Create Account

Goodbye Buffalo

The Players Tribune
Goodbye Buffalo
By Eric Vanderberg

You ever wake up and just know its gonna be one of those life changing days?

You're laying in bed, the sun is just peeking through the curtains and you just know your life is about to change.

That was me this morning when my GM called and asked me if I was in town and able to come in and see him. I had re-signed in Buffalo last season, so it wasn't contract related and trade was definitely not in my mind when I walked into the GM's office. Finn's got a great office, plenty of pictures of his dog and a few pictures of frogs. Its definitely one of the cooler offices I've ever been in. We small talked for a few until he gave me the news.

"We've decided to move you to Winnipeg".

You know when you look at a friend and they just have that look of "Man, I don't wanna do this or say this". That was Finn, He's a great GM because he cares, all of the Stampede Org does. He didn't BS me, he just gave me the hard facts. Buffalo is blessed defensively, when they drafted me they had hoped to make moves to move new people up. But, sometimes things don't work out and because of my loyalty they were not willing to keep stashing me in the box.

The move was made to let me be the player that Buffalo and certainly Winnipeg though I could be. I'll always be grateful for that.

But how do you put into words just how much you are going to miss a franchise that took a chance on you late in the 2nd round?

I wasn't a plug for Colorado but I held my own throughout my three seasons in the J. I wasn't nor will I ever be a Cass Darrow (Love you mate), but I like to think I brought something to the table every night. The veterans like Monkey who mentored me, gave me guidance and made me better. Coaches and staff who made practices fun even when they weren't supposed to be fun. Even arena staff whose day you know you made just by remembering their name and asking about their families and they about yours. It is incredibly easy to see why veterans flock to Buffalo and why they continue to be successful year in and year out.

Because they care.

Right after my last season in the J, Finn called me up for the playoffs. There was no chance I was going in to any game, but there I am on the bench in a Stampede jersey throughout the playoffs. First time I sat there, knees shaking, this is it, this is the show. I am watching these big name guys play the game I've trained for my entire life. Then when we won the Challenge Cup, you're damn right I went out there and touched it. Held it high, kissed it, skated with it just like I imagined when I played hockey as a kid.

Buffalo gave me that magic moment and many others and I will forever be grateful.

Next season I'm going to be lining up against my friends in a Jets jersey, that's gonna be different. When I walk into the Arena in Buffalo, my heart is gonna pull me toward the home locker room. That much I can already guarantee. The guys are gonna give me a little hell, but why not, they are always gonna be my brothers. They've earned it. Just know that I am going to give you my all, just as you did for me.

Goodbye Buffalo and thank you for 3 amazing seasons

-Vandy

<3

VANDY!!!!

Platoon Elk Elk Platoon
Argonauts Argonauts
PlatoonGermanyRaptors

[Image: AH23zKq.png]
Thank you karey, OrbitingDeath Ragnar, and sköldpaddor for sigs! 
[Image: BAL_Player_Page.png] [Image: BAL_Update.png]

gonna miss u man

Goodbye Vandy, best of luck

[Image: giphy.gif]

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

Good luck vandy!

[Image: capybar22_600.png]

Vandy :(

[Image: fishyshl.gif]
Thanks to everybody for the sigs :peepoheart:

[Image: czechpp.png][Image: czechup.png]

<3

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
[Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page