Create Account

My Thoughts on All This Shit
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2020, 05:09 PM by BDonini.)

I'd like to preface this post by saying that this isn't meant to come as an attack to Hamilton and I hope it doesn't become an attack thread. I've had lots of thoughts on this whole Hamilton shit since the beginning and now that it's heating up again I figured why not lay out all my thoughts and even get some cash for it. None of this is really planned, I'm kinda just gonna write what I think and do my best to break it down into sections to make it easy to follow.

First thing I wanna talk about is the 'morality' of the whole thing since it's the most relevant part with Hamilton a game away from winning the Cup. Throughout the whole thing they've maintained that they haven't done anything wrong and that the sim is to blame. Technically it's true, they didn't break any rules and everything they did was by the book. They test simmed until they found something that worked really well and implemented it. Here's my issue with that. Sure it was by the book, sure they just wanted to win and sure the garbage engine should take some of the blame but to me the whole thing was done in bad faith. We are all here to play fake hockey but the goal in the end is to try as much as possible to emulate real hockey is it not? To me if you're starting to test sim with shit that makes absolutely no sense at all in real hockey you're starting to tread a very thin line. This isn't some superior strategy, it's an exploit plain and simple. Hockey is not intended to be played with a team full of players who can only shoot, puck handle and defend. I highly doubt a hockey simulator was made with the idea that a team full of said players should be able to bulldoze through the league. It's a glitch in a badly developed game that Hamilton's management uncovered and abused. That to me is the most frustrating part because sure, SimonT has a 'meta' that many users have followed for a long time now but nobody's ever really gone to the point of having a team composition that is counter intuitive in the sport of hockey. Steelhawks, I get that you want to defend your team and your management but surely you can agree that I haven't said anything unreasonable in this paragraph? It's not a strategy, it's an exploit and to go that far has to have a certain amount of acting in bad faith and for someone on the outside, it is frustrating.

I think a lot of people feel that way and that's why we may have seen a lot frustration being taken out on Hamilton in the past season. In reality we don't know how much of a role most of the players on the team played in this. I don't think any of the regular players maliciously thought "let's go out and almost destroy the league with a glitch" but I am curious to know if anyone at any point through the months long process kinda stopped to think of the consequences of what killing off virtually every build except one would do to the league. At first I was really frustrated, I took a lot of that out on the team as a whole, I think a lot of people did that too which may have fuelled the original defensive attitude that most Steelhawks players took to the whole situation. For me early on that was one of the most frustrating parts, that most of them couldn't take a second to see why this would be frustrating to outsiders and they just kept riding with the "we didn't break any rules, it's just a strategy to win more" attitude. I ended up having a private conversation about the whole thing with Tig right after the first fallout and without revealing details of it, I think both of us took the time to hear each other and have a productive conversation about why it sucked for non Steelhawks to have a couple ruined seasons and about why it sucked for most Steelhawks players to have this huge target on their backs. I've gotten closer with Tig and a few other Steelhawks through the SMJHL (since so fucking many of them are SMJHL HO or GMs lmao) and I've realized that the whole attack all of Hamilton at all costs thing is stupid. Hamilton has a lot of great people...there's Teddy who's one of the biggest parts of the whole FHM switch and then there's guys like Tig, Nour, Golden, Dmills and SS who I've gotten to know since this J GM group is pretty close and I get now that without knowing what everyone's involvement is, it's stupid to direct my anger at all of them as a whole. While I've still lost some respect for their GMs and coach and Narconis who's barely active except apparently to tell everyone about how legitimate this Cup is and how salty they are that literally two entire seasons are being thrown away, I do regret attacking the whole team early on (except the memes, memes are fun).

Finally, I think a lot of the Hamilton hate over the last couple days has gotten excessive. I understand everyone's angry, I'm angry too. It feels like a team is being rewarded for something they didn't earn fairly but there's no reason to go back to the same pointless attacks that had everyone on edge last off season. There's a r/hockey recruitment coming 3 days and that shit is such a turnoff, don't let petty frustration contribute to turning potential new members away from the league. Things like threads about renaming the league to the Simulation Hamilton League aren't funny or entertaining, they're petty and unproductive and nothing good comes out of them for anybody. I guess this is sort of a plea to tone down the attacks so that we can focus on keeping the league attractive to new members and move forward with FHM with what will hopefully be a healthy league and healthy environment in a couple months. It is what it is, this shit happened and the best way to move forward now is for the general public to stop the unproductive attacks and for Hamilton to stop trying to act like innocent victims. We have to move on and move forward at this point.

That's it really. Not sure how much of this makes sense, I probably rambled on a little more than I would've liked. Not sure if anyone cares about what I think of this but if this post does get replies can we please keep it at productive dialogue and nothing else?

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

post screenshot

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

01-10-2020, 04:43 PMTnlAstatine Wrote: post screenshot
Yes I have no idea what this is

[Image: 8PlNwDd.png]

please no one post that shit on here, donini explained the take away from it and leave it at that. Like fuck

01-10-2020, 04:52 PMgolden_apricot Wrote:

please no one post that shit on here, donini explained the take away from it and leave it at that. Like fuck

shitpost?

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

Screenshot has been shared a million times, ask your team on discord if you must see it. I think it was a decent explanation of the point of it. Thanks for your feedback and insight @BDonini

[Image: sfOMki5.png]

Well said donini!

[Image: xVW1vec.png]

[Image: OgNASDg.png] |  | [Image: JvdaXOj.png]
[Image: lUeg4KM.png]

Great write up Donini, hearing all sides of the story is important and just because Hamilton has been the target of some excessive flaming lately doesn’t make the gripes, concerns or frustrations of the league invalid or moot.

I’d write up my side of the story if I didn’t have to head to work soon but again thwnk you for posting this, and writing it in a concise, well-thought out and non-inflammatory way. Here’s to making the best of the future, and moving into S52 strongly as a group

[Image: bjobin2.png]
[Image: 9tINabI.png][Image: c97iD9R.png]

**First GM in SMJHL history to win 3 Four Star Cups back-to-back-to-back**

01-10-2020, 04:52 PMgolden_apricot Wrote:

gonna take that part out bc it’ll probably defeat the purpose of the post

01-10-2020, 05:09 PMBDonini Wrote:
01-10-2020, 04:52 PMgolden_apricot Wrote: please no one post that shit on here, donini explained the take away from it and leave it at that. Like fuck

gonna take that part out bc it’ll probably defeat the purpose of the post

fair enough. many have seen it already and share a similar perspective to you.

01-10-2020, 05:11 PMgolden_apricot Wrote:
01-10-2020, 05:09 PMBDonini Wrote: gonna take that part out bc it’ll probably defeat the purpose of the post

fair enough. many have seen it already and share a similar perspective to you.

just don’t want it to become the main takeaway bc it’ll make things worse and with reddit 3 days away we need this to get better quickly

01-10-2020, 05:19 PMBDonini Wrote:
01-10-2020, 05:11 PMgolden_apricot Wrote: fair enough. many have seen it already and share a similar perspective to you.

just don’t want it to become the main takeaway bc it’ll make things worse and with reddit 3 days away we need this to get better quickly

Agreed. If i see it here i will delete it
(This post was last modified: 01-10-2020, 05:29 PM by notorioustig.)

This is an incredibly level-headed post given what's been flying around so thank you Donini. We did have a really productive conversation about it and I'm fully willing to talk with anyone else who would like a similar dialogue to understand our side of things, just hit me up. Perspective can help smooth over tension and fuck knows there's a lot of tension. Perspective goes both ways in this case too, we understand that people are upset and this isn't me saying "just hear us out," I'm willing to earnestly listen to what anyone has to say about us and what they are thinking provided we're given the same. If you want to slide into my DMs and yell at me for a bit then do so if that's what you need. Let's actually have a productive discourse about it as a community and move on whatever your thoughts and emotional responses are. When everyone starts flinging shit we just become a bunch of monkeys. I think all of us are ready to get back to normal and that starts with a general understanding to move forward together.

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

tl;dr eat poopoo you stupid metal birds

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

01-10-2020, 05:26 PMWannabeFinn Wrote: tl;dr eat poopoo you stupid metal birds

Love you too

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]