Create Account

Know your Raiders - Karl Krashwagen
(This post was last modified: 11-30-2019, 01:43 AM by CementHands. Edit Reason: Typo )

Goooooooood Evening Halifax!!! Tonight we are pleased to bring you the latest edition in "Know your Raiders". Jason Staples caught up with Raiders assistant caption, number 53 Karl Krashwagen in the offseason and was able to dig a bit into what makes him tick.

Jason Staples - First of all, let's talk about this recent draft. Halifax ended up drafting well into the "pass" rounds to get players, and they ended up adding quite a few new players to the roster.
Karl Krashwagen - I don't think there's very much risk in this. We had a lot of open roster spots, and there's a chance that we might stick with one of these guys. It's either giving a rookie a shot, or grabbing a washed up player, I say let's go with the new blood and have a potential spark out of the bunch!

Jason Staples - You have played two full seasons now with Halifax. What was your experience with last season compaired with your rookie season?
Karl Krashwagen - Well rookie season was definitely eye opening. I'm not sure what I was expecting coming overseas to play, but it was definitely different. Getting to know the smaller ice, new system, new language and customs in addition to playing against older, better players lead to some rough spots. I just tried to focus on my game and thought if I kept at it and learned from guys like Atlas Rush @Rublic, FR Finn-Rhys @FinnRhys, and kept competing with Barron @charlieconway then I would be in good hands and a good position to move up in the lineup and continue to grow as a player. Coach Balls @Flareon has also been very supportive and encouraging and keeps me in line when he needs to.

Jason Staples - Where do you see this next season leading?
Karl Krashwagen - We took a run my rookie year and ultimately fell short to the eventual champions. Bit of bad luck we hit them as early as we did in the playoffs. That lead into a rebuild year where we ended up moving out a ton of talent so part of me was excited because all of a sudden our forward lines were wide open, but most of me was horrified because I went from being a 4th line guy where as long as you don't get scored on it's a good shift to being one of the go to players. We got a good crop of excited young players, and we added more talent at the draft so I see us making a good push for the cup this year.

Jason Staples - You were named a rotating alternate captain last year alongside FR Finn-Rhys. He ended up being traded midway through the season and you assumed full duty. Can you please elaborate a little on what the process of representing the leadership group was?
Karl Krashwagen - Sure. The Raiders may not have a solid history of winning, but they have an amazing development program and leadership group. Studs like Atlas Rush @Rublic, Esa Parmborg @Steelhead77, Perry Morgan @Flareon, and legends like Troy Reynolds @sharksisback came here and set the tone for what it means to be a Raider. It's an honor getting to wear a letter and to have some official leadership, hopefully I can live up to this reputation with Barron @charlieconway and help grow the Raider brand for the next crop of youngsters. 

Jason Staples - Atlas Rush - long time Raiders captain and a core member of the Halifax team for these last 4 seasons, and Adam Barron - first overall pick in the SHL draft and a very active member of the community were the other 2 members of the official Raiders leadership group last year. Heading into this season, Rush will be moving up to the SHL which leaves a leadership void to be filled by Barron and yourself. How are the two of you going to approach leading a team of mostly sophomores and rookies?
Karl Krashwagen - Well as I mentioned a bit earlier, we have a strong core of players from last draft who have picked right up into the swing of things. Guys like Al Kayhall @mxman991, Thicc Cheezy @sailingdrumstick, Abel Skinner @KC15, Villeneuve @adamantium, Indigo Trevino @Carbine, and Bjorny are are ready and capable to carry this team and help out, so letters are more a formality than anything. Almost anyone could have one and be a great leader because we depend and stand out for each other. We're a tight group, and you don't find that with every team.

Jason Staples - Last season you changed your jersey number from 9 to 53. Why did you change after your rookie season, especially after playing with a fairly commonly sought after number
Karl Krashwagen - Yea, I picked 9 in my rookie year because I had always worn 77, but Parmborg @Steelhead77 already had it, and there was no way I was going to ask a vet to give some new unheard of kid for his number. After my rookie year the number was available and Coach Balls @Flareon asked me if I wanted first dibbs on it. I thought long and hard, I did decide to switch, but not back to 77. I went with 53, my SMJHL draft pick. I like to remember how excited I was to be drafted. I wasn't expecting to go high, but Halifax took me with their 3rd available pick and I hope I can live up to that. Going 23 in the SHL draft last year showed a huge jump, and I guess I was getting a bit more noticed. I like the number because it is a constant reminder that it doesn't matter where you start, it's that you start and as long as you put in time and sweat you can make anything out of an opportunity.
I told Adam @charlieconway that he should take #1 for being the 1oa S50 draft pick, but he scoffed and gave me the stink eye.

Jason Staples - Halifax has been ousted in their first round of playoffs in each of your two seasons here. Is this season going to be any different?
Karl Krashwagen - HELL YES IT IS. We're going to be a very competitive team for years to come. We had a hardship season, but look at how this team gells and anyone who spends any time watching our practices and games over the last 2 seasons will tell you that this team has talent and chemistry and we are going to be a force in the coming seasons.

Jason Staples - What kind of things do you want to accomplish in the SHL? What milestones have you set for yourself?
Karl Krashwagen - I have a few personal ones. I want to win a Cup before Barron @charlieconway, ideally against him. I want to beat up Andrej Doskocil @Citizen of Adraa in a game, maybe lay him out a time or 2 and then some other run of the mill ones - I want to keep getting better as a player, eventually be a leader on West Kendall, and hoist the cup a few times.

Alright, that about wraps up all of our time. Thank you once again to Karl Krashwagen for taking time out of his offseason to sit down with me for this last hour.

--1275 words--

[Image: krash.gif]

[Image: kLRJavo.png][Image: ZjgHcNL.png]

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

Nice write up man

[Image: sfOMki5.png]

Good stuff, good luck y'all

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

Hey this is awesome! Great work!

[Image: img]