Create Account

Falcons Soar High with Liljeström - Post Draft Coverage by Superprospects
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2020, 03:32 AM by roastpuff.)

Liljeström takes the SMJHL by Storm
Detroit Falcons scoops massive draft haul
by Jan Parker Peters
For Superprospects

906 words - 2x draft media - Ready for grading

"Herre gud! [Oh my God]" - that was the first words uttered out of second overall pick Magnus Liljeström when the Detroit Falcons announced that with their first-round pick - the second pick of the entirety of the draft - they would select the Ornskoldsvik native. There had been increased interest in the rookie defenceman as the draft neared, but most mock draft boards had Liljeström in the high single-digit or low-double digit positions, with several more experienced and well-known players ahead of him. Some names that Liljeström jumped over included highly touted forwards Danny White, Axel Meszaros, Rocco Berni and Hiroshi Ohira, all sure-fire talents that could bolster any team's Four Star Cup aspirations.

"Unbelievable! Never in my wildest dreams would I think that I would be drafted this high at the SMJHL Draft!" exclaimed the young two-way defenceman. "Maybe in the late first, early second at the very highest - not this high, never! I was so surprised to see my name up there on the draft board, and walking down was like floating... I felt like my face was going to split open because of how wide I was smiling!

"To also have so many of the players that I bonded with during the prospect tournament on my team is amazing as well, and I look forward to being on the team with them! I can't wait until pre-season starts and we can practice together. Right now, I am going to be taking part in the World Junior Championships as part of the new recruits for Team Sweden, and I hope that when Team British Isles releases their rosters they will have picked Eddie [Edward Williams] and Freddie [Frederick Wanesly] as well!"

Detroit went for a bold strategy in top-loading their draft picks, with 8 picks in the first five rounds of the draft. The boldest strategy might have been to pick two skaters from Great Britain back to back with the first and second pick of the second round - Edward Williams and Frederick Wanesly. Superprospects had a chance to catch up with them after they were picked, and asked them how it felt to be going to Detroit - a team filled with young players and on the upswing of a rebuild. Usually contenders for the Four Star Cup, the past few seasons of being eliminated early in the play-offs has the team hungry for a deep postseason run.

Wanesly, the self-assured young man, went first: "Being from England, I have only heard rumors of how bad Detroit can be. Well let me tell you, Detroit's not gonna know what hit 'em when this bad boy rolls into town. This is the best day of my life, being picked by Detroit. I can't wait to get on the ice with these chaps."

Williams mulled over his words for a few moments before replying: "The first word I’d have to use is shock. Number eleven overall? I was stunned. I felt just an immense surge of gratitude towards Detroit. to be at a team like the Falcons with so many other talented recruits is a dream come true."

"Can I borrow Edward's quote?" asked Wanesly, after hearing the response of the more thoughtful half of the duo. I told him that he could.

Reid Sutherland, a playmaking forward out of the United States, was drafted 24th overall by the Falcons, and was grinning ear to ear when we caught up with him.

"Everyone dreams of going to a world class organization like Detroit. I’m excited to get to work with my new teammates," said Sutherland.

Post-draft, we caught up with Tiggie Smalls, the General Manager of the Detroit Falcons, who was rubbing his hands in glee (most likely at the talent that his draft choices had provided him).

“We could not be happier with how our draft worked out,” explained Smalls. “We got 3 of our top 4 draft targets at 2nd, 11th, and 12th overall and followed it up with snagging some more of our favourite prospects in the entire draft the rest of the way. In all, the addition of 10 energetic and talented rookies will mark a huge moment in this franchise's storied history and along with our existing veterans, hopefully propel us to a Four Star Cup in the coming seasons.”

“I think it’s an absolute home run. Couldn’t be more excited to see this group develop and grow into amazing players for the Falcons.”

The Detroit Falcons also drafted the following players with their picks:

22nd - Burlok Sulfurgold, power forward RW
30th - Zoltan Topalo, two-way LW
32nd - A Jobin, butterfly G
42nd - Toki Wartooth, defensive D
62nd - Jordan Biffis, power forward LW
72nd - Paddy Kane-Reilly II, offensive RW

Of note for the Swedish readers, is that Liljeström is the highest Swedish player taken in the S52 SMJHL Draft by an amazing 25 spots - the next highest Swedish pick is Yompy Stearf, another defenceman who Liljeström will be playing with in the IIHF World Junior Championship team in a scant week.

This concludes our draft coverage for the S52 SMJHL Draft, but do not fear - Superprospects will return shortly with coverage of the IIHF World Junior Championships, including previews for each nation’s roster and their projected lines. We have a few predictions already, stay tuned to find out what they are and how accurate we’ll be!

[Image: hgcI1ti.png]

Falcons

[Image: crtigger.gif]
[Image: murphy.png]

SKREEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

Great post! I'm loving this team so far!

[Image: Fred.png]
[Image: PeZ8eh1.png] [Image: r2pSvNf.png]