Create Account

S51 PT #2 - New Attributes

I personally think the new attributes that would be interesting to add are the 3 speed attributes. Newer, and even veteran members, have always thought of skating as a speed modifier. This is a mistake because it actually determines how likely a player is to hold onto the puck and skate with it rather than being hit of the puck. Having speed, acceleration and agility would finally give players the freedom to modify a player's speed and diversify player builds by a ton. Are you making a smaller playmaker? You might end up having speeds in the 90s. Are you playing as a bruising power forwards? Well, you might have lower speeds to compensate for your big body. The same would go for offensive, puck moving and defensive defensemen. I've always found it weird that we've never really had a way to determine player speed and in theory, all players are the same speed. But with new attributes, players are given more freedom in that regard.

Code:
166 words

[Image: theziegs.gif]
[Image: buster.gif]

I would like to see a leadership attribute in the sim, which would as it implies decide how good of a leader you are. Some people are really striving to become a captain or alternate, so having a stat that would help you be a leader that can give some more morale to the team that would be cool.

On one hand i would like to have Morale in the sim. Though i understand that it isn't really feasable seeing how some teams that lose a lot from the beginning wont really be able to get backin the game, seeing how we dont have coaching changes that will raise their morale. Maybe we should add both Leadership and Morale and have the team get higher morale based on the leadership stats of the captains? That would be a fun twist where GMs would have to think about. But then again the GMs would probabluy just add leadership to their own players and make them captains in the sim and say something else on the site.

[Image: 41373_s.gif]
[Image: vhY18i8.png][Image: 7WSfxIG.png][Image: nBgNUTY.png]

I think FHM seems to call it “offensive read” but that goes to what I originally thought would be a good attribute to have in vision or awareness. The passing stat is a bit lacking in Simon. I assume it’s both the actual skill of passing as well as vision of the ice (or actually useless as we’ve come to find out) but seeing that FHM has both passing and offensive read is definitely encouraging along the lines of a way more detailed and unique path for builds. It looks like positioning and defensive read are also skills which can definitely lead to a stark contrast in builds between offensive and defensive awareness. It will be much easier to build into the archetype that you were thinking of with all the new options. Being that I was trying to build a playmaker, I’ve felt useless at times in Simon and hopefully FHM fixes that and makes playmakers and pass first builds relevant.

[Image: xvPjYUR.png]
syndicate Outlaws Switzerland

There are a lot of cool new ratings that could be fun to experiment with. I think in general it opens up so much possibility for cool builds and trying something completely different that could work really well in the new sim. I think the offensive and defensive read categories are really interesting. I wonder how that affects the game and in general the sim. How would your team change in that time? How would it affect your player? I feel like that could be really effective but I don't know since I haven't done much testing with my player yet, but I feel like that could be a really really interesting new challenge and a rating that could really set apart some players. If you want to set yourself apart and be different, investing highly in those categories could end up giving you great statistics but also really boost your teams win percentage overall.

[Image: AwDqhTW.png]

With the potential of switching to the FHM sim engine and the introduction to some new attributes, I think we should think about adding some of the 'unsung hero' attributes.  Things like grittiness and preparation.  Grittiness would have to do with the player willing to get in the dirty areas.  A gritty player not always end up in the three stars discussion, but their hard work on the ice in the corners and in front of the net may result in their team scoring a game winner or preventing one.  It's an attribute that often is overlooked, but a player that doesn't hesitate to try and make a play knowing that they could very well get hit or have to engage with an opponent is invaluable to their team.  For preparation, this attribute has to do with a player studying and knowing their opponents and their own weaknesses.  Once they know their opponents weakness, they can attempt to expose these weaknesses on the ice.  When the realize their own weaknesses, they can work on their game and try to fix the issues they noticed.

[Image: Ci4nm13.png]sig by @Bruins10 
Scarecrows   Specters   Canada 

I don't think something like this would work in a sim league but longevity and potential are a couple of interesting concepts.

Let's say you start with 0 out of 20 in both attributes, and you can put up to 30 points into longevity and potential before your 7th season. So for example, you could go with 20 potential and 10 longevity, or 20 longevity and 10 potential or 15 in both.

If your potential is above a certain threshold, bonus points will be added to all of your attributes during your prime years (seasons 7-10), and the higher your potential the better you will be at your peak.
Longevity determines how many bonus points will be added to your attributes in seasons 10 and later.

So you can build a player that will destroy the league for a couple of seasons but will decline quickly, or you can choose to build a player that will never be a true superstar but will be very good for a long time.

Player info | Updates | Stats
SteelhawksCanadaWhalers

[Image: aawil.gif]

I'm more familiar with EHM so I will borrow a couple ideas from there. One of my favorite attributes is agitation. I think the main point of it is more like constantly keeping your stick close to your opponents, the puck, etc. such that you are not drawing penalties but you are making it difficult for them to do anything as you try to hassle the puck back to your team. My preferred mental image for it was more like jabbering at your opponents on the ice, literally annoying them so much that they just give up the puck instead. Anyways, though there is a lot of value in this style of play, it does not match up with Gotze's preferred play style at all, so he wouldn't invest into this much.

An unique aspect of EHM is that they break up the checking that we use in STHS into checking (which is more like positioning) and hitting, which will be my other focus here. There are probably lots of arguments for checking being more important than hitting in order to be solid defensive player. However, I'm gonna ignore all that and stick with the idea behind Gotze of just being the hardest hitter he can be, so it would be an easy choice to invest in this area of heavy physicality and just go around knocking the heck out of people.

[Image: gotze_team_siggy.png]
[Image: lKRNHAn.png]

PBE PT

Shooting Accuracy & Shooting Range: I love the idea of splitting up the scoring attribute into two separate categories. It allows for even more build diversity which to me should be the ultimate goal if any type of simulation change happens.

Screening: This attribute alone might make the power forward build come back if the game's strategies can have it so a player is constantly being a net presence which again goes into build diversity. If this attribute also takes into effect tipping the puck that would make it that much better.

Positioning & Defensive Read: I like the addition of these the same way I like separating the scoring attribute. It breaks down a defensive players game more and allows for more creativity on how you want your player to be defensive. You can load up on attributes like this and maybe stick checking and have a non-physical defensively sound player or maybe you want to have a really aggressive player and you load up on those attributes.

Falcons Canada

I would like to see something along the lines of agility. Yes we have the skating stat - but the agility could be used to determine a players effectiveness in the corner or in tight spaces etc. A player with high agility would be able to maneuver around players with high strength and checking attributes. Kind of like a "you can't hit why you can't catch" situation. This would be geared more towards east-west and not so much the north-south speed.

I would like to see maybe a hockey IQ stat. Forgive me if there already is one. But this could make huge difference for players going for the playmaker role. Hockey IQ is so important when you're looking at player success in real life. A player with high hockey IQ may not have the outright skill of some players, but if you're able to read the game effectively you are much more naturally successful.

[Image: img]

NSFL PT

Code:
Written task: Write about a new attribute (or two or three or however many) that you think would be fun/unique/important/interesting/cool to add. This can be one that actually exists in FHM, a funny one as a joke, or whatever you can think of off the top of your head - as long as it's something new that doesn't currently exist in STHS. What's the new attribute? Would you personally add lots of TPE to this attribute? How will it affect players on the ice? (150+ words)

One stat that I've always liked was offensive awareness. I think this is more from the NHL video game than anything else but I think that stat is very important for anyone that wants to be productive offensively like myself. It's good to have amazing stats in some attributes like scoring and passing but if you don't know what you're doing in the offensive zone, it should show from this attribute and I would add a lot of my TPE towards this stat. Another stat that I think we should include is decision making. I know that the attributes we use now are more about tendencies but this new stat would incorporate everything towards. The higher the decision making attribute, the more likely your player will make the right decision (ie. make the right pass, take an open shot) rather than doing what his tendencies say. This is another stat where I would put a bunch of TPE into because I think this would be very important if we ever used it.

Code:
172 words

[Image: RBQhWRP.png]
[Image: sLnhTvh.jpg]

[Image: unknown.png]

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR

I've always liked the idea of personality attributes to build more character around the skaters.  Specifically, I'm looking to build how my skater plays the game, not necessarily how well they perform the actions they take.

For the sake of discussion, I will just use EHM attributes as examples for the types of things I'm looking for.  Personally, I would love to build Slip McScruff kind of like Zdeno Chara and invest in Teamwork, Influence, and Bravery.  I wouldn't invest in things like Creativity or Flair.  Someone could build a super star goal scorer that has high Creativity, Flair, and a Shooting Tendency but they would skip Teamwork, Bravery, and Aggression.

While the idea of mental attributes isn't super original, I would love to come up with a system separate from TPE so you don't have to choose between building your personality and building your skillset.  Especially at the beginning of NSHL, I wanted to do the Chara build from above, but needed to build up my skillset to be relevant.  Instead, I would want this personality system to be based around experience in the league.  This would be like the veteran in the locker room, their physical skills may have regressed due to age, but they still have more experience than the rookie.  They know themselves better and have an established style, whereas the rookie may still be figuring that out.

So maybe at the end of every season, you earn some number of points that can be applied towards your mental traits.  Different archetypes can have different starting mental traits too, so a defensive defensemen might start with more aggression and you have the option to temper that over time to reduce the amount of penalties you take.  Whereas a sniper may start with lower teamwork and you have the option to become a better team player or stay as the finisher.

I'd think winning the cup or losing in the finals would be a strong learning experience, but I'd be concerned with already successful teams snowballing based on success.  That could work paired with something that makes it harder for teams to stack their lineups, like a higher minimum salary or a smaller cap.  It could also come from IIHF play, but then we have to account for teams like USA and Canada where it takes longer to make the roster.

[Image: scrufdaddy2.gif]
credit to Flappy, ToeDragon, and Carpy

Patriotes Stars Panthers Platoon Specters Platoon Panthers Specters Aurora Jets Usa Scarecrows

[Image: Tqabyfh.png][Image: UDyqktK.png][Image: 1DL5JDX.png]
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2019, 07:44 PM by Jearim.)

A few New Attributes that would be very interesting would start with :

Clutch: Ones ability to rise to the task in the the most important times of a game.
example: 1- final minutes of the game when everything is on the line.
              2- Game 7 of a playoff series

Shot Power / Shot Accuracy : As a replacement to just shooting. breaking it down would obviously give more control on a shooters true ability to shoot the puck. Snipers would take advantage of this in a build Template league where every build has different limits.

Sacrifice : The desire to block shots or take the hit to make the play.

Vision:

For Players: The Ability to see the play develop. Great on both sides of the puck.

For Goalies : The Ability to track the Puck through a crowd. As goalie go, If they can track it, they can save it. ( Limit to 80 tpe)

[Image: 54855_s.gif]

Knights ||  Patriotes

Whalers|| Renegades ||  Patriotes ||  Finland

Renegades ||Militia ||Canada  

[Image: jearim.gif]