Create Account

Opinions on FHM Switch Timing

So we were talking about FHM in the Outlaws LR this morning and I realized something about the timing of the switch and the possibility of a reddit draft coming up around the same time and figured it would be interesting to get people's opinions on this

Do you think the league would benefit from timing the game switch to match the next SMJHL reddit draft or would it be better to get it done before or after bringing in such a big draft class?

Personally as an SMJHL GM I think the best scenario would be having the switch done a season before reddit so that we're more comfortable with the sim and the builds/player types when helping out new players but I also wouldn't mind a switch happening the same season. The only possible situation that I don't love would be switching shortly after the next reddit draft, it would be a waste to get such a big class introduced to STHS and then have to switch them all over a season or two later.

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

100% agree it's gotta be done before the reddit draft. The community as a whole needs to understand the sim engine better in order to pass on some knowledge to the first gen players to keep them around. If we aren't able to answer their questions, good chance they don't stick around.

Falcons Canada

I think we can still have the regularly scheduled Reddit recruitment. GM’s and Rookie Mentors will be filled in on how FHM works as we learn more about it in the coming weeks, so it’s not like we would be flying blind into this new engine.

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

11-27-2019, 11:41 AMNONAME Wrote: 100% agree it's gotta be done before the reddit draft. The community as a whole needs to understand the sim engine better in order to pass on some knowledge to the first gen players to keep them around. If we aren't able to answer their questions, good chance they don't stick around.
Teddy and Tomen are on the rookie mentor committee. Arguably the two most knowledgeable members right now on the switch to FHM Tongue

11-27-2019, 11:41 AMNONAME Wrote: 100% agree it's gotta be done before the reddit draft. The community as a whole needs to understand the sim engine better in order to pass on some knowledge to the first gen players to keep them around. If we aren't able to answer their questions, good chance they don't stick around.

To that point, as devil's advocate, I think more people will have the answers as general knowledge to at least some of those questions. I've never touched FHM, but I know when I joined back in S30 many of my Reddit classmates were addicted to EHM at the time and I dabbled with it some out of peer pressure. FHM is a far more known commodity as a commercial product readily played by fans of hockey than STHS, even if I know jackshit about it. Maybe some people currently in leadership positions don't have that knowledge yet, but I'd imagine the amount of available knowledge would be greater across the board from HO all the way down to rookies joining the league once you figure out which people have played FHM.

I feel like I've terribly explained what I'm trying to say here but hopefully it makes sense.

Zach Evans[/b] | Player Page | Update Page
Nikolai Evans
| Player Page | Update Page

11-27-2019, 11:53 AMWannabeFinn Wrote:
Teddy and Tomen are on the rookie mentor committee. Arguably the two most knowledgeable members right now on the switch to FHM  Tongue

To be fair there's only so much the mentors can do, SMJHL GM's are gonna be a big part of helping new members get started on building their players so it's important that we at least have a good idea of what we're doing.

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

11-27-2019, 12:01 PMBDonini Wrote:
11-27-2019, 11:53 AMWannabeFinn Wrote: Teddy and Tomen are on the rookie mentor committee. Arguably the two most knowledgeable members right now on the switch to FHM  Tongue

To be fair there's only so much the mentors can do, SMJHL GM's are gonna be a big part of helping new members get started on building their players so it's important that we at least have a good idea of what we're doing.
I’m quite confident that the knowledge we gain from FHM will spread through the league in one way or another. We still have 2 months at minimum to learn about the new engine, if not longer.

11-27-2019, 11:53 AMWannabeFinn Wrote:
Teddy and Tomen are on the rookie mentor committee. Arguably the two most knowledgeable members right now on the switch to FHM  Tongue
While they obviously do great work, they aren't the only ones helping rookies. Gm's/Co-gm's get asked a ton of questions on how to do things/how things work as well. The more knowledge everyone is, the better the process will be IMO.

Falcons Canada

11-27-2019, 12:50 PMNONAME Wrote:
11-27-2019, 11:53 AMWannabeFinn Wrote: Teddy and Tomen are on the rookie mentor committee. Arguably the two most knowledgeable members right now on the switch to FHM  Tongue
While they obviously do great work, they aren't the only ones helping rookies. Gm's/Co-gm's get asked a ton of questions on how to do things/how things work as well. The more knowledge everyone is, the better the process will be IMO.
Yeah, I get that... like I said above, as we learn about the engine that knowledge is going to spread throughout the league. We are still in the very early stages of all of this, lots of time for learning.