Create Account

What if: the SHL was in Europe (2/16 - Wann ist West Kendall?)
(This post was last modified: 12-02-2019, 05:27 PM by Thunfish.)

As mentioned last time...

We've recently finished the fiftieth season of the SHL. Now, I'm not all that versed on these kinds of leagues but having fifty seasons is a pretty neat record. I can't think of many other events like these that are still around after lord knows how long. So I was thinking about doing some sort of media piece regarding this sort of thing, making some jerseys and whatnot. But then, I realized that this needed to at least stand out somewhat. And well, considering some of our users are from Europe, why not imagine how each team would be if we were a league based in the Old World?

So, here are some self-guidelines, to at least give some sort of idea towards what I'm doing here.

Quote:- I'm allowing myself to not make logos by hand, so if it looks like whatever logo I'm using is already a thing somewhere else, that's probably why.
- I'm not using any of the current team names for the series but they should at least have some sort of link towards the actual SHL team.
- I am accepting requests, as long as they're tasteful.

When I first came up with this series, I obviously had a couple of teams that were certainly more complex to come up with identities for. Teams like New England, Minnesota, Los Angeles and Toronto are teams that I already have some ideas for, mostly off-the-wall stuff but still, they're kind of easy to come up with. And then, on the other hand, there's the West Kendall Platoon. As a Brazilian, I sincerely thought that it was a made-up place until someone explained to me that it was a real place near Miami. Now, that's not a dig at the team (by all accounts, if you have the chance of placing a team anywhere you want, I'd always suggest going for the Kalamazoos and the Macons; my fantasy football team was billed as being from Coachella, after all) but it did make for a little bit of confusion earlier on.

Anyway, checking the Wikipedia article for West Kendall says almost nothing, to be honest. It says that the place is actually an unincorporated community in Dade County, it has a couple of high schools, a college campus and that's about it. It also says something about Haitians, which I can comprehend (it happened in Rio too) but that's about it. Needless to say, there's not a whole lot to work with here. So, I decided to pull an old work from the past and see where that would go.

Once upon a time, I took part in a league called ESHL. It was probably my first try at running a team in a sim league. I decided to base it after a town in Switzerland called Thun. I did so mostly because it was the inspiration behind my username, to begin with, but also because there really isn't a whole lot to do at Thun. Turns out that this town in Switzerland is in the same situation as West Kendall: it's near somewhere more relevant (Thun is near Bern, after all) but their Wikipedia article has more stuff about them.

There's also another thing with Thun: they have a hockey team. I'll sum it up with a couple of lines from Swiss user @Segi back when I was working on the old Thun Lakers' identity.

[Image: unknown.png]

So, introducing the second team of my series: the Euroverse West Kendall Platoon, the Thun Lakers!

HOME
[Image: Thun_Lakers_Away.png]

So, as you can see here, I did get some influence out of the Platoon's colour scheme although I had good reason to do so. For starters, this was the original logo I used back in the day for the Lakers as is, but the colours do kind of fit: the red and white from Switzerland's flag and the light blue from the Lake Thun, which is also where their name comes from. The word Lakers apparently works in German too, so there's that. The logo also features the Castle Thun (or the Schloss Thun, as Segi said ages ago) while showing a rather dynamic scene of the lake, if there's any way of making a lake look dynamic.

AWAY
[Image: Thun_Lakers_Home.png]

Here's where I deviate from what West Kendall has for jerseys even further: I went with red instead of blue for their coloured jersey. I actually did this based on the town's soccer club, the institution known as Fussballclub Thun 1898. I also would like to note that the shoulders have the city's coat of arms, an element that has been used by the soccer team itself for their image and I figured it'd be a pretty cool thing to have.

ALTERNATE (HERITAGE HOCKEY DAY)
[Image: Thun_Lakers_Alternate.png]

So. That EHC Thun logo kinda sucks, right? I mean, let's be fair, EHC Thun isn't a really good team. They've been in the third tier of Swiss hockey for the last couple of years and are still there, somehow. I figured there wasn't really a whole lot of other options I could do for an alternate, so I decided to humour myself by making a jersey that would use that team's colours and... well, I found it to look pretty solid. I'm not entirely sold on the gold lake but I imagine it beats a red lake by any stretch.

So, what did you guys think? Feel free to comment and send me suggestions or constructive criticism if you so wish. Thanks for your time!

Quote:Words - 1059

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR

Wo Wann ist West Kendall?

[Image: pb_olli.gif]

Profile | Updates

[Image: vtXGfpR.png]

[Image: N2ANQtw.png]

12-02-2019, 03:11 PMprettyburn Wrote: Wo Wann ist West Kendall?

i kept trying to click on that for longer than I'd like to admit

12-02-2019, 03:50 PMefiug Wrote:

i kept trying to click on that for longer than I'd like to admit

yeah why did peebs have to do us like dat

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

Wow, you dug deep for that screenshot.

[Image: outlaws2.png]  [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]  Mathias Seger #15 | Player page | Update page [Image: outlaws2.png] [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]
[Image: Segi.gif] 
Sigs by Donini, RainDelay, Fever and OrbitingDeath

12-02-2019, 04:43 PMSegi Wrote: Wow, you dug deep for that screenshot.

Yeah, took a bit of time doing that.

Oops. Thanks, fixed it!

[Image: d8gycCg.png]
Scarecrows Dragons Czechia
Player Page - Update Page
Outlungus
Former Players: Yoshimitsu McCloud (LW, #64) - Outlaws pride Platoon Jets Aurora Ireland
Won a Four Star Cup once, knew ninjutsu, picture editors hated him, never tried free agency
Anton Harrier (LW, #90) - Battleborn Rage Ireland
Won WJC gold, liked skateboarding a lot, went to the finals with Manhattan, kept his seat glued in LR

12-02-2019, 05:28 PMThunfish Wrote:
Oops. Thanks, fixed it!

We're time travelling now?

[Image: outlaws2.png]  [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]  Mathias Seger #15 | Player page | Update page [Image: outlaws2.png] [Image: switzerland2.png] [Image: monarchs.png]
[Image: Segi.gif] 
Sigs by Donini, RainDelay, Fever and OrbitingDeath

12-02-2019, 05:43 PMSegi Wrote:
12-02-2019, 05:28 PMThunfish Wrote: Oops. Thanks, fixed it!

We're time travelling now?
Ahah, yeah, I'm sorry, I was making a reference not actually correcting you, Wo is right I believe!

[Image: pb_olli.gif]

Profile | Updates

[Image: vtXGfpR.png]

[Image: N2ANQtw.png]