Create Account

Let's talk off-Hockey. [ROOKIE BONUS, 809 words]
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2019, 11:08 AM by 39alaska39. Edit Reason: Fixing title )

Let's talk off-Hockey. 

Topic for today is - Let's talk off-Hockey. Many would wonder - what do you mean? What I mean is, let's talk about things that happen and is done off the rink. I know that players has different taste in things and such things varies from team-to-team and I can't talk about all of the teams, but I can talk about mine - Lethbridge Lions  Lions 

I am a rookie. A fresh rookie that got offer from Lethbridge Lions, and so far - I love being rookie. So far I've got 0 points in 4 games, but that is not the thing I want to talk about. I want to talk about how cool is to be in such organization. Teammates, coaches, staff - you name it. They are great on the field and even better off the field. Each of them got unique personality that I really love. It will sound cliche, but I haven't encountered anyone that I dislike in this organization.

The time inbetween practices and games are kind of time for me. I am lazy guy when it gets about things that are not hockey related, for example, my apartment looks like a mess, I am lazy with doing dishes and everything that, but, when it comes to hockey - it will be perfect. I spend alot of time on cleaning my gear and taping my stick. I dont know how I turned out to be such an lazy guy, but that's how I am. 

I got in the team really quickly - I made friends on the first day. These guys are the best - funny, helpful and nice in total. We do all kinds of things on the off-days. Since our teams home town is not that big (around 100000 people), there is alot of activities to do. For example, bar exploration - yea, hockey players like beer, alot. We have discovered places that are amazing and nobody would belive that they could be in such town. We have done some boating for endurance and strength trainings - yes, that was done in the off-days. And the place was Henderson Lake Park. Since I am nature-lover, I really liked the place. Reminds me of home.

Since I came in the middle of season, I had to do some catching up with the city and country in general - some guys from the team showed me direction to explore the city. One of the first places I checked, was Fort Whoop-Up - back in the day it was illegal whiskey trading place. It gave me the vibe of old days, when there wasn't hockey and you could trade your sheep for box of whiskey. Since I am beer lover, I couldn't resist visting Theoretically Brewing Company. Those guys are nice A F. The company isn't huge, but their beer is great. Almost could be compared to our Latvian, but let's be honest - nobody can compete with that one. They offer wedding service, so when I'll find my second half, I will go to them to host my wedding. There was this Exhibition Park too, which really impressed me. They were hosting Great Canadian Garage sale, in which I found Playstation 1 with NHL98 game. Holy moly guys, I was excited as it was christmas. I am huge videogame fan, especially with NHL franchise. At that moment, I had not played NHL98 for good 15 years and it got me right away. I had to find oldschool TV to play NHL98 on, but it was worth every penny I spent. 

We are doing these NHL20 nights from time to time. Few people from team gathers and someones place, gathers 10$ from each player and plays NHL on Xbox. We play it by simple ladder type and winner takes all. I haven't won any of those nights yet, but I am getting there. Some of those guys are sick on the NHL nights. I've heard rumors that on of them participated in NHL organized tournament on xbox and got almost on the finals. Well, if thats true, then guy is in unlucky. Playing with them, maybe I will get the chance some year. 

I have been living here for not that long, but I feel here almost like home. People are amazing, outside our organization too - well, canadians, right? This wasn't a hard choice to come here and start my new carear point, and I think I have been doing good. Well, besides scoring, but that will come with time. 

Can someone edit topic name and include RBM1? Thats what ment with rookie bonus. Im sorry

12-06-2019, 09:48 AMKakulacis Wrote: Can someone edit topic name and include RBM1? Thats what ment with rookie bonus. Im sorry

I will but im trying to figure out if this will count for both RBM and 1st media so i will hold off on changing it for a second and correct the title as it fits. Great article though.

12-06-2019, 09:48 AMKakulacis Wrote: Can someone edit topic name and include RBM1? Thats what ment with rookie bonus. Im sorry

So we are going to let you keep your first media bonus for your next writing and this will be subject to ONLY RBM 1. Sadly making them stack makes things a bit more difficult on multiple ends.

12-07-2019, 11:05 AMgolden_apricot Wrote:

So we are going to let you keep your first media bonus for your next writing and this will be subject to ONLY RBM 1. Sadly making them stack makes things a bit more difficult on multiple ends.

Dude cmon. Thats not cool. You should have thought before this. I would have done different approach