Create Account

Rhys Pritchard Draft Profile (Draft Week x2 Bonus - 1272 Words)
(This post was last modified: 01-16-2020, 03:42 AM by notoriousTRON.)

Ready for grading

It’s midafternoon in Fullerton, California and I’m sitting in a 2-bedroom apartment on the third floor. The coffee table, which like the rest of the furniture in this early 20’s bachelor pad is undoubtably from Ikea, has a ring from lack of coaster adherence. My host, Rhys Pritchard, is one of the top prospects in the upcoming SHL draft. He asks how I take my tea but I defer to his expertise. A cube of sugar and a dash of cream is what he prepares for the two of us. The lack of good tea, he says, was among the first things the young star had to adjust to in the United States. “Everyone is obsessed with coffee here. I can’t find a good place to take my tea.” His roommate, teammate and fellow rookie Strom Chamberlain, has been taking Rhys to local hip coffee houses. “Yeah, like everything you yanks eat, your coffee is too sweet.” I offer to let him in on some of my favorites, but he declines as he slides back into his chair, “don’t bother, Strom has already taken me all over town, I’ll stick with tea”

One year after moving to the US from Cardiff, UK to play Junior hockey in the SMJHL, Rhys is being viewed around the league as a top 5 SHL pick. “It’s shocking. Coming from a non-traditional hockey country and not having access to the facilities that some of my peers have access to puts you at a disadvantage, but I just keep my head down and do my job. I guess people are starting to take notice,” Rhys says as he begins to sip on his earl grey. It a testament to his work ethic, Rhys is often the first to hit the ice and the last to leave and the results are translating to the games. After a late season push, Pritchard led all rookies in points with 32. That total ranked 4th on his junior team, the Anaheim Outlaws, where Rhys manned the 2nd line right wing position for the majority of the season. Heading into S52, Pritchard is focused more on his team’s play than his own numbers. “It’s a team game” says Pritchard as his eyes wader to a window overlooking a park, situated directly next to a Costco, “I’m fortunate to play with some great teammates and on a great line. My numbers are a product of that. Earning my team’s trust and helping to push us to a Four Star Cup is going to be focus for next year and frankly, it can’t get here soon enough.”

S51 was a bit of a letdown for the Outlaws, who lost in round 2 to the eventual four star cup champions, the Anchorage Armada, but Rhys isn’t worried about the team’s direction. “Leadership is committed to winning and S52 represents, I think, our best chance to do just that.” Indeed, the Outlaws will reportedly return most of their core players, including Ivan Maximus, Ursin Zimmerman, and Alex Petrenko in addition to Pritchard and Chamberlain, who himself, had quite a productive rookie season in goal for the Outlaws. Asked about his roommate and friend, Rhys was complimentary “Strom is a competitor. He’s the kind of guy you love to play in front of because he’s going to pick you up when you make a mistake. He’s super athletic and can make the tough saves. And when he does let one in he bounces right back. He’s as tough as they come and he’s going to be a steal for whoever ends up picking him this summer.” He adds, however, “But if he asks, tell him I said he was rubbish. Can’t have that stuff going to his head. He’s hard enough to deal with as is.” Pritchard and Chamberlain aren’t the only young outlaws returning. Centers C.T. Charrgher and Grant Thurber also just finished strong rookie campaigns for the Outlaws who tied for 7th in the league with the Colorado Raptors. “We’re in a strong position. With the veteran leadership returning. I honestly think that we’re the favorites to win the Four Star Cup this season,” Pritchard declares confidently.

With the draft still over a week away, I ask Rhys what has been occupying his time in this lead up to the draft. “Getting to know California life. It’s so different here than back home. The weather is amazing all the time. I’ve tried to pick up surfing, but I’m rubbish at that. I’ll have to find some other way to be a California boy,” he says with a grin. It’s not all fun and games for Pritchard, who can be found on the ice nearly every day. “It’s about staying sharp and getting ready for next season, but I also just missing playing. I don’t really golf, but Strom is trying to teach me. The offseason is so boring.” Boring, maybe, but Rhys will soon be joined by some familiar faces from back home. “My mum and brother are flying in later this week. We’ve been planning this trip since I came [to Anaheim]. They’ve never been to the states. I can’t wait to show them around. They’re going to keep my mind occupied before the draft,” he said, fidgeting with his tea cup. Pritchard plans on watching the draft from his couch, a departure from how he handled the SMJHL draft, when he was eventually picked in the 2nd round, 17th overall. “Yeah, the last go around I just couldn’t watch it. I was keeping up on my phone but I was too nervous. I’ll still be nervous this go around but knowing that I’ll still be playing my hockey in Anaheim next year has softened the impact of the draft for me,” says Rhys adding, “It’s still a huge deal, obviously, finding out which team I’ll be playing for, but it really won’t change much for me in the short term.”

Asked if he has preferences on where he’s like to end up, Rhys says he’s open to options. “As long as they’re committed to winning, it doesn’t matter a lick to me. I want to win championships. I haven’t talked to a GM yet that doesn’t share my mindset.” Knowing that as a potential lottery pick, he’ll likely be going to a team that’s in the midst of rebuilding doesn’t sway him either. “It’s part of the game, you have to start somewhere. It’s exciting to be a part of building something,” Pritchard says. When I mention that his former GM is now at the helm in Minnesota, who hold the second pick in the upcoming draft, I finally get him to show his hand a bit. “Well I have a good relationship with @”SpartainGibbles” and I believe in what he’s doing in Minnesota,” he says, “I’d have to admit it would be nice to have the familiarity and rapport already established. But honestly, I am just happy to be given a chance to live my dream of playing SHL hockey.” With his tea cup drained and his ice time in half an hour, Rhys begins to hint about the end of the interview. “How did you like your tea?” he asks. “Not sweet enough, eh?” he cuts in with a laugh before I can reply.

[Image: notoriousTRON.gif]
Sig Cred: Carpy, ML, RainDelay, Donini & Geekusoid
[Image: gs89eGV.png]
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2020, 08:22 PM by Grum.)

Great article! Good luck in the draft Smile

Eyyyyy roomie