Create Account

RBM1: Game Day Routine: Chamberlain Edition [969 WC]

11 December 2019
ocregister.com - Peter Croslen

Many people would like to believe that the daily routine of a hockey player is lavishly exuberant compared to their own, particularly on days they're at work.  What they don't realize is that, unlike a traditional 9-5 job, the work day of a hockey player...especially a rookie is often longer and more involved.  I got to sit down with rookie goaltender, Strom Chamberlain to get an idea of just how crazy the day is.

Quote:What's a day like for me.  Uh, well uh...its busy.  It sort of breaks down like this:

• 6:00am: I wake up and do the usual stuff like everyone else does.  Shower, shave, brush my teeth.  I also do a little bit of working out before breakfast for about a half hour.  Usually just stuff to get the blood pumping.  Oh, and stretching.  You've got to be flexible to help lessen the chance of injuries.
  • 8:00am: I grab my bag and head to the Saloon for our morning skate.  I'm from Missouri so I'm usually jamming out to some country, maybe a little alternative rock.  (You) never can go wrong with a little Foo Fighters in the morning I think.
  • 9:00am: Depending on traffic I usually arrive a bit early at the rink for morning skate.  I can usually find fellow rookie Rhys Pritchard there.  He's usually earlier than I am.  Something about punctuality meaning something for a rookie.  Whatever, anyway We go skate and I'll work with the goalie coach on my form, hand speed.  We won't take any shots since we're not in pads but just get an idea of what to do in certain situations.
  • 10:45am: We meet with the media, like I am here, to discuss the upcoming game and other things.
  • 11:00: We have our morning meeting where we'll review some video for the upcoming game.  We'll also break out the binders and review strategy and if we need to change anything for that nights game.
  • Noon: We head to lunch.  There's a place that the whole team likes to go.  I can't remember the name of it off the top of my head, but they're really nice.  Most everyone gets the same thing so they know we're coming on home days and have food ready for us.  That's pretty awesome.
  • 1:00: Head home from lunch and read up on news around the league, what other teams are doing...especially other shooters.  Otherwise I might just relax with some television or a movie.
  • 3:30: I'll get my suit on and head back to the rink.  This is where you really start to get your head in the game.  You start thinking about our starters, their starters.  You start thinking about how your other goalie is feeling.  You start getting focused.
  • 4:30:  I get to the rink and head to the locker room.  With anyone that's there, we dress down into t-shirts and shorts, or sweats and start shooting the $%&!.  Maybe toss a ball around or goof a little bit.  Mostly loosen up and ease the tension.
  • 5:30:  We head into the last meeting before the game.  The coaches will confirm our line assignments and what should/shouldn't go down in the game tonight.  Anaheim's coaching staff is really awesome at getting us prepared, mentally for the game. It just leaves it to us to execute the plan.
  • 6:00:  We're back in the locker room putting on our gear.  Music is usually blaring something intense.  I think last night it was Pantera?  Everyone is really focused and all the b.s. is gone.  Its really awesome watching everyone get into their own personal zen.
  • 6:30: On the ice for pre-game skate and warm-ups.  Stretching and taking a few pucks in the pads.  Getting a good look at the other team.
  • 7:00:  Show time.  I don't really have to say anything about that I think.
  • 9:45-ish:  Depending on how long the game goes, its done.  We get checked out by the training staff if we need to but otherwise we're all getting cleaned up and heading out.  Good or bad, we have a quick run-down on how the game went with the coaching staff and discuss as a group, constructively, what we can improve.  There's always room to improve.
  • 10:30:  Head home, maybe grab a snack and watch some tv...catch up on the local news.  Game days are really intense in the evening.  You're adrenaline gets pumping, you're hyped up from the day so it takes a while to wind down.  I might be able to hit the sack around midnight..sometimes a bit later.   Its really tough when you're on stretches as you'll have this routine day after day.  It can be a drain if you aren't prepared for it.  

But yeah, that's about what its like in a day for me. 

Going into the second half of the season, Anaheim is currently sitting 6th in the league with a 13-12-1 record.  Strom is personally sitting at a 5-6-1 record with a 0.861 save percentage and a 3.53 goals against average.  They're set next to take on division rival St. Louis here at home tonight at the Saloon.