power play and we start to get the hang on it. Same goes for the PK we are just not in the correct positions. Last year we didn't leave much place to the opponent during pk which resulted in an awesome PK for us. You know it's preseason and we are all a bit rusty but I see us get our shit together in some games.

There is one bright spot showing though from the Outlaw roster, and that is their ability to win on the face-off.  Before heading back to the locker room we asked Zimmerman about that as well:

Quote:Yeah our guys at the dots are currently on fire! I think today all our guys won more then half of their face-offs. Which I couldn't do in my dreams! Ivan took the new ones with him after our normal practice to work on his FO's with them. This helped all of them! Even the new guys start to look really good on the dot because of that!

The outlaws look to bounce back from their Midwest fright as they head back to The Saloon to face off against their division rival Lethbridge Lions for the start of a three-game western stretch as the pre-season rolls on.