Create Account

PGS S51: Game 91 Lethbridge vs Anaheim

[Image: SMJHL-Lions.png] VS [Image: Outlaws2.png]
December 7, 2019 - Outlaw Saloon Arena, Anaheim, CA

Final Score: 3-1 (Anaheim)

SIM LINK

[S]:  And welcome again everyone to the Golden Horseshoe post game report.  I'm your host, Sip Nightly and with me as always is statistics freak Allen Wench.  What a game we had here tonight for all of you between the Lethbridge Lions and the Anaheim Outlaws right here at The Saloon in sunny Anaheim, California.

[A]:  I'll tell you, it is never a dull moment when these conference rivals hit the ice together, regardless of where its at.  Throughout the season so far Anaheim has been on top of Lethbridge two games to one despite Lethbridge outscoring them 8-6.  Tonight though, evened things up scoring wise as both teams have scored 9 points on each other this season...however with the win tonight Anaheim has jumped to a large lead in this rivalry going up 3-1 on Lethbridge in the conference.

[S]:  Lets take a look back now at how this game unfolded.

1st Period

[A]:  Anaheim came out swinging off a John Forfeit goal halfway through the first period, his third on the season.  Lethbridge came answering right back at the 17:30 mark thanks to a powerplay goal to tie things up.

[S]:  Yeah the fight that lead to that powerplay really came out of nowhere.  Earlier in the period there were a few minor hooking and tripping penalties, that were to be expected between these two teams, but man, Anaheim's Jacob Riley must have really had a personal vendetta on the Lions and just decided to take it out on Lethbridge's Jakob Hamr.  The officials definitely made the right call in the subsequent ejection of Riley that took place.  Here's a look back at that fight:

[Image: giphy.gif]
[A]:  Whatever was going on there with Riley, hopefully Outlaw's management will get it sorted out.  That game misconduct definitely hurt them in that followup penalty-kill.

2nd & 3rd Periods

[S]:  Anaheim went right back to work in the second period, hitting the net on a shot from Kevin Robinson, his 7th of the season and sending the Outlaws back up on top 2-1.  Penalties continued in the period though as Lethbridge's Jack Wilson was called for a hooking minor just past the fifteen minute mark, and Anaheim's hot-shot Raquel Castillo Gutierrez for Roughing with ten seconds to go in the period.

[A]:  Fortunately, both team's penalty kill units were on top of things through the end of the period.  Especially Anaheim's since Lethbridge had that man advantage to start the third.

[S]:  Yes indeed Allen.  It would seem in the locker-rooms between the second and third periods had some serious chats among the players because there were absolutely no penalties in the third period.  It was as if they were all sent to the time-out corner or threatened to go to bed early without dinner.  Everyone was on their best behavior.

[A]:  Comedic at best, but not enough for Forefit as he solidified the game for Anaheim early in the third period, notching his 4th goal of the season.

Wrap-Up

[S]:  So there you have it with Anaheim winning over Lethbridge 3-1 and taking a 3-1 lead on them this season.  Anaheim also took the day on shooting, firing the puck 24 times to the Lions' 8.

[A]:  Between the pipes, Lethbridge's Markus Tegernako and Anaheim's Abroop Dhami both ended the day with a .875 save percentage.  Abroop moves on the season to 7-5 with the win while Markus moves to 6-6-2 on the season in the loss.

[S]:  And here are tonights stars of the game!

1. Kevin Robinson  Outlaws (1 Goal, 2 Assist, 3 Points , +/- 3)
  2. John Forfeit  Outlaws (2 Goals, 0 Assist, 2 Points, +/- 3)
  3. Rhys Pritchard  Outlaws (0 Goals, 2 Assist, 2 Points, +/- 3)

[A]:  That wraps it up here tonight on the Golden Horseshoe post-game show.  I'm Allen Wench

[S]:  And I'm Sip Nightly saying goodnight from Anaheim where the Outlaws trump the Lions, 3-1.

Unsung Hero of the Game:
Usually I give the hero of the game to one player, but since it's my award I'm going to cheat and give tonight's unsung hero award to Anaheim's top defensive pairing Ursin Zimmerman and Nicholas Owens each played over 21 minutes of hockey tonight. They were paired against the top scorers on Lethbridge and were a big reason why Dhami only faced 8 shots on goal this evening. Owens and Zimmerman were a combined +5 including a hit and a blocked shot. Zimmerman had two assists on the night including the primary on the go ahead goal for the Outlaws in the 2nd period.

Turning point of the game:
I don't know how you can overlook the second period of this game. After a grind-it-out 1st period where each team netted a goal and the outlaws were outshot 5-3, Anaheim was absolutely dominate coming out of the first intermission. They spend most of the period in their own offensive end and didn't surrender a single shot on goal while getting nine of their own. Even though they only scored the one goal in the period, it felt like the ice was completely tilted and Lethbridge had to work to keep the game close. Even into the third, Lethbridge looked like a defeated team and there was little doubt that Anaheim was going to shut the door for the rest of the night.

Difference Maker of the game:
Sticking with the defensive theme, I'm going to name Anaheim's penalty kill the difference maker in this one. The first period was chippy in this one and Anaheim killing an early penalty gave their team the momentum that it needed to open the scoring at 10:28. Even though the 2nd unit let one in on the 2nd Lethbridge power play, the unit looked on top of their game tonight, clogging passing lanes and being in good position to suppress offense. In fact, they didn't even allow a shot on goal on their final power play at the end of the 2nd and beginning of the 3rd, although one shot did hit the post. It was the play of the PK on that early 3rd kill that continued the tone set in the 2nd by Anaheim.

[Image: notoriousTRON.gif]
Sig Cred: Carpy, ML, RainDelay, Donini & Geekusoid
[Image: gs89eGV.png]

3 Stars
[Image: UmYFwGB.png]

[Image: pb_olli.gif]

Profile | Updates

[Image: vtXGfpR.png]

[Image: N2ANQtw.png]

Top 3 underrated players of the game

1. Abroop Dhami for Anaheim is going to get 1st for me this time. And I know some people don't want to reward a goalie with 7 saves on 8 shots but that's incredible with how easy it is to get bored back there as your team dominates.

2. Ursin Zimmerman for Anaheim comes in at number 2. With very similar stats to his teammate in Pritchard who got the 3rd star it's a shame he wasn't on the list too. 2 assists, 1 shot blocked and over 2 minutes on the penalty kill to help his team shut down Letherbridge.

3. Jacob Riley is going to make my list for playing some old school hockey. All of 5 minutes played before he starts a fight and gets ejected with 17 PIMS

Top 3 overrated players of the game

1. Jakob Hamr is one of many Lions on this list after their beat down. Got himself in a fight with Riley that did nothing for his team like is did the other. Went -1 and basically did nothing else but be a pylon.

2. Delver Fudgeson also of the Lions should have done much better with over 22 minutes of ice time but he also went -2, only had 1 shot, 1 hit and did all of this with almost 3 minutes of power play time.

3. Disisde Dayudie much like his Lion teammate Fudgeson ends up right here. Almost 22 minutes of ice time, the same power play time as above, and a -2 as well. The only reason he gets 3rd is because he had 2 shots blocked and a little more penalty kill time.

[Image: thedangazone.gif]