Create Account

S51 PT #2 - New Attributes

Insert joke here about adding points to Passing as that attribute doesn't really exist in STHS and I'm a pass-first playmaker role...

But as the playmaker I think the new stat worth talking about in FHM is the Offensive Read attribute. Clearly I don't have much experience with FHM so don't really know how this will play into it, but assuming it's a worthwhile attribute I can see myself putting quite a bit of TPE into it. In order to get the puck down the ice, and hopefully into the net, requires more than just puck skill - it requires you to be able to see what's going on with the other team and make moves to defeat them. Whether that's a man out of position, a team cheating to one side, or any other advantage, you must be able to play the mental game and exploit their weaknesses.

This will go hand-in-hand with defensive reads as well as they are going to be trying to anticipate the offensive moves being made. I think this additional factor is going to add a significant amount of interesting data and I look forward to some dirty dangles in the future.

Code:
198 words

[Image: thiefofcheese.gif]

[Image: Yztckjo.png] 

Sig credit: Ragnar, Carpy48, High Stick King

You know me, in these kinds of PTs, I'm usually thinking about us netminders. We've garnered a lot of attention from HO due to the sim engine change, so I'd like to address this PT in our perspective.

There are two attributes I keep thinking we could add to goalies. The first one is "Anticipation". You ever watch a goalie make a spectacular save while moving laterally seemingly before the pass was even made? That's one of the aspects of Anticipation I could see being managed by that attribute. There are a few other applications to this stat, such as puck recuperation on an opposing team's clearing, or even knowing shooting tendencies of certain players. Not sure how that would be integrated in the sim engine, but it's a cool thought.

The second attribute I'd like to see implemented is "Aggression". No, I'm not saying that all goalies should be Ron Hextall and start fighting forwards that step a bit too close to the crease. I'm talking more in the sense that they're more likely to advance themselves to face a shot from the point, and be willing to push an opponent out of their vision. Or, they're going to be more feisty when trying to retrieve a loose puck in front of their net, stopping the cavalcade of rebound shots that sometimes happens in STHS.

(237 words)

[Image: KlusteR.gif]

Chiefs Monarchs Lions Berserkers Switzerland Blizzard pride Panthers Grizzlies

[Image: EePsAwN.png]    [Image: e0LuHwa.png]    [Image: eaex9S1.png]

Special thanks to @Carpy48, @Chevy, @Turd Ferguson, @fever95 and @enigmatic for the signatures!

I would like to see a new attribute in the form of “Awareness”. Currently a major problem is not just the shooting thing, it’s the fact that two very distinct elements of the game are lumped into one attribute, as there’s no difference currently between defense and the way a player positions themselves on the ice and their defensive ability. I saw an example recently of an Alex Ovechkin type player, ie. someone with incredible offensive abilities but there being no argument that the weakest part of their game is their defensive play. With the system the way it currently is, there’s simply no way to build a player with that kind of offense without having a very high level of defense to go along with it, which in my mind takes away a big part of the build distinction. Given that the move across to FHM does seem likely, it feels like this may be the most important part of the new sim to me, and will finally allow for a clear distinction between offensive and defensively capable players.

[Image: VkRiFym.png]

[Image: dankoa2004.gif]

Something funny or perhaps slightly 'different' to add would be what I would call "media skill". By that I mean how that player would act in front of journalists. One thing will happen to every player sooner or later - they will be interviewed either pre- or post-game or in other situations and we all know that some players know how to deal with the media much better than others. Either you get the same old boring lines that we have heard over and over again or - rarely - something intelligent. While this has nothing to do with actual hockey skill, it is part of a professional athlete’s life and it's something you can definitely train. An attribute that could go along with it might be a player's intelligence. It's nothing that can be measured like passing or skating, but it would add a whole different dimension to the league, at least hypothetically.

[Image: zS2lCMp.png] 

[Image: carpy48.gif]
sigs either by @Wasty, @Nokazoa, @sulovilen, @Capt_Blitzkrieg, @sköldpaddor, @Ragnar, @enigmatic, @Lime or myself

Stars Lions Berserkers
[Image: p1gG0LD.png][Image: DKMMlC3.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: ctsxTFg.png]
my portfolio | my sig shop | gfx discord
[Image: 3GX9nYb.png]
[Image: AfpXX8l.png]

[Image: bJ5d67t.jpg]

[Image: fever95.gif]
[Image: LpkqUbe.gif]

PREVIOUS PLAYER STATISTICS

A new attribute that I think should be implemented is actually three attributes. How they work is dependent on whether they are a forward or defenseman.

Forward:

Net Front Presence: Player's tendency/ability to go to the front of the net and screen/deflect shots or receive one-timers between the hashmarks.

Boardwork: Player's tendency/ability to play on the perimeter to pick up loose pucks, take shots from the slot/faceoff dots, and make plays behind the net.

Roving: Player's tendency/ability to move to different portions of the ice on a regular basis, helping to cycle the puck.

Defense:

Net Front Presence: Player's tendency/ability to engage players in front of the net and reduce their ability to screen the goaltender, as well as pick up rebounds in front of the goaltender.

Boardwork: Player's tendency/ability to engage players on the boards and come out with the puck for a breakout, as well as mitigating the cycle.

Roving: Player's tendency/ability to engage players no matter where they are on the ice, adapting from the perimeter to the middle of the ice.

Alonzo Garbanzo Final Tallies (Among Defensemen):
2nd in Goals (208), All-Time Assists Leader (765)*, All-Time Points Leader (973), 3rd in Hits (2587), All-Time Blocked Shots Leader (1882)*
*All-Time Leader Among All Skaters
Player Profile | Update Thread
[Image: IeEV7Iv.png]

177 words

As I do not know much about how the sim engine will actually work, so this wish list may be more science fiction / fantasy compared to an actual possibility. Nevertheless, I think it would be really cool to create a shooting category (separate from scoring) , and to go several steps further, we could break shooting down in to three categories: Wrist shot, Slap shot, and backhand. Within these shooting categories there could also be an accuracy and power slot for each. Theoretically these attributes would affect a plethora of outcomes within the sim. For example, the likelihood of a particular shot type beating the goalie, the likelihood of a a particular shot type getting through traffic or blocked, the ability of the goalie to cover / control the rebound-- if the player has high stats the goalie might have more trouble handling the shot and kick out a bad rebound. The problem that arises with adding all these fun new options, is that there is currently just not enough TPE to go around as our current system exists.

I think above all, FHM would present a very much-needed overhaul to how the decision-making, and actual ability behind the decision-making, systems would work. With Simon T, you have this situation where your player decides what they are going to do based on the attributes that you have. This is why the 40 passing system was broken: it presents a situation where players are just throwing pucks on net constantly because their ability to score goals and decision-making are linked, resulting in many of these shots going in. So on top of the system of FHM having variability between tendencies and ability, much more is taken into account for every basic play of a hockey game. Because of this, I think stats in the 'Offensive Rating' category of the screenshot would be massive, as it adds more complexion to every play than the very bland and vague output of plays in STHS.

(152 words)

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

There are two new attributes that I consider interesting that I would add to FHM.

The first one would be an attribute call pass reception. Pass reception is a great skill to have, because a lot of time, passes aren't aimed straight at you stick blade. Having the ability to redirect a pass from your skates to your stick is something that can put you in front of other players. In the engine, this would translate in less miss passes when they’re aimed in your player direction and it will reduce the number of turnovers from our team and increase their possession time.

The other attribute that I would add his called backhand skill. This attribute would come into play when the puck is on the backhand of your stick. From a statistic point of view, a higher backhand skill attribute this would translate in an increase in shooting and passing percentage when they come from your backhand.

158 words

Nor Ge
Citadelles

Salzberger Lillehammersson
norway Inferno World Falcons

Anders Christiansen
[Image: inferno.png] [Image: dragons.png] [Image: wolfpack2.png] [Image: stars.png] [Image: Dxdffra.png] [Image: hGKuRrv.png] [Image: sAx3Llh.jpg] [Image: firebirds.png]

The main attribute I would love to see in a new sim engine is resilience. Everyone knows that hockey is a huge mental game, things like going down 3-0 in a game or series/losing teammates to injury require a huge mental push from all players. I would like to be able to adjust how your player reacts to that. Does your player quit after being on the ice for 2 straight goals against? Is he able to bounce back when his give away in the defensive zone puts his team down late in game 7? It would be difficult to fully grasp everything that this stat could encompass but I think it's a little crazy that in STHS as it is, your player is an unfeeling robot who skates just as hard if they are down 0-8 then if they are in a 2-2 tie. I would like to see a stat make it so a team has a much better chance of pulling together as a group and making that huge comeback.

[Image: 4bGW0Vw.png]

I would like to see an attribute added that would improve the creativity of any player's celebrations. This could start at a higher rate as the player comes out of junior/college, and over time it could deplete as the player matures. It would take TPE to keep the attribute at a high level and maybe we could implement the option for each user to suggest their own signature celebration. I'd totally put lots of TPE into this especially since I plan on making a perennial goal scorer, and my signature celebration would involve something along the lines of an arrow shot into the sky, with maybe a kneel on some occasions. I think on the ice, it would provide a grave incentive for players to score more goals so they could show off their celebrations. It would invoke creative thinking throughout the locker room and get the entire bench pumped up and get the ice tilting in the dominating team's favour.

[Image: bobby1.jpg]

[Image: DaNnVpo.png]   [Image: CfsNrQZ.png]   [Image: ZZLBWWZ.png]
Kraken | Switzerland | Jets

Just looking at that screenshot of EHM would get anybody who likes fantasy players excited. You might lose a few semi active people because of the multiple choices, but the ones that the mental ratings represent could really see this league take a different course.

I have built an enforcing defense men on SHL, and I loved it, watching the hits and fights stack up, being a shut down guy was a lot of fun, and having the mental ratings would really open players like me to explore outside of goal scorers and passers with leaders and glue players that might keep me more interested in the league.

Then even taking that further and checking the role ratings would also be unique, with the mental ratings they would really play into those roles and the amount of roles I see on this screenshot versus SHL must be triple the amount because they breakdown the players even more which is very cool, like having 3 separate grinders is very cool to think about because one on here right now is basically all you get.

I would certainly embrace something like that!

[Image: WtrC9qy.png]

FalconsJapanpride

There is one attribute in STHS that the SHL never utilized: Morale. Any future sim engine that the SHL migrates to needs to take into account the mental effects of the game, not just the physical ones. However, it would be boring to just have one simple morale attribute. Instead I propose several different attributes that tie into morale. Team morale is an important part of winning and therefore these multiple attributes should be very important in the new sim engine. The attributes that are part of morale will include:

1) Fortnite Skills – Playing Fortnite on the road with the boys is essential for morale. Improving this stat will improve a team’s mental fortitude on the road.

2) Music Taste – Nothing gets the team pumped up like good music. Improved music taste means that the team starts off the first period strong thanks to the appreciation of good pregame music

3) Facial Hair Growing Skills – Effects morale in the playoffs. The more facial hair on the team, the scarier they are in the playoffs.

[Image: 60354_s.gif  ]
[Image: 1yZYUXK.gif]
Sig Credits: Gorlab and Kylrad

[Image: shepard-stats.jpg]

[Image: jrousseau.gif]
[Image: j7ebBxQ.png] [Image: FbT2Pb1.png]
Canada Knights Canada Knights Canada
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2019, 12:54 AM by rangersbruinslightning.)

[Image: Webp-net-resizeimage-1.png]

I really love the thought of adding the intangibles and the mental attributes.
Randomly chose a player for this.

[Image: 60043_s.gif]
Player Page                Update Thread 
Thank you to @Wasty and @frithjofr for a couple great sigs!