Create Account

S51 PT #2 - New Attributes

I think there are 2 attributes that I would want to add to a sim that would be a little bit difficult to incorporate in a sim

I dont really know how to explain this attribute but something like Off-Ice/Preparation. An attribute thats about your player getting ready for a game or a practice. Having better focus for film days or like being a better system studious person. By adding something like that, it would make you better in special teams and more of a consistent player.

Another attribute to add would be something like Tone Setter. Having the ability to start a game fresh and intense. Making big hit plays so that it sparks your team up. Being able to score quick goals and get the team fired up. Or this can even contribute to being a better leader, having that good pre game speech or when its time to announce the lineup in the room.

There are so many "intangible" attributes that can be added to a sim that would make other players better, and more complete. And I think I would bring this up. It wouldnt be maxed out but lets say on a scale of 1-99, these 2 attributes would be somewhere between 70-80. Wanna be a good team player and these 2 stats help towards that

[Image: Bruins10.gif]
Thanks to @enigmatic , @Ragnar and @sulovilen for the sexy Signature

With a new sim engine, I would like to have a slapshot wristshot power and accuracy. In the current sim engine, we have the scoring attribute. I think this attribute is quite vague. I’m not sure if it means the player will shoot better or shoot more. Plenty of players have their scoring maxed but some of them don’t score enough goals. I think having more than one attribute for scoring will be beneficial. It will help having different archetype for forwards and defensemans.
I want my player to have a powerful slapshot and score goals as a defenseman. I would be a great option on the powerplay. Another attribute I would love to see is toughness. If you want to make a grinder a strong physical player who can take down and also take hits. They will also have a better chance at winning in a fight against a weaker player.

[Image: capybar22_600.png]

An important skill that’s going to be needed is going to be getting open. Having a high getting open is great for a player to be able to get the puck and be able to get a clear shot onto the net or be able to get past the defense. Also, team players will really show for people who are going to be able to help the team the most. Being a team player will show how well you work with your teammates. Using your teammates instead of relying on yourself will make it better for your team to do well and be able to find a way for a team to play. Positioning is also going to be a huge part of scoring and defense Having a good positioning will make your player be in the right spots for the offensive rush or the defensive zone. Being out of the position will hurt your team on offense and might leave a man open in the defensive zone and cause a great scoring chance for the other team.

[Image: ImShiny.gif]

Code:
words = 150... as if I planned it that way (note: I didn't)

With the potential (or imminent) transition to FHM, I really like the increased nuance in terms of defensive ratings. Not that STHS is bad (truthfully it is all I have ever known for simulation hockey) but, as a defenseman it is a little bit passe to me that there are really only two "defensive" attributes currently in checking and defense. While this lack of defensive attributes isn't necessarily a bad thing since it lets me focus my TPE on other more offensive attributes, I really like the look of FHM and it having a shit ton more options for a defenseman. It will certainly be interesting to see how players adjust to the new attributes and see how they are implemented since most defensemen currently in the SHL are more offensive focused than I think we will be able to be in FHM (and still be competent at defense).

WolfpackBlizzardRaptors  raiders Switzerland  FINN RHYS  Switzerland raiders Raptors Blizzard Wolfpack

[Image: hockey__27674.1518661372.1000.1200.jpg?c=2]

[Image: iOjAcRd.gif]

Having more attributes to build your player will definitely lead to more unique builds as people experiment with differing archetypes. All the standard attributes are great but there are a couple of overlooked traits that could definitely be added!

For example:

"Glue Guy" - this is like having a high charisma - your player helps bond the team, being a chatterer and bringing morale up on the bench and in the dressing room, or on the bus or plane. This role is very important to build team cohesiveness - it wouldn't even directly affect your own player - you could be a total 3rd or 4th line journeyman with no real skills, but your personality makes you an essential piece as you can give a boost to otherwise sagging or struggling players.

"Dirty Dangles" - your player is able to try and pull off trick-shots, between the legs, toe drag, lacrosse wrap-around, et cetera. Probably need to have a higher fail-rate, but a natural 20 means you pull off a highlight-reel move and gets you featured on 'SHL Tonight'.

"Hollywood!" - for goaltenders, similar to above but a successful attempt here means your goalie makes an out-of-the-world impossible save which is forever shown on highlight reels from now unto perpetuity.

Also, all of this implies that the sim also outputs an 'SHL Tonight' show with results, highlights, interviews, and commentaries!

[Image: grogu111-A11.jpg]
norway                             IIHF Team Norway                          norway

[Image: PT_2_Finished.jpg]

[Image: Spicy_Funko.jpg]
Player Page             Update Thread

Affiliate NSFL

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]

The one new attribute I am most excited to see in practice is "getting open" I assuming this will be a very important skill for goal scorers as any player is a lot less likely to get the puck if they are surrounded by opposition players. I am also curious to see how this effects the game based on team strategies. How will "getting open" look for a team that wants to trade chances in an attempt to outscore their opponent like in a run and gun style of hockey. Or how "getting open" effects those teams that would rather play a possession style of hockey and hem their opponents in their own end for as long as they can. I am also curious to find out which of the defensive stats is the counter to "getting open" or if it a collection of defensive stats. I imagine players can only get so "open" on ice so is there a total amount of TPE put into "getting open" where it no longer really makes a difference.

S52 "A" Alternate Captain of the Calgary Dragons
"GM" - Former Prince George Firebirds and Regina Force General Manager
"C" - Former Captain of the Halifax Raiders
S48 Brandon Holmes Trophy Recipient - Top Defensive Forward

FirebirdsScarecrowsraiders - TimberGrizzliesArmadaCanadaDragonsBlizzardStars - PlatoonSpecters
Davos Otasrob Player Page
Davos Otasrob Player Updates

PBE Affiliation

[Image: Too9kfy.png]
 Player Page  |  Update Page

PBE PT

[Image: Niktox.gif]
Monarchs Berserkers Scarecrows [Image: italian-flag.jpg?s=612x612&w=0&k=20&c=tO...eKFgvtgqU=]

Specters Armada Scarecrows Czechia
Panthers Specters Jets Scarecrows Usa [Image: 4star.png] [Image: challengecup.png] [Image: challengecup.png]
RIP Dangel #AD26
(This post was last modified: 12-03-2019, 07:49 AM by jRuutu.)

Intimidation is one. Having high number on that would mean that your player is someone the other players do not want to play against or at the very least causes them to look out for the player every time he or she is on the ice. Bit like Tom Wilson for Washington, is known to go over the line sometimes and he likes to hit, you have to keep your head up and see where he is at or there is real chance of him taking your head off. That extra ´having to look out for someone´ is a valuable weapon for any team.

For sim leagues there could be some kind of attribute penalty for those who have weak mental skills when they play against a player who has high intimidation.

Another skill I´d like to see is backhand shot. Instead of adding points to just shooting or wrist/slap shot - add more depth into the whole thing. Only the best of the best are able to shoot well with the backhand, could be a decent way to find a way to separate those who are one trick ponies and those who are truly elite level snipers.

Let's just all go back to our sim/role playing roots and use dungeons and dragons to run the league. We would have to tweak it a bit sure but the skills that are presented in d&d could be used pretty easily in a hockey sim. Intimidation is an obvious choice for helping guys have that tough guy feel without necessarily being an enforcer. Sleight of hand would be useful for both stick handling and tipping pucks in front of the net. Diplomacy could be ideal for a captain trying to convince the refs of reconsidering a call or diffusing some heat between a couple players. Acrobatics could be used to help dodge contacts and break free form coverage. Perception could be used to read a play and see and opening. Persuasion could be used to help rally your team and get things going.

I'd build around the intimidation skill. I want to be that super physical defenseman that makes forwards scored to go into the corners. Pretty much any mental stats would be cool to have actually.

Anyway fuck it let's roll dice.

[Image: EmersonSHL.gif]
[Image: uDjThoa.png]

[Image: PTnew-attricu.png]

[Image: Depositphotos-46829959-original-1024x602.jpg]

I really like the defensive aspects to the game. MOre than just "defense" which should be called positioning anyway, in this sim we would have actual diversity in what we can put our TPE into. First of all defensive reading is important because its how you react when a player is entering your zone and what you can do. The higher you get it, the smarter that play becomes. Another part of that is your stickchecking for when you want to get the puck away from the attacker. Having it higher I can assume will have a higher sucess of knocking the puck away, as well as less penalties while trying to do that. Then shot blocking would be where you would lay your body on the line, and the higher you get it, the smarter you block the shot(where you basically). Then there is a POSITIONING stat that is super useful to telling you where you should be, as well as other aspects like checking and hitting.

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

In terms of attributes, I would love to see more done in the mental aspects. Don’t get me wrong, some of the ones in the image above are great (such as aggression, bravery, determination). Personally, I would love to see Recovery in there as well. The idea is that if you take a penalty, get ejected or get scored upon you get lowered mental stats all around. The Recovery stat would allow for the player to get back to normal values faster, or even not lose any stats at all.

Another fun mental stat could be Prediction or Insight. Why pass where your teammate is and not where your teammate will be? Improving this stat would let the player be more effective in their decision making, whether it be blocking a pass or predicting the deke on a breakaway. This could offer up fun variations between a predictable star player and an unpredictable depth player.

(155 words)

[Image: Zoone16.gif]

[Image: 9QVaMRC.png] [Image: canybyK.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png]