Create Account

What if: the SHL was in Europe (1/16 - Pride en France)
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2019, 07:41 AM by Thunfish.)

This was supposed to have come out much earlier, by the way. In any case, here goes nothing...

We've recently finished the fiftieth season of the SHL. Now, I'm not all that versed on these kinds of leagues but having fifty seasons is a pretty neat record. I can't think of many other events like these that are still around after lord knows how long. So I was thinking about doing some sort of media piece regarding this sort of thing, making some jerseys and whatnot. But then, I realized that this needed to at least stand out somewhat. And well, considering some of our users are from Europe, why not imagine how each team would be if we were a league based in the Old World?

So, here are some self-guidelines, to at least give some sort of idea towards what I'm doing here.

Quote:- I'm allowing myself to not make logos by hand, so if it looks like whatever logo I'm using is already a thing somewhere else, that's probably why.
- I'm not using any of the current team names for the series but they should at least have some sort of link towards the actual SHL team.
- I am accepting requests, as long as they're tasteful.

So, without further ado...

Paris is the City of Lights. It's an important city historically (let's keep in mind that the world wouldn't be as it is today without the French Revolution or the liberation of the French capital from the Nazis) but in many other aspects, ranging from economy to culture with sports there as well. Paris has also has been having it rough this past couple of years, sadly. Let's not forget that the city has suffered through some nasty terrorist attacks but also had the Notre Dame burn down as well.

As a person studying French at the moment, I do admit that I have some interest in visiting the city at some point but I do hope that, by the time I can visit Paris, things are peaceful again in the French capital. In any case, let me go and say that hockey isn't exactly that much on demand in France, as far as I'm aware. You probably would have an easier time watching a game of soccer/football there,
although if you're more cultured than most people, you should know well enough that Paris is also the last stop of the Tour de France and they also happen to be the city where the Roland Garros court so happens to be at. And of course, they're stuck with the Olympics in 2024 which... well, it's better than the FIFA World Cup (speaking from personal experience).

Hockey-wise, France has the Ligue Magnus, one of the oldest hockey leagues of Europe and... yeah, they don't have that much of a hold on Paris. Fittingly enough, their best clubs happen to either be placed near the border with Switzerland, at Provence or in the Northwest (on Rouen's case alone). Which does kinda mean that I didn't have much to work with. Nothing more fitting than to pair them up with the city that currently doesn't have a hockey team in real life: San Francisco.

So, introducing the first team of my series: the Euroverse San Francisco Pride, Le Chic de Paris (Paris Chic)!

HOME
[Image: Le_Chic_de_Paris_Home.png]

So, the logo in question here was actually nicked from a Chanel post. I struggled for days to come up with a proper logo for the team because it's surprisingly hard to come up with something for a team literally named the Chic. The idea here was to represent one of Paris' many facets, it's their fashion industry which I believe is only comparable to some centres in Italy in that regard. In the end, I decided to not use the same style of jersey that the Pride has, going instead with a light blue jersey with French flag stripes on the bottom. I swear there's a really good reason why I'm having them play in light blue for Home (besides that tone of colour actually being used by their national soccer team in the past.

AWAY
[Image: Le_Chic_de_Paris_Away.png]

For the shoulder logo, I used what's actually part of the logo of the Winter Olympics that were hosted by Grenoble ages ago. You can notice that it's not quite the exact same thing as a snowflake, by the way. For their away colours, I switched the light blue around with the dark blue from the stripes, the positioning of the stripes is done on purpose as well: it guarantees that you can see the French flag everywhere on their jerseys. The name and number set here are actually different: I'm using the font Nike used for some national soccer teams (including France) in the mid-10s while the number set is actually from their Total 90 line. I haven't exactly thought about branding the jerseys in any way, though, so I just thought it'd be a nice touch.

ALTERNATE (14 JUILLET / FÊTE NATIONALE)
[Image: Le_Chic_de_Paris_Alternate.png]

So, here's the other reason why their Home jerseys have light blue: I decided to have an alternate jersey specifically for any games played near the date of July 14th, Bastille Day. For those who don't know, this date is actually the anniversary of the Storming of the Bastille and is considered a major point in the French Revolution. Because of this, I had to have a jersey in actual, proper French flag colours. Of course, I didn't consider using legend Cleo Green for the jerseys, ended up just using myself.

In any case, that's it. I have another team in mind but I'm open to suggestions regarding other teams. I'd love to take any tips, hope you liked them and if you didn't, feel free to give any helpful suggestions on what I can improve in the future. Thanks for your time!

Quote:Words - 1094

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR

Great read!

Also in before ''oui oui, baguette''

Character Page RD- Quarterback
[Image: micool132.gif]

Retired players:
-Toki Wartooth
-Nathan Explosion btw
-Angus McFife XVIII

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

11-26-2019, 06:07 PMmicool132 Wrote: Great read!

oui oui, baguette

thanks for spelling it right

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs
(This post was last modified: 11-26-2019, 06:44 PM by micool132.)

11-26-2019, 06:24 PMbluesfan55 Wrote:
11-26-2019, 06:07 PMmicool132 Wrote: Great read!

oui oui, baguette

thanks for spelling it right

Fait plaisir mon chum

P.S. have you retired yet? Tongue

Character Page RD- Quarterback
[Image: micool132.gif]

Retired players:
-Toki Wartooth
-Nathan Explosion btw
-Angus McFife XVIII

[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

I love this

Fun facts with JP:

The SHL actually did do a European League for a bit that was called the EEL. Back in the S10ish time we were having problems with multis because people were bored with one player, so they created this mini league within SHL. Even more fun, if I remember correctly you could retire in the SHL and enter the draft with your EEL player (there were some TPE restrictions) instead of going through juniors. I may be wrong however, it was a long time ago and it didn't last long

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

11-27-2019, 11:44 AMJumpierPancakes Wrote: Fun facts with JP:

The SHL actually did do a European League for a bit that was called the EEL. Back in the S10ish time we were having problems with multis because people were bored with one player, so they created this mini league within SHL. Even more fun, if I remember correctly you could retire in the SHL and enter the draft with your EEL player (there were some TPE restrictions) instead of going through juniors. I may be wrong however, it was a long time ago and it didn't last long
That sounds pretty neat! I didn't know that was a thing when I came up with this and it's a bit of a shame that's probably lost to the sands of time.

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR