Create Account

Rookie Obscura [873 WC]
(This post was last modified: 12-20-2019, 02:53 PM by Chevy. Edit Reason: changed Shorthanded to Special Teams )

With the playoffs on the horizon, most rookies are starting to feverishly look back at their statistics on the regular season.  How did I do?  What can I improve on?  How am I going to do in the playoffs?  These are all questions being asked within locker rooms throughout the league.  Sure, we know from ready access to statistics who the rookie with the most points is Detroit's Luke McMaster, or the rookie with the most assists is also from Detroit (Cal Labovitch)...but what about some of the lesser known statistics?

Lets take a dive now down some of the more...obscure statistics of the SMJHL season 51 rookie class.

EVEN STRENGTH POINTS
Being on the either end of a power play can be an exhilarating thing.  So much in fact, that at times it can make the difference between winning the game, or losing the game.  Many players end up getting a few extra overall points padded depending on how they do during these man up, or man down periods of time...but when the grind is on and both teams are even, who is able to keep forward progress going?  Well, that honor goes to Cyril Vyskoc from Anchorage with 22 points.  From there it is a pretty tight in race between the rookies with St. Louis' Danny Marsten at 20, then ties at 19 between Anaheim's Rhys Pritchard & St. Louis' Mega Tron and ties at 17 points between Detroit's Luke McMaster and Kelowna's Theo Golury.

[Image: I1XOMez.png]

POWER PLAY SHOTS
Watch out for this name as you'll bee seeing him on this list a few more times, and to no surprise being arguably the top rookie in the SMJHL currently.  Detroit's Cal Labovitch, despite not leading in power play goals, definitely hasn't had a lack of attempts to light the lamp with the man advantage -- with 29 shots.  Next in line goes to St. Louis' Danny Marsten (22), Cal's teammates from Detroit Jmac N Cheese (20) and Luke McMater (19), then back to St. Louis with Mega Tron at 14.

[Image: GyMAwhh.png]

SPECIAL TEAMS POINTS
Continuing on the power-play topics here for a minute, when the pressure is on and someone has a man advantage Detroit-Rock-City leads the way with the first two spots.  I mentioned before to get used to seeing this name on here, as Cal Labovitch leads on shorty points with 13 followed closely by his teammate Luke McMaster at 11 points.  Following them is Anaheim's Rhys Pritchard at 9 points, and then a three way tie between Anchorage's Ryan Cvitkovich, Detroit's Jmac N Cheese & St. Louis' Mega Tron -- all at 7 apiece.

[Image: iwYdJ3g.png]

WHIFFS (SHOTS MISSED)
Shots are great, but only if they hit their intended target.  In one of the more interesting obscure statistics is how many times a shot missed the net completely.  These rookies might want to work on that.   Detroit's Cal Labovitch leads with 100 missed shots followed by St. Louis' Mega Tron (who also missed the all-spark) at 93 misses, Detroit's Luke McMaster at 70, and Anchorage's Cyril Vyskoc (63), Ryan Cvitkovitch at 60.

[Image: UslyUQb.png]

FACEOFF WINS

Detroit's Luke McMaster is a rookie faceoff machine having taken 1311 face offs on the season and winning 42 percent of them.  Thats 551 wins on the dot.  That for sure is part of the reason why he is the top seated rookie (points wise) when compared to the rest of the season 51 rookie class.  What's even crazier is that his number is 136 more than the next closest rookie, who happens to be Anchorage's Cyril Vyskoc with 415 dot wins.  

[Image: A9O1GPw.png]

STAR POWER
Lastly, who wouldn't like to see which rookie has the most star power in the league.  Usually the top three stars are reserved for the top point scorers, or outstanding goaltenders...but it can also be awarded to players who just flat out busted their tail on the ice and out-hustled everyone else.  Which rookie has the most hustle so far?  Well that honor goes to St. Louis' Mega Tron with 6 total nods to a star position this season so far.  I wouldn't say he has room to relax though as behind him in each point total it is a cut-throat and tight race.  

[Image: RxukMdf.png]
*(Not sure why the image cut it off, but "Shelby" is Anchorage's Shelby Schmackers) 

This is no doubt a well rounded, and exciting SMHJL rookie class.  It will definitely be exciting to see how they progress going forward both in the playoffs, and in future seasons.  

Definitely a nice write up
but you "shorthanded points" section is a little misleading
it looks like its combined Power play and Shorthanded points

Also this is written in the SMJHL games tab and not the Media section

[Image: 60133_s.gif]
[Image: W3cWGCN.png][Image: 3XEVZeB.png]
 Timber Steelhawks norway norway Steelhawks Timber  
Knights  Renegades norway   norway Renegades Knights

12-20-2019, 02:21 PMRedCapeDiver Wrote: Definitely a nice write up

Ill move it

1) FML for putting it in the wrong section.

2) I don't mean short handed as Pentaly Kill team.  I mean short handed as in its not an equal 5-5 for either team.  Its Points - Powerplay Points - PK points.

12-20-2019, 02:28 PMGeekusoid Wrote:

1) FML for putting it in the wrong section.

2) I don't mean short handed as Pentaly Kill team.  I mean short handed as in its not an equal 5-5 for either team.  Its Points - Powerplay Points - PK points.

Ya i figured it out, it was just my first reaction was holy shit how does this guy have 13 points on the penalty kill
maybe call it special teams points

[Image: 60133_s.gif]
[Image: W3cWGCN.png][Image: 3XEVZeB.png]
 Timber Steelhawks norway norway Steelhawks Timber  
Knights  Renegades norway   norway Renegades Knights

12-20-2019, 02:34 PMRedCapeDiver Wrote: Ya i figured it out, it was just my first reaction was holy shit how does this guy have 13 points on the penalty kill
maybe call it special teams points

There we go.  Special Teams points.   For whatever reason I couldn't think of something else to call it other than "shorthanded".  Cheers!

This is a really cool write-up. Thanks for putting it together.

[Image: olivercastillon.gif]

Thanks @enigmatic, @Carpy48, @Bayley, @Ragnar, @sulovilen, & @dasboot for the signatures!