Create Account

PGS S51: Game 128 - Kelowna at Anaheim
(This post was last modified: 12-24-2019, 03:52 AM by RedCapeDiver.)

Game 128 Knights Kelowna (11-12-2) vs Outlaws Anaheim (13-12-0)

This is the third appearance the Knights have made at the Outlaw Saloon and have defeated the Outlaws in both games, lets see if they can go three for three or if the Outlaws can make their way towards evening up the series.

Starting Lines:
Home Team : Anaheim Outlaws Outlaws
Ivan Maximus Leonid Kofix Raquel Castillo Gutierrez
Ursin Zimmermann, Nicholas Owens
Strom Chamberlain

Away Team: Kelowna Knights Knights
Ryan Shepard, Kalevolaripaavo Kaspertommevisnapuu, Andrey Barbashev II
Noah Nystrom, Luciano Vessot
Luca Del Vecchio

Period 1:
The first period started off with a powerplay for the Kelowna Knights as Anaheims Nicholas Owens draws a tripping penalty 25 seconds into the game.But the Outlaws penalty kill do a great job and only allow 1 shot on net.The game is pretty quiet after that with a decent amount of shot attempts by both teams but only a few reaching the net. Then at 6:41 of 1st period Gylfi Eriksson opens up the scoring for the knights with an assist by Josef Novotny. Then just 1:25 after that Nicklaus Engel scores another goal for the knights off a pass from Luke McSquirrelly and Alex Ranch at 8:06 of the 1st period. But the Outlaws strike back, with Raquel Castillo Gutierrez scoring her 12th of the season assisted by Ivan Maximus and Nicholas Owens at 9:15 of the 1st just 1:09 after the knights 2nd goal

Score after the 1st
Anaheim : 1
Kelowna : 2
Shots: Outlaws :6 Knights :9

Period 2:
The outlaws start the 2nd period off quick with Raquel Castillo Gutierrez getting her second goal of the night assists going to Leonid Kofix and Jaakko Jarvinen at 2:57 of the 2nd period.The rest of the period is a strong physical period, and the outlaws fail to capitalize on a powerplay off the tripping penalty given to Luciano Vessot at 12:26. Both goalies Strom Chamberlain and Luca Del Vecchio have a strong 2nd period and we go into the third period tied.

Score after the 2nd
Anaheim : 2
Kelowna : 2
Shots: Outlaws :12 Knights :16

Period 3:
The third period is another exciting one, with chances going both ways. With 20 shots attempted between the two teams until finally at 12:35 of 3rd period Theo Golury puts the puck past Strom Chamberlain to give the knights a 3 goal lead with assists by Gylfi Eriksson and Luciano Vessot. But then just like their first goal, the outlaws respond quickly and Rhys Pritchard ties the game off a pass by Ursin Zimmermann at 13:18 of the 3rd. The rest of the period is scoreless which brings the game into overtime.

Score after the 2nd
Anaheim : 3
Kelowna : 3
Shots: Outlaws :15 Knights :20

Overtime:
The outlaws come out of the gate strong in the overtime with Raquel Castillo Gutierrez somehow getting 3 shots off in 4 seconds, all of which missed the net. Then after the outlaws onslaught of shots the knights respond with their own pressure, and back and forth the play goes, both sides having great chances. Then at 4:19 of overtime Andrey Barbashev II scores assisted by Luciano Vessot and Josef Novotny. Winning the game for the Kelowna Knights and giving them the 3-0 in the season series between the knights and the outlaws.

Final Score
Anaheim : 3
Kelowna : 4
Shots: Outlaws :17 Knights :23
Three Stars
*** Gylfi Eriksoon Knights (1G 1A 2SHT)
** Luciano Vessot Knights (2A +3 2SB)
* Raquel Castillo Gutierrez Outlaws (2G 4SHT 2HIT)

[Image: 60133_s.gif]
[Image: W3cWGCN.png][Image: 3XEVZeB.png]
 Timber Steelhawks norway norway Steelhawks Timber  
Knights  Renegades norway   norway Renegades Knights

Three Stars Breakdown

Our third star of tonight is Gylfi Eriksoon, the Kelowna Knights second line left winger. He scored the opening goal of the game for Kelowna, and give the assist on the Knights' third goal in regulation as well. He got off three shots in the game, registering a 33% shooting percentage, but unfortunately was also on the ice for two of the Outlaws goals.

Tonights' second star of the game is another Kelowna Knights player; their starting right defense: Luciano Vessot. Not only was he involved in the scoring of two goals, including the overtime winner, by giving an assist, he was on the ice at the time of another goal as well and managed to keep the puck away from the Kelowna net whenever he wasn't in the bench. His 2 blocked shots are a game-high, and his only minor flaw of this game was the two minute penalty he took for tripping.

And in first place tonight, we have Raquel Castillo Gutierrez. The Anaheim Outlaws right winger scored two of their three goals this game and registered a positive plus/minus rating despite the loss. His game-high 4 shots and 2 hits show his involvement in the game, and his presence on the ice.

Unsung Hero

It's absolutely possible to not get your name onto the scoresheet and still play a killer of a game, especcially when you're playing in defense. And apart from point scorers, a team also needs strong players to shut the other team down. It must be pretty sour to not see your name on the three star lineup after the game when you play as good as Noah Nystrom did today though. While not picking up a single goal or assist, he did literally nothing wrong this game, staying out of the penalty box, being on the ice for three out of four of Kelowna's goals and not allowing the Outlaws to get close enough to score in the 22 minutes of icetime he got.

Fair play

Modern hockey tries to emphasize skills and technical prowess over fighting and hitting. Both teams in this game showed to possess the quality to play with their brain over brawn, both only getting penalized once for a minor tripping infraction. The level of respect for their opponents, and the willingness to use their sticks to play the puck instead of the other team's players made this a quick paced, technical and interesting game to watch. Despite the lack of fights or questionable hits, there was plenty of hockey action to see for the crowd and they got their chances to cheer for their teams on a couple of good hits and the seven goals scored.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

Tightly Matched & Clean
Tonight's matchup in Anaheim was a close-fought battle to the end, with both teams playing clean games and no single standout. While the Knights eventually got the win on the road, it's more notable what didn't happen than what did - each team took only a single penalty (specifically, a Tripping Minor each) and neither was able to do much with their two minutes of power play time. With no special teams standing out the teams stayed closely matched throughout - just over a minute halfway through the first period was the only time in which they were ever separated by more than one goal. Kelowna in the end had a slight advantage in multiple stat categories - blocked shots, hits, and shots taken - and these added up to them eking out the win in overtime, but no one individual category was the standout differentiator for either. Even the goalies, with final GAAs of 0.826 and 0.824, were incredibly evenly matched.

3 Stars
[Image: 6J3JMhW.png]

Goalie Matchup
[Image: d9mmmOl.png]

[Image: pb_olli.gif]

Profile | Updates

[Image: vtXGfpR.png]

[Image: N2ANQtw.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-24-2019, 03:45 PM by kenvald.)

Comment 1 - Shoot Your Shot
Michael Scott once famously said; "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take". While that is all fine and dandy, what is more important is to actually shoot your shots on net. Anaheim Outlaws exited the game with their second lowest shot count of the season with only 15 shots on net during the first 60 minutes. The Kelowna Knights out shot Anaheim in every period, including overtime. And it is that kind of pressure, even if hard to notice, that makes winning games a lot easier. It is the kind of pressure that builds confidence, and that kind of pressure that in the end won Kelowna the game.

Comment 2 - No Rebounds For You!
Luca Del Vecchio, while he would not get a gold star for his saving percentage, had a great night. What I want to highlight is his outstanding rebound control. He effectively did not give up a single rebound through the entire game. This is an extremely important quality for a goalie to have and was one of the key things in this game that gave Kelowna Knights the opportunity to reach overtime and win the game. This also greatly affected Anaheim Outlaws' shot total, because what are you really supposed to do when you are shooting at the human equivalent of a black hole?

Comment 3 - Honorable Mention
The Honorable Mention goes to a player which had a big impact on the outcome of the game, without being named a star.

Today's Honorable Mention goes to Josef Novotny. While looking at his score sheet we see two assists from Josef, but he was not the only player with two points this game, so why single him out you ask? Well, it is because of how he got his assists and how extremely efficient he was at the face-off dot.

I would dare to say that three of out Kelowna Knights' four goals came directly from Josef winning vital face-offs in Anaheim Outlaws' zone. Including the last game winning goal in overtime. By boasting a 65% face-off win-rate and having nerves of steel when it really mattered, Josef has without question earned this Honorable Mention.

[Image: sBUQCq8.png]

Past Players

Turning Point of the Game:
In a game where one team blows two leads including one of two goals but still scrapes out an overtime win, it's hard to call the turning point anything other than the overtime period. However, to get more specific it was the faceoff win by Josef Novotny following the Nicholas Owens icing the puck at with under a minute left to go in the extra frame. That's a play you just can't make in a game where your team has had to make multiple comebacks. That call presented Kelowna with a fantastic opportunity to shut the door and send Anaheim's fans home disappointed. Novotny didn't let the opportunity slip, beating Robinson to set up the one timer from Vessot to Barbashev to end the evening.

Difference Maker of the Game:
This was a fairly tightly played game. Both teams stayed out of the box for the most part and hits and blocks were similar. So I'm going to call Noah Nystrom the difference maker in this one. He held Anaheim's top scorers off the score sheet when he was on the ice, and when he wasn't you could see the difference that it made. Gutierrez got a goal off of a quick Outlaw line change where Nystrom couldn't get on the ice in time. Nystrom was on the ice for 3 of the 4 Kelona goals and not a single Outlaw goal. A tough 22+ minutes of ice time earns him the title of tonight's difference maker.

Wanted Poster:
Tonight's missing outlaw was Kevin Robinson. Usually a difference maker for the Outlaws offense, when Robinson is on his game it usually leads to an Outlaw victory. Unfortunately for Anaheim this evening Robinson was absent from the score sheet. Robinson finished the night with no points and a -2. He had two shots on goal and a hit in his 18 minutes played. And while 44% on the faceoff dot isn't terrible, it's not what we've come to expect from Robinson, who typically wins around 55% of his draws. Hopefully for the Outlaws, this was just an off night for the 2nd line center and he can bounce back quickly.

[Image: notoriousTRON.gif]
Sig Cred: Carpy, ML, RainDelay, Donini & Geekusoid
[Image: gs89eGV.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-03-2020, 10:50 AM by takethehorizon.)

Comment 1: Interview

[Image: joel-farabee-during-his-post-game-interv...-night.png]

I had a chance to speak to Kelowna's first line center, Ryan Shepard following tonight's win.  

1. This is the 3rd match-up against the Outlaws this season where you've come away with yet a 3rd win against this Outlaw team. What can you attribute to the success of your team so far this season?

Quote:I think now that Del Vecchio is in his second season and used to our system it helps after the struggle last season. Having the new guys on the back end and the extra forward depth really helps too.

2. You eventually went on to lead the Knights in scoring this season with 41. With a strong defensive core, does this allow you to take more chances in the offensive end? Are you able to be more aggressive knowing you have solid defense backing you up?

Quote:We played tighter as a team this season. I didn't have as great an individual season like last year but the team did a lot better so it's something I'm content with. We tried a ton off different options for a power play but nothing worked so we've stuck with being a solid 5 on 5 team and not being overly aggressive.

3. You were held without a point in this match-up. What are other ways you are able to produce for your team that may go under the radar?

Quote:I like to contribute in all areas of the game, not just the score sheet. I try to be good in the faceoff dot and on the pk so even when I'm not scoring I'm still useful to them.

4. What attributes make up a top centerman in this league? In what ways have you proven yourself in your short career thus far?

Quote:Scoring is the most obvious one, but I think defense and puck handling help a lot too. I've led the team in points the past two seasons and am one of the top faceoff guys in the league. I feel like I was close to getting a nomination for best defensive forward last season but I fell off near the end.

5. You were drafted 1st round, 5th overall in the S50 SHL Entry Draft, what parts of your game do you look to improve in the SMJHL before you move up to the next level? Do you feel you are ready to prove yourself now with Chicago?

Quote:I think I'm solid in my defensive game and mostly need to work on scoring, especially on the power play. I feel like I'm ready to make the move up once I get called upon. I'll be sad to leave the Knights, but there's not much left for me to learn in my time down here.

Ryan, thank you for your time and I wish you the best of luck in your career.

Comment 2: Man-Advantage
Each team only committed a minor penalty a piece. In this league especially it's tough to stay out of the box. I've covered numerous games where team's would have upwards of 5+ PP a night. With that being said many of the these squads rely on their PP to produce for them. But what makes a PP really tick? A powerplay is no time to relax on the ice, it's the time to put the opponent away. A successful powerplay should be able to read the defense, see what they are given and make changes based off what they are given. Passing the puck around the zone helps spread out opposing defenses, making room for looks at the net while creating open ice. Kelowna, a league worst 10.56 PP% could never seem to put up great numbers on the powerplay this year. Halifax finished with a league best 25.28% while the average was just around 20%. Kelowna's Ryan Shepard led the team in PP this season, picking up 3 goals and 6 helpers. This shows in Kelowna's record this season and they'll need to improve if they would like to finish higher in the standings next season with special teams being an important piece in today's league. 

Comment 3: Between the Pipes
This is the segment where we look at the goaltenders in tonight's match-up. We knew coming into this one it was going to be a tight goaltending contest. Luca Del Vecchio comes in with a record of 9-11-1 while Anaheim's starter, Strom Chamberlain enters with a 5-6-0 record. Luca manages to make 14 saves on 17 shots while Strom stopped 19 of 23. The Outlaws had consisting scoring throughout, scoring a goal in each of the periods. When it was tied after regulation ended, Kelowna's Andrey Barbashev II knew exactly where to put the puck in overtime. Let's take a look. 
[Image: 200.webp?cid=790b761163f88db5f98facfbbe6...d=200.webp]  [Image: 200.webp?cid=790b761163f88db5f98facfbbe6...d=200.webp]
Anaheim's goaltender could not handle the puck as it came in tight resulting in a rebound and an open net for Barbashev. Where ice is limited and scoring chances are scarce, creating screens and rebounds is a must if you're looking to score a high rate of goals in the SMJHL. The high pedigree of goaltenders are not often beat on direct shots with no traffic in front. From a forwards prospective..stick your butt right in that goaltenders nose and stand there. Limiting the goalies vision will result in many more shots finding their way through to the twine; especially with the two goaltenders we saw this evening. We'll be watching these two in the playoffs to see what types of scoring chances are able to beat these tendys.

[Image: takethehorizon.gif]
[Image: IdMkYiH.png]

[Image: NIYtQkE.png] [Image: NjFSX1z.png]