Create Account

RBM1: Journal of a Detroit Rookie

1094 words, Rookie Media Bonus (50%)
SMJHL-Gameday-journals.com
JOURNAL OF A DETROIT ROOKIE
Cal Labovitch shares his routines
Cal Labovitch is currently leading the SMJHL with his eight power play assists and just behind leader and Detroit teammate Luke McMaster in rookie points with a total of ten points, all from assists. Time for us to pay him a visit and ask him about his routines and habits. We sat down with him in his apartment in Detroit to talk about training, nutrition, and his life outside the arena.

Reporter: What does a day in the hockeylife for you look like?
Quote:On a regular day, I get up around 7:30 AM for breakfast. Four eggs, some cheese on toast and two cups of coffee later I get in the car and head to the arena. Most of us arrive at the rink at around 9 in the morning. We do some off-ice training and stretching, mostly for power and flexibility of the hips and shoulders. We always listen to some music while working out, first guy in gets to hook up his phone and pick the playlist. After the off-ice training, we get into our gear, and skate for about an hour and a half. Early in the week, our coach usually has some drills for us, based on game-situations we came across in our previous games or he has us working on specific patterns to suit our next opponents. Then I get on the stationary bike for 10-15 minutes to cool down, and have a stretch. That’s a normal day of practice. On game days, we usually do some light skating and stretching in the morning.

After practice, it’s lunch time. On game days, we get a nutritious pasta at the arena’s restaurant, or in the bus if it’s a long trip. On practice days me and the other rookies have a local restaurant we pretty much always go to, where I know they serve a perfect spaghetti bolognese. If it’s not a game day, after lunch we’re off for a few hours. I try to get my grocery shopping in once a week and fill my fridge up to the rim. I don’t really like grocery shopping. I’d rather spend my free time doing something fun with the boys, or sightseeing in Detroit. The city is still a bit new to me, I’ve only been here for a few weeks now.

Before dinner we have an hour or two of video analysis planned with the team as a whole, both to analyse our own performances and to get familiar with the system our next opponents are playing. Us rookies then get some one-on-one time with the analysts as well to keep us on our toes and point out where we need to perform better, or different. I’m currently focusing on improving the defensive and positioning part of my game, by looking at clips of myself playing the coaches can point out what decisions to make next time I’m in that position.

Dinner is usually something like chicken parmesan, or a steak. I always try to get in enough veggies as well, but I’ll have a 12-ounce ribeye at least three times a week. After dinner we’re free to do whatever we want, as long as we’re back at the arena in time for morning practice, preferably not looking like shit. We usually hang out, play some video games or watch a movie. Bedtime on non-game days isn’t too late, I try to be in bed by 11 PM, so I can get my full eight hours of sleep in.

On game days we have more pasta after the game, the staff is really keeping an eye on us eating enough so we don’t lose weight with all the energy we burn on and off the ice. I always try to get some sleep in on the drive back home, though on the shorter distances we always have some poker games going on as well. Especially if it was a close or though game and we have all the adrenaline still rushing through our veins. Once we get home after games I just want to get to bed and sleep.

Reporter: Do you have any pre-game rituals?
Quote:I don’t have any of the weird ones I’ve seen around in locker rooms so far. The only thing I always do is put on my skates before any other equipment. I’ve been doing that since I was a little kid, I don’t even really remember where it came from.

Reporter: You’ve been in Detroit for a while now. What was the hardest part of life to adjust to?
Quote:Finding a place where they serve decent food was the hardest part of getting settled in here in Detroit. Back in Switzerland everything is fresh and healthy, while around here most food is either too greasy, from a freezer or really expensive.

Apart from the food, there’s not a lot of adjusting needed. Most of my life is centered around hockey, so there’s not much of a change there. And the people in the Falcons’ organization are doing a stellar job in making me feel at home and taking care of whatever needs I have.

Being away from my family has never really been an issue. I used to spend whole summers in hockey camps without my parents and siblings as a kid, so I kind of got used to it. And my parents are planning to come over in a few weeks to see me play here, so I got that to look forward to. Hopefully by then I know a bit more about this great city as well so I can show them around a little.

With me picking up those power play assists as a rookie, I’m starting to get recognized by the odd Falcons’ fan when I’m out in the city. They usually asked for a picture, or an autograph, or they just want to compliment me or ask about last nights’ game. With all the love I get from them in the stands and the support they give to the Falcons as a whole, I’m always glad to share a smile and some small talk.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

For graders: This would fall under a players perspective from my POV as 90% of the WC is his player talking so this should be entitled to RBM.

Also this is a great article. I really enjoyed it

love to see the Swiss playing well (even tho u r on stinky detroit

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

12-05-2019, 12:24 PMbluesfan55 Wrote: love to see the Swiss playing well (even tho u r on stinky detroit

Bloos pls we're only a little smelly not full on stinky :(

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

12-05-2019, 12:56 PMnotorioustig Wrote:
12-05-2019, 12:24 PMbluesfan55 Wrote: love to see the Swiss playing well (even tho u r on stinky detroit

Bloos pls we're only a little smelly not full on stinky :(

Take a bath stinky

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]