Create Account

Player Profile and Exclusive Interview: Vince Chalut
(This post was last modified: 01-19-2020, 09:37 PM by Chaxterium.)

Chaz McGillicuddy – Assistant to the Regional Editor – Morningstar News

This was an important draft for the Newfoundland Berserkers. They knew that offence from the defence is a major factor in success. This is why, with their 6th pick (50th overall) the Newfoundland Berserkers chose the enigmatic Vince Chalut. Coming in at 6'4” and 215lbs with room to grow, Chalut can be an imposing site on the ice. That said, looks can be deceiving. Size and checking are not his game. Chalut's game is speed, skating, and sniping.

When asked for his thoughts on the skilled sniper, Newfoundland Berserkers Head Coach Buttface Kennedy had this to say: “Every team needs speed and skill, and despite being rough around the edges, Chalut definitely brings these traits to the table. He's going to need to work hard but if he puts his mind to it, he definitely has the potential to be an impact on our blueline.”

Chalut was born in Thunder Bay, Canada and grew up in the rough Northern Ontario city of Sudbury. It didn't take him long to make a name for himself and he currently holds 11 different records in the NOJHL.

After the SMJHL Entry Draft I caught up with Chalut in his hometown of Sudbury.

CM:

So Vince. You've been drafted by the Newfoundland Berserkers. How do you feel?”

VC:

When @JNH called me to tell me he had drafted me, I was ecstatic. The Berserkers have a fantastic reputation for developing players so I'm excited to be joining a team with that kind of reputation. I haven't met him, but from what I know Buttface is a players' coach. Most importantly he gives guys a chance out there. I'm not perfect, and I know I'll make mistakes and it's nice to know I'm going to a team that won't give up on me if I have a bad night. And I heard he pulls major chicks so I'm hoping to learn a thing or two”.

CM:

What are your goals for the upcoming season?”

VC:

I definitely need to improve in some areas. Checking has always been a weak spot in my game so I'm going to need to work on that for sure. Bigger picture though I'm hoping to help this team win a championship while at the same time making a case for myself as the SHL Entry Draft nears. I know I've got a lot of improving to do before I'd be able to make any noise at the SHL level but I think the Newfoundland Berserkers is the best place for me to be to improve my game.

CM:

What do you think you'll bring to this team?”

VC:

I try to play a skill game. I like to think I see the ice well and I can get the puck up the ice quickly. Passing is my biggest strength and with this team it looks like I'll have a lot of guys who know how to find open ice so if I can get the puck to them we'll be lighting the lamp a ton. It's going to be nothing but wheel, snipe, celly.

CM:

Well thanks for the interview Vince. Best of luck in the S52 season.”

VC:

Anytime!”

<<549 words for grading>>

Great first piece man! Excited to see how Chalut develops!

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers