Create Account

[RBM1 - 1060 Words] Outlaw Rap Sheet: Rhys Pritchard

Sitting at 7th place in the SMJHL through 24 games, it hasn't been the start to the season that anyone in Anaheim expected, but there have been some positives for the Outlaws to take away from their disappointing first half. This rookie class appears to be one of the better ones in the brief history of the franchise. Led by 17th overall pick Rhys Pritchard, the Outlaws also boast strong early career performances by reserve net-minder Strom Chamberlain, winger Grant Thurber, as well as newly signed undrafted free agent C.T. Carragher. Today we sit down with Pritchard, who leads all SMJHL rookies with 6 goals and is tied for 2nd in points with 16 through his first 24 games.

Reporter: Hey Rhys, thanks for sitting down with me. First of all, what did it feel like to hear your name called on draft night?

Pritchard: Thanks for having me. Yeah, it was an unbelievable experience. I didn't tune in to any live coverage, I just couldn't do it. I was with my mum at her home having dinner and trying not to think about it. But I kept pulling out my phone just to see what was going on and when I saw the completion of the 1st round I started thinking "this could be it, you know? Like this could actually happen in the next few minutes." About half an hour later I got a call from the Anaheim front office and they let me know that I had been drafted to their team and I was over the moon. I had heard great things about the organization and the locker room and from what I can tell, it's all spot on. It was the perfect place for me to land. Plus, the weather here in California is a lot better than back home.

Reporter: It sounds like you're close to your mother. How does she feel about you playing in the United States?

Pritchard: She's so supportive. There's no question that she's my biggest fan. When I got off the phone with Anaheim I told her she'd need to buy a new bathing suit and she had the biggest grin on her face. It's a little hard to be away from home especially with the time difference, but we talk pretty much every day. I used part of my signing bonus to buy her and my younger brother plane tickets to come see me play a couple of times this season. I'd love to get them to move to the US but it might have to wait until I'm settled with an SHL team.

Reporter: So you're 2nd among rookies in Juniors with 16 points. That's a pretty impressive stat. To what do you attribute your success?

Pritchard: Honestly, I know everyone says this, but I have to credit my teammates. We have a fantastic leadership group in our locker room and the leadership of Ivan, Ursin, Alex, and the other vets has done wonders for my adjustment not just to the SMJHL, but also to life in the US. They helped me find my flat and showed me around town. It's a tight knit group and I honestly don't believe that I would have the same success with any other group.

Reporter: The first half of the season has had some ups and downs, what's the mood in the locker room?

Pritchard: Nothing has changed. We're just as focused today as we were to start the season. We believe in ourselves and the coaching staff. We see how hard we work in practice. Hockey is a funny game and sometimes the bounces and luck don't go your way. We believe in our game and it's going to turn around. This team has got it what it takes and I truly believe that we'll be in the mix for a championship come the end of the year. When we signed Carragher it reinforced what we already knew to be true: Anaheim's leadership believes in this group.

Reporter: Beyond the obvious team goals? What are your personal goals for the rest of the season? Do you expect your production to continue?

Pritchard: I just want to help my teammates succeed but I'd be lying if I said I didn't want to get better. But I think it goes beyond the score sheet. I don't want any of my teammates or coaches to question my work ethic or think that I can't handle key game situations. If I can end this season knowing that I have the full trust of my teammates and coaches, I would call that a successful rookie season. That means more to me than any awards or statistical achievements. 

Reporter: Thanks for your time Rhys. Good luck the rest of this season.

[Image: notoriousTRON.gif]
Sig Cred: Carpy, ML, RainDelay, Donini & Geekusoid
[Image: gs89eGV.png]