Create Account

Star Arrival in Texas Ready For Success

[Image: cut.jpg]

After a surprising afternoon yesterday in which the Texas Renegades hired and fired a goalie coach in the space of a few hours, today saw the dust settle and some positive news arise from the situation. Former Renegades goaltender Walter Hobbs, a few short months removed from playing for the team, was hired by Texas to be their new goaltending coach yesterday morning and flew down to Dallas to begin work immediately. However, things were not to work out this way, and upon landing, he received a phone call from GM Sven Karlsson which didn’t go how Hobbs wanted.

In the space of the three hours previous, Karlsson had spoken to his former teammate Nikita Nevzorov. Nevzorov may just be the most underrated goaltender in SHL history; those who remember watching him play have some fantastic memories of his stellar play in net for many seasons with the Portland Admirals and the Toronto North Stars. For those who didn’t get the opportunity, his name is often passed up in greatest of all time conversations for some unfathomable reason, but those who saw him in his prime know what he was truly capable of. Karlsson and Nevzorov crosses paths in their playing careers, sharing a team in Portland for two seasons in S26 and S27, during which time they became firm friends, and Karlsson believes Nevzorov has one of the best goaltending minds in the world. A chance phone call between the two that morning put a crazy idea into Karlsson’s head; maybe the hire he’d made wasn’t the right one. “I have worked with Hobbs for many seasons and cannot speak highly enough of him”. Karlsson said this morning. “He’s always been a great professional and will always be deeply tied to the Renegades. However, Nikita offers something truly once in a lifetime. With the young goaltenders we have in the pipeline in Patrick Niederreiter and White Goodman, I believe there is no one better than Nikita to take their talent and mould it into the next great goaltender”.

Obviously there is regret from the Renegades’ management on the withdrawal of the offer from Hobbs and the way the situation is handled. However, they don’t see it as necessarily the end of their relationship with him. “I’m sure that Nikita will be looking for staff to help him in his new role, and I think Walter would be a great fit as part of this. It isn’t just the players who will benefit from his expertise and knowledge, it will be the younger coaches who are working around him too. I think he’ll really give them an opportunity to grow into great professionals”.

Nevzorov cut a steely figure on the ice in training camp this morning. He said little to the wider group, but took young starting goaltender Patrick Niederreiter aside for some development discussions and it’s believed the two will be setting a strict training regime in order to maximise their ability and success going forward. Nikita is someone totally motivated by winning. His relentless searching for success during his time as a player in the SHL will surely rub off in his coaching style with the players in Texas. Nevzorov gave nothing less than his all every time he played and I believe that’s exactly what he’ll demand from those he works with. Nevzorov was a phenom, a winner and a champion. He will undoubtedly expecting exactly the same of those around him, and as training camp pushes on here in Dallas, it will be interesting to see how quickly his impact can be felt in whipping this Texas goaltending unit into shape.

606 words

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

Is is Unacceptable, i want my severance!!!!!

[Image: 54855_s.gif]

Knights ||  Patriotes

Whalers|| Renegades ||  Patriotes ||  Finland

Renegades ||Militia ||Canada  

[Image: jearim.gif]