Create Account

S51 SMJHL PT #3 - If You Can't Beat 'Em

So far in this season we have been able to at least pull a win against every team in the league thus far. That being said we do struggle a little against a few teams though and have losing records that we need to get better. Maybe it is just bad luck or maybe they just have our number. We are 1-2 this season so far against both the Halifax Raiders and the Lethbridge Lions. I would err towards the bad luck side though as both teams we have a positive or even goal differential against with 11 goals for and against vs Halifax and 11 goals for and 10 against vs Lethbridge. We do hold 1 shootout win vs each of the teams as well but as the shootout is such a crapshoot of luck I don't count those. The other big factor is that for both teams we haven't been able to get a win on the road thus far. We've lost our games visiting their barns and we've split so far at home so we need to work harder at getting some home wins and maybe going .500 on the road vs both Halifax and Lethbridge because going 1-1 at home and 0-1 on the road is not going to get it done. We do have our 3rd and 4th highest points scored in those games vs them though with 11 goals scored in both series but 16 and 17 assists scored on top of it.

[Image: thedangazone.gif]

Man, talk about a real struggle, the Kelowna Knights have had a real dearth of success when it comes to facing the Detroit Falcons. In the 6 match ups so far, the Falcons have put up 5+ goals in 5 of the matches, the sole exception, they scored 4. They had a 4-2 series lead, with the two losses both coming via shootout and to win against them Kelowna needs to score 5+ goals. I suppose the question remains of whether it's the Falcons have Luka Del Vecchio's number, the defense of the offense just tries to cherry pick to catch up, but it's always a shootout and never a fun time for a Kelowna fan. The next Falcons vs Knights match up is all the way on Day 59 and is sure to be a can't miss, late season shootout. If you've ever wanted to visit the Ol' Wild Wild West, come on down to this game and watch @zoone get lit up like a Christmas tree.

For the whole preseason I was pondering over the two teams: the Halifax Raiders and Anaheim Outlaws. With a great offer I joined this splendid team only to lose our first game versus Halifax. I didn't mind too much however as it was an exciting game, featuring my first goal, and eight goals overall. We however did not forget this occasion and went on to take the next game 6-5 in OT. So as always these games against my so treasured birthplace with so many of my idles ends up producing amazing games. In our latest match up we even took the game 6-3, but I struggled to make impact. I was put off by how aggressive they were, and we all had a good chuckle when Halifax star Indigo Trevino got aroused by the officials and ended up taking it out on the refs after a call on Halifax put us up by one. I'm not quite sure why players with such rage in them play a sport like this professionally, but I'll take the easier competition when I can, as I mentioned earlier I still had little impact that game. HOWEVER, we play them in 8 games and I've been working on my wristies so I'm excited to see how it goes Smile

Last 3 game stats compared.

[Image: tyfeCAg.png]

It happens sometimes in sports. Good teams can often play down, which means they lose to bad teams, or one bad team in particular. That might have something to do with why the Anaheim Outlaws are 0 for 3 against the Kelowna Knights this season. The Knights currently sit in last place in the SMJHL, so it’s definitely odd that the results would play out this way.

The games have been close, so it’s not like the Outlaws are going out there and getting completely worked, but there have been some performances that probably should NOT have happened, including a game in which the Outlaws allowed 6 (yes, 6) goals to this team. It was six goals on 26 shots too, not the sort of performance you want to see from your goalie tandem. Ever.

One of the losses did come in overtime, so this Anaheim club has shown resilience, but they will definitely look to get back on track next time they played them.

[Image: 2JcMUJm.png]

"I'm looking forward to our matchup against the Carolina Kraken as we face them one more time this season in Carolina. We haven't been able to pull together a win against Carolina yet this season as we have fallen to 0-3 to them in our season series. Carolina is led by their scoring leader Bobby Lane who has notched 15 goals on the season and 17 helpers. Carolina sits at 2nd in the league, one point behind Anchorage through 31 games. We are playing our game managing to get shots on net against them, we just aren't able to put the puck in the back of the net. Despite losing all 3 games we have managed to outshoot Carolina 83-81 in 3 games played. Scoring only 4 goals on 83 shots there is no wonder why the Kraken's starting goaltender McMahon is 2nd in the league in GAA with 2.47 and tied for the league lead in shutouts. It's something we'll have to work on but I know we have a good group and we'll be playing to our strengths next time we face them. I haven't seen ice time against the Kraken yet but if I get the nod i'll be ready to go. I know we'll definitely be coming into game 4 in Carolina with a little more fire as we look to not get swept in our season series."

[Image: takethehorizon.gif]
[Image: IdMkYiH.png]

[Image: NIYtQkE.png] [Image: NjFSX1z.png]

The only team that the Armada has a losing record against thus far, is the Lethbridge Lions.

The series stands at three-to-one on the season with but one more game in the books, so Anchorage will not be winning this series this season.

Two wins in regulation, both after the Lions got on the board early and often, one nail-biter that ended in a shootout, and the one Anchorage being in the Armada's hands for most of the contest.

The overall goals in the series are fairly even at 15-12 for the Lions, and the total shots are deadlocked at 102-103 (advantage to the Lions).

The one stat that stands out and may explain the Lions' success in shutting down the Armada is the special teams percentages.

Despite a strong 3rd-best power-play at 25.40%, the Armada have been limited to 16.67% when facing the Lions. In addition, with the league's worst penalty kill at 75.61%, the Armada fall further when facing the Lions to accumulate a 64.29% effectiveness while a man short.

Should these teams meet in the playoffs, the Armada will need to slay the beast that is their special teams should they wish to beat the Lions.

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY
[Image: xuHy0EF.png]
[Image: Artermis.gif]

It is still early in the season and being a member of the Lethbridge Lions, we are currently sitting in 4th place in the league. With that being said, there aren't very many teams that are having their way with us per say. However, we are currently 1-2-1 against the Anaheim Outlaws. I find it interesting that they've had their way with us up to this point as they trail us in the 5th spot of the league with 33 points, which puts them 8 points behind Lethbridge. After taking a closer look at the outcomes of the game, all of our losses have been by a narrow margin. Our first loss to Anaheim was a 3-2 SOL, next was a 2-1 Loss and most recently a 3-1 Loss. We face Anaheim twice more this season, so i'm curious to see how we fill fair in those outings. For what it's worth, in our largest margin of defeat we were outshot 24-8, while in our other two losses we outshot Anaheim 23-21 and then they outshot us 23-21, kind of funny to see how that works.

[Image: minadsslatt.png]

For the Kelowna Knights, their biggest rival so far this season has to be the Detroit Falcons. So far they've played against each other eight times. You can really develop a hatred for a team when you play them so many times, and it seems the games between the two stick to this idea. Between the two teams, there has been a total of 70 penalty minutes and 168 hits. The teams are starting to truly hate each other by this point in the season, rookies are learning what it means to despise a team and the veterans are looking at who they can take a run at next game. It's a nasty on ice battle, but for the fans it might be some of the greatest hockey you can witness. So far, Kelowna has been able to best Detroit, going 5-3-0 against the red birds.

Sven Holmberg

[Image: hexx55.gif]

[Image: mitochondriafigure1.jpg]
Player Page | Update Page