Create Account

An Early Look At The S51 Jeff Dar Trophy Race

Code:
Ready to grade, 1,032 words.

Welcome to Fever’s early look at potential candidates for the Season 51 Jeff Dar Trophy! The Jeff Dar Trophy is awarded annually to the SHL forward who demonstrates the best two-way game in the league. To determine potential candidates, I will take into account players point totals as well as their ability to deliver hits and block shots as well as their plus/minus rating (to a lesser extent). Let’s get right into it and take a look at the first set of candidates who I believe could bring home the Jeff Dar Trophy when the awards ceremony is held!

The Usual Suspects:

Mike Izzy - Calgary Dragons
Mike Izzy likely will not be a finalist for the Jeff Dar Trophy, let alone win it, due to the fact that his offensive game was not there in Season 51. Izzy scored 14 goals and 23 assists for 37 points on the season, 63rd in the SHL as far as point scoring goes. He did bring a great physical game, delivering 227 body checks, good for second in the league and 18 shot blocks with a -5 plus/minus rating. He posted these numbers with north of 23 minutes of ice time per game.

Viktor Marius - Buffalo Stampede
Viktor Marius was the Season 46 winner of the Jeff Dar Trophy but Season 51 was not a great campaign for him in terms of offensive production. Marius scored 16 goals and 21 assists to match Izzy’s 37 points and came up just shy of Izzy with 223 body checks on the season. He also blocked 12 shots with a +3 plus/minus rating and just over 22 minutes of ice time per game. Much like Izzy, I believe Marius does not have the stat line to take home the Dar or be named a finalist for the trophy.

Manuel Gotze - New England Wolfpack
Manuel Gotze fared a little bit better than Izzy and Marius in terms of offensive production in Season 51, but I still do not believe that he has the numbers to be named a finalist for the Dar Trophy when it’s all said and done. Gotze scored 16 goals and 25 assists for 41 points (43rd in league scoring). He added 222 body checks and 19 shot blocks with an even plus/minus rating on the season while averaging more than 24 minutes of ice time per game.

Andreas Kvalheim - Texas Renegades
Andreas Kvalheim is just a season removed from winning the Jeff Dar Trophy in Season 50 and he could be in the conversation again for Season 51, but to me it is unlikely that he will be the winner of the award. Kvalheim finished the season with 22 goals and 25 assists for 47 points 23rd in league scoring). He notched 218 body checks with 12 shot blocks, a +3 plus/minus rating and just over 24 minutes of ice time per night.

Cameron Carter II - Chicago Syndicate
Cameron Carter II has yet to win himself a Jeff Dar Trophy but Season 51 was a great one for him and I fully expect to see him as a finalist. Carter II scored 27 goals and 24 assists for 51 points on the season, which was good for 15th in SHL scoring. He also led the league in body checks with 243 and added 16 shot blocks with a +22 plus/minus rating, all the while, playing 23+ minutes of hockey per game.

The Dark Horses/Newcoming Contenders:

Noah Gallagher - Minnesota Chiefs
Noah Gallagher did set career highs in nearly every statistical category in Season 51 but it was not good enough to get him consideration on the finalist ballot for the Jeff Dar Trophy. Gallagher scored 13 goals and 19 assists for 32 points (not even top 75 in the SHL) on the season with 210 body checks. He added 11 shot blocks, a -3 plus/minus rating and over 20 minutes of ice time per game. Give him another season or two under his belt before he really starts competing for the Dar.

Nicky Pedersen Jr. - Calgary Dragons
Nicky Pedersen Jr. put up some good offensive numbers for the Calgary Dragons, finishing 34th in SHL scoring with 18 goals and 25 assists for 43 points. Pedersen Jr. was not all that physical compared to other candidates, notching 184 body checks with 16 blocked shots, a +9 plus/minus rating and nearly 21 minutes of ice time per game. He is not there yet to be considered a finalist for the Jeff Dar Trophy.

Tony Pepperoni - Edmonton Blizzard
Tony Pepperoni had himself a season in Season 51, didn’t he?! Pepperoni led the entire SHL in scoring with 25 goals and 41 assists for 66 points, playing just over 22 minutes a night. He also recorded 184 body checks, maybe not as physical as some other candidates and added 10 shot blocks with a +23 plus/minus rating. In my mind, he has a real shot at winning the Jeff Dar Trophy when all the smoke has cleared and all the dust has settled.

Borromini Cannellini - Los Angeles Panthers
Borromini Cannellini finished Season 51 with one point less than Noah Gallagher, scoring just 9 times with 22 assists for 31 points and because of that, I think this puts him out of contention for the Jeff Dar Trophy. He delivered 205 body checks on the season with 14 blocked shots, a +8 plus/minus rating and nearly 22 minutes of ice time per game.

Flacko Lagerfield - Tampa Bay Barracuda
Flacko Lagerfield put up a decent offensive campaign for Season 51, scoring 22 goals and 23 assists for 45 points. Lagerfield put up 190 body checks through the course of the season with 10 shot blocks, a -3 plus/minus rating and just shy of 23 minutes on the ice on a nightly basis. He had a good season but is on the outside looking in for me when I like at Jeff Dar Trophy candidates.

At the end of the day, I think the final three candidates on the finalist ballot will be Andreas Kvalheim, Cameron Carter II and Tony Pepperoni with Pepperoni taking home the award. I hope you enjoyed the read!

[Image: fever95.gif]
[Image: LpkqUbe.gif]

PREVIOUS PLAYER STATISTICS

snubbed

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

01-14-2020, 01:18 PMTnlAstatine Wrote: snubbed
38 hits haha.

rip cuddles

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM

01-14-2020, 02:23 PMfever95 Wrote:
01-14-2020, 01:18 PMTnlAstatine Wrote: snubbed
38 hits haha.

Ninja

[Image: x17WALp.png]||[Image: uNh8ZtE.png]
[Image: luff.png][Image: luff2.png][Image: luff.png]

>Usual Suspect
>No one ever votes for CC2

Checks out

[Image: tuxpi-com-1618108119.jpg]

01-14-2020, 07:58 PMBoomcheck Wrote: >Usual Suspect

Checks out
you have been a top contender for the Dar in my opinion for many seasons now but I’m not on the awards committee haha.

01-15-2020, 01:32 AMfever95 Wrote:
01-14-2020, 07:58 PMBoomcheck Wrote: >Usual Suspect

Checks out
you have been a top contender for the Dar in my opinion for many seasons now but I’m not on the awards committee haha.

I went as far as I could in indexes. CC2 first player in league to lead in hits and shots. He did it the same season. Wonder how the awards committee will keep me down this time.

[Image: tuxpi-com-1618108119.jpg]