Create Account

The Arrival of Shelby Schmackers (920 words)
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2019, 02:04 PM by TheManSoldTheWorld.)

Code:
Ready to Grade, First Article Double Payout, 920 words
Eighteen years of his life had come and past as fast as his skates gliding along the ice. He had called the same city home for that whole time, the picturesque city of Denver. He lived on the Northside. Most of his friends had to move to Thornton or Broomfield due to gentrification. Shelby Schmackers is one lucky sonuvabitch.

After his dad walked out of his life at age 6, Shelby's mom started to work three jobs to keep the quaint little bungalow that he had lived in all his life to give him some stability during the hardships of divorce and loss. His younger brother didn't take the loss as hard, but Shelby always had a chip on his shoulder after his dad's last goodbye. He ended up getting a tattoo there to signify it after he had seen Von Miller on the Denver Broncos do the same.

Shelby had always loved hockey. His dad was always a big Avalanche fan, even when they sucked, but we don't talk about those years because Nathan MacKinnon, our Hart Trophy-winning golden boy, was sent to be our savior. Shelby was in hockey camps and practicing for as long as he could remember; hockey was the only good thing Shelby's dad did. There was a net in the basement that his dad set up, one of those nets for little kids. Shelby ended up breaking it right when his dad left, out of frustration, and beating the shit out of it with his stick and the puck. But this was no cause for him to quit, nay; this was motivation. Shelby worked even harder at his hockey camps, learning how to sharpen his skates to get an advantage on the ice. He learned how to handle his stick better and how to be the best defensemen on the ice. See, Shelby wasn't a guy for flair or pizazz or even hard-hitting for that matter. He wanted to bully you with mind games and speed. You can't get the puck if it's not there. Shelby's poke check, according to many different scouts, is one of the best in the nation.

Shelby has gone through some heartbreak; there's no doubt about that. His dad was one of the first. Breaking his thumb in his sophomore year was another because it put him out of commission under coach's orders for at least six weeks. His first girlfriend, Raquel Flores, dumping him after she saw how beat up he was after hockey (she couldn't take it, to say the least). All the heartbreak did was fuel him. "My thumb is broken? I'll use my other hand and avoid fights from now on. You don't like my passions? Well, fuck you. You're supposed to advise and support your loved ones with what they do, and hockey, while it may have knocked out a tooth, is probably the first love of my life. Forever."

Shelby's hands slowly went down to his sides as we started the interview process. His mom and little brother sat on either side of him, his arms around the both of them.

*CLICK*

I, the journalist, Brooks Burcham: So, Mr. Schmackers-

Shelby Schmackers: Please, just call me Shelby. I've had enough people address me too formally, ya know?

BB: Oh, of course, sir. Anyways, Shelby, how did you first fall in love with the game of hockey?

SS: [He looks down at the floor, reminiscing before looking back up] That would be a result of my dad. He had this intense passion for it, the same intense passion he had for drinking cheap beer while he watched it. But, his love translated over to me, and I wanted to play. I gotta thank my momma right here, she put me through all the stupid camps and bought all of my equipment, all while keeping us in this fantastic house. I don't know how I'm ever going to leave.

BB: Wow, Ms. Schmackers, certainly sounds like your son really does appreciate and love you.

Ms. Schmackers: He better! I didn't work three jobs and buy him all that just for him to throw it all away now when he's one of the best recruits in the country! And look at him...[she pinches his cheek, he bashfully blushes]...He's grown into such a big strong man.

SS: Mom...there's a reporter here.

Ms. S: And I can't show my love and affection for you back after all those beautiful things you said? [she shakes her head and laughs a bit] I love you, baby.

SS: I love you too, mom...

BB: How did your poke-check become one of the best in the nation, Shelby?

SS: [He looks around, like he's about to tell a huge secret, then leans in, speaking in a low voice] You want to know how it got so good? It wasn't just practice; it wasn't only the camps. I worked with Marc-Andre Fleury for a whole summer on just the poke check. Granted, he played a different position, but watching him do it, I always got ramped up and knew that he was going to be my mentor for that.

BB: Wow, that's amazing.

SS: I would hope so, he kicked my ass all summer for it.

[We all share a quick laugh]

BB: Well, we're almost out of time here. Is there anything else you would like to say to the people reading right now?

SS: Get ready SHL, Shelby Schmackers is going to schmack that puck in! Trademark is pending.

[We all laugh again]

*CLICK*

Quote:"I have the best poke check in the nation, all thanks to Marc-Andre Fleury."
[Image: L9uCJT6.png]
[Image: sAwEMTH.png]

Great first article!

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

11-26-2019, 01:15 PMnotorioustig Wrote: Great first article!
Thank you!

Quote:"I have the best poke check in the nation, all thanks to Marc-Andre Fleury."
[Image: L9uCJT6.png]
[Image: sAwEMTH.png]