Create Account

Tips for Being Successful SHL

Hello future SHL players. I was just thinking about things and topics I wanted to write about and this came to my mind and I really want you guys to have as much fun as you can on this beautiful website I’ve been a part of for almost 10 years now, just amazing. I’ll start with a little bit about me and why I am writing this.

My name is Megan also known as meg, megster, megster443, or Jakub. I’ve been part of the SHL community since November 12, 2010. In that time I have seen many things happen. I’ve seen 2 forum switches, I’m about to see a sim switched, I got banned for a couple years, and I’ve gone from a Sophomore in high school to a 25 year old. In this time I’ve learned a lot of things obviously, but what I’ve learned about SHL is, it can only be what you make it. What drove me to write this article was a combination of things people have said to me under the assumption I was a rookie and also experiences I know to be true on this website. So I am going to give you rookies some tips on how to make the SHL work the best for you.

• Tip 1 is make money in the way that works best for you. Okay that seems obvious, but I heard someone I’ve known for almost 3 years now on SHL say something to a rookie member I don’t believe is true this morning and it was part of what drove me to make this article. For those of you who don’t know yet, you make the bulk of your TPE in this league by doing weekly training and activity checks. You make TPE through point tasks too, but most of your TPE will come from week in week out adding those points. There is only one way to buy weekly training and that is with that good good SHL monies. The 3 big and easiest ways to earn money are contracts, media, and graphics.

This is what I really want to say. Some people would lead you to believe that taking a smaller contract is better for the team, but contracts in SHL are not contracts in real life. In the SHL it is mutually beneficial for your team to give you money if you can’t make it in media because that is how your player gets better. I’m not saying demand loads of money. I’m saying be honest with yourself. Can you do media or graphics often? How much do you write or how long does it take you to do a graphic? Do you think you will make enough money to support yourself based on those things?

SMJHL Contracts will likely be sent out in the next couple days after the draft. I will tell you now, you will not make a ton of money in the SMJHL especially since there is a cap and this draft is so big they have to give you all a contract. I will also tell you that SMJHL HO gives each team a $1 mil towards each rookie contract. So I’d assume you shouldn’t be offered less than $2 million for these contracts tomorrow. For those of you who haven’t bought a training yet, the top training when you are at the SMJHL level is $500k for 3 TPE once a week. That means that will last you four weeks. I think seasons usually run about 8-9 weeks. This is much more relevant when you get to the SHL, where contracts can be much larger. If a GM asks what you want for a contract, answer honestly what you think you need combined with your media and graphics to get through the season. If the GM decides that is too much, tell them why you said the number you did. People would usually rather have you be honest about that.

• Tip number 2 is this is a freaking game and don’t you forget it. People can sometimes take the SHL so seriously that it causes them to burn out or take things that happen in a game personally and really to heart and it makes them go inactive. The SHL isn’t for everyone, obviously, but what has helped so much the last couple of years in this league is remembering this is a game. This is only for fun and I will only do things in the league that further support my ability to have fun. In 2017 when I rejoined the SHL with this account I was eager to prove myself as a valuable member after a I would guess about 3 year gap since I had last looked at the site. I took on job after job and ended up an SMJHL Commissioner after like a month and held the role for about a year after. It was too much for me personally especially because a lot of the Commissioners at that time weren’t as active as they should have been. It burned me out and I could not continue to be active with my player because it felt like a chore to log in. A game should never feel like a chore in my opinion.
• Tip number 3 is get engaged. Not like to a person, but with the league. The more you make friends on this league the more fun it is and the more you want to keep coming back. I was inactive between February and November of 2019 because I was just tired of the SHL, I got really burnt out and I just could not keep pushing. I was also going through a bunch of shit in real life so I had to take a break. You know what made me decide to come back? The 83 discord notifications I got over that time, that majority of which were just people pinging me asking me to come back or saying they missed me. The SHL can really be so much fun when you find the right people and I knew that so I came back. That said the best ways I’ve found to make friends on the SHL is just talking and also getting involved. Doing jobs for the league can be really fun as long as you don’t take on too many at the same time. It’s worth it to apply for some jobs to try and become more engaged. The job market here can sometimes be a little competitive so put effort into your apps and keep applying even when you don’t think you’ll get something because people will remember that.

I think these are all the tips I have for right now. I’m not sure if this will be helpful to anybody or not but I wanted to write something that didn’t involve flipping through the site because the draft is starting right this moment and I bet you all are about to F5 the hell out of this site and make it freak out and not work lol. Oh that is tip 4, WATCH THE STREAM DON’T F5!!!! Thank you for reading and y'all better give me double media for this because it is directed at draftees lol.

Need a sig :-/

Well said!

you can also sell coke to make money no?

[Image: cleanandrei.png]

i have

[Image: cleanandrei.png]

Great advice! Also coming from a too old user who always comes and goes, use the double pay articles and fantasy drafts, even 1500 words and a fantasy team will bag you 4M, and with an SHL contract of 3-5M you have enough for a full season of training without investing too much time and then complete the progression as you would, just a little extra advice to add!

[Image: WtrC9qy.png]

FalconsJapanpride

01-18-2020, 01:51 PMdrodger91 Wrote: Great advice! Also coming from a too old user who always comes and goes, use the double pay articles and fantasy drafts, even 1500 words and a fantasy team will bag you 4M, and with an SHL contract of 3-5M you have enough for a full season of training without investing too much time and then complete the progression as you would, just a little extra advice to add!
This, that is a very good one I usually only write for double media lol

Need a sig :-/