Create Account

S49 Draft Class Retrospective
(This post was last modified: 01-23-2020, 11:42 AM by nour.)

With a couple of seasons gone by since the S49 class, dominated by big names in the SHL recreating on new players, many of which are just now entering into their prime and already becoming key pieces for their clubs, I thought it might be cool to make a progress check on the players of this class and see where they're at heading into the future, and who the big names are. I've compiled a list that includes all S49 players that are ABOVE 500TPE, to see where the depth chart would stand today, as well as redraft based on TPE numbers, which will also ignore GM status. With all that out of the way, let's analyze the S49 Class!

REDRAFT
1. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers - Elijah Jones (=)
2. Renegades Texas Renegades - Bo Kane (+1)
3. pride San Francisco Pride - Finn Rhys (+1)
4. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - Knox Booth (+10)
5. Renegades Texas Renegades - Hugh Jazz (NEW ENTRY*)
6. Platoon West Kendall Platoon - Skao Anazibf (+4)
7. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - Prince Devitt (+2)
8. Stars Toronto North Stars - Anthony Archer (+4)
9. Dragons Calgary Dragons - Jakub Bruchevski (+8)
10. Steelhawks Hamilton Steelhawks - Noah Brusky (-8)
11. pride San Francisco Pride - Jean-Paul Boivin (+12)
12. Barracuda Tampa Bay Barracuda - Raquel Castillo Gutierrez (+32)
13. Stars Toronto North Stars - Delver Fudgeson (+9)
14. Stars Toronto North Stars - Ricky Spanish (-9)
15. Jets Winnipeg Jets - Connor Tanner (+17*)
16. Blizzard Edmonton Blizzard - Jake Primeau (+5)

17. Wolfpack New England Wolfpack - Nolan McMahon (+1)
18. Panthers Los Angeles Panthers - Jagger Fouquette (+8*)
19. Stampede Buffalo Stampede - Jan Zacha (-11)

* - Denotes GMs who were drafted

Right off the bat there's a lot of interesting scenarios here, with a lot of rising and falling. Elijah Jones was selected 1OA and remains that way as the run-away leader (TPE-wise) this class, so Los Angeles hit on that pick pretty well. Otherwise this draft is HUGELY categorized by picks that panned out better than their draft position. In total, of the 19 S49 players listed here, 15 of them are ranked at a higher number than the position they were drafted at. Raquel Castillo Gutierrez's has easily the biggest jump on this list, bumping 32 spots from the Specters to sit with the Tampa Bay Barracuda. She was passed up for basically 2 rounds but comes in at 12th in TPE in what has so far been a pretty small active class. Other notable jumps, excluding GMs, are Jean-Paul Boivin (+12, Blizzard -> Pride), Knox Booth (+10, North Stars -> Blizzard), and Delver Fudgeson (+9, Wolfpack -> North Stars). These players, as well as plenty of others in that top 16, have worked hard to make really noticeable jumps, and prove themselves as some of the best in the class, Booth especially coming in 4th in TPE. The North Stars picks at 13 and 14 are interesting too, where Delver Fudgeson jumps up 9 spots to land on their first pick, but Ricky Spanish does the opposite and FALLS 9 spots to their second selection. Fouquette and Jazz makes appearances on the list in positive ways, but both are Hamilton GMs so it’s hard to gauge what their jump would be if they were regular draftees, and not auto drafted to their teams. The same can be said for Connor Tanner, however it’s really worth noting the activity surge he’s had, which sees him will amongst a very competitive back half of the board, and primed to climb higher as all players continue to progress. The biggest falls among this group (not counting players who fell off the board for not meeting the TPE limit) are Ricky Spanish and Jan Zacha, both top 10 picks who ended up falling to the back half of the draft, dropping 9 and 11 spots, respectively.

The winner of this redraft has gotta be the Edmonton Blizzard, who walk away improving on all 3 of their picks. They lose out on Rhys, who moves up to the Pride, but they gain Knox Booth who jumps 10 spots to them, and they come up big on pick 7 as well, getting proven recreate Prince Devitt, currently 7th TPE, over Khabib Nurmagomedov, who has fallen off the board entirely. The same goes for pick 16, which sees them drop Noah Andros in favour of Jake Primeau, another great active player with a lot of upside compared to Andros, who has also fallen off the board entirely and is no longer in the Blizzard’s system.

This becomes a trend for quite a few picks here in the redraft as well. As early as pick number 6 we see the West Kendall Platoon drop centre Cody, currently sitting at 380tpe and well off the board here, for another centre in Skao Anazibf, who sits at 776tpe, still filling the positional need they were aiming for. We’ve mentioned Edmonton dropping Khabib for Devitt already, and immediately after at pick number 8 we see Toronto drop Zacha, who tenuously crossed the 500tpe minimum threshold to make this list, in favour of Anthony Archer, a great young player for the Barracuda. San Francisco and Winnipeg follow suit shortly after, with the Pride dropping Mikas Bieksa for Jean-Paul Boivin, who had the biggest jump in the class outside of Gutierrez, while the Jets pick up Connor Tanner over Artem Mozgov.

And because visualizing this stuff is nice, plus pictures nets me a bit more cash, here’s some charts showing the data!

[Image: Current_TPE.png?width=800&height=496]

[Image: imageLikeEmbed.png?width=800&height=496]

For a relatively small class, SHL GMs slept on A LOT of these players, it’ll be really exciting to see them all continue to develop and remain in a tight race for this class’ best player. Thanks for reading!

#RaceTo1000

@Toivo @NONAME @FinnRhys @Tate @ThatDamnMcJesus @CFJ @Zach @JaytheGreat @BrewskyBoy @Nokazoa @Jiggly_333 @Massive Coiler @Whikadoodle @Keygan @rangersbruinslightning @Reynolds @Waters @StaticShocked

Code:
1058 Words + 2 Pictures

[Image: bjobin2.png]
[Image: 9tINabI.png][Image: c97iD9R.png]

**First GM in SMJHL history to win 3 Four Star Cups back-to-back-to-back**

Fun read! I think it would be a interesting to add in the TPE levels at the time of the draft as well to show the jumps then (if that information was available). I think I was like 17th or 18th in terms of TPE for my draft class when I was drafted and now I'm 3rd, I think. I'd be curious to see who else jumped or dropped significantly since the draft.

WolfpackBlizzardRaptors  raiders Switzerland  FINN RHYS  Switzerland raiders Raptors Blizzard Wolfpack

[Image: hockey__27674.1518661372.1000.1200.jpg?c=2]

[Image: iOjAcRd.gif]

I’d be around 10th if I wasn’t sitting on a 60 or so TPE update to try and stay under the 700 contract bracket :o

[Image: LB6bY06.gif] [Image: tanner.png]

01-23-2020, 12:25 PMKeygan Wrote: I’d be around 10th if I wasn’t sitting on a 60 or so TPE update to try and stay under the 700 contract bracket :o

I'm pretty sure that's circumventing the rule pal

Argonauts Stars Battleborn Czechia

01-23-2020, 11:29 AMnour Wrote: Raquel Castillo Gutierrez's has easily the biggest jump on this list, bumping 32 spots from the Specters to sit with the Tampa Bay Barracuda. She was passed up for basically 2 rounds but comes in at 12th in TPE in what has so far been a pretty small active class.
Let's just say some people found joy in making me miserable.

[Image: AOXbOJ7.gif]

[Image: KouSaotomeUndraftedSigSmol.png]
Jamie T Wrote:But I wish I'd been a little more exceptional
And I wish I'd been a little unconventional
But I was not enough, no, I'm not enough

nour can you put a background color thats not white on the charts. my eyes

[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
Czechoslovakia PROFILE || UPDATE || RAGE. Rage 
[Image: luketd.gif]

01-23-2020, 02:31 PMluketd Wrote: nour can you put a background color thats not white on the charts. my eyes

no i am searing them on purpose

I like the part about me

[Image: nokazoa.gif]

CURRENT PLAYER

[Image: sN8N4xa.png]         [Image: xd5tvj8.png]

FORMER PLAYER

[Image: ktJ2jTl.png]

Let's keep it up S49

Reed Kobo - Winger - #33
Player Page- Update Page
Elijah Jones - Winger - #33 Retired
Player Page - Update Page
Toivo Kosonen - Defenseman - #33 Retired
Player PageUpdate Page
[Image: 2ew9foG.png][Image: rnSNsnU.png]

Love the read! Only discrepancy is that I am a Panther and not a member of the Blizzard, which in turn means that the Panthers did the best in terms of drafting/trading.

Wink

Fun fact -
I would have been drafted by LA in the 2nd or 3rd round but was a surprise pick by Toronto in the first. I was then traded the very next day to LA, lol.

Anyway love the article!

[Image: p82ugau.png]

01-23-2020, 11:42 PMTate Wrote: Love the read! Only discrepancy is that I am a Panther and not a member of the Blizzard, which in turn means that the Panthers did the best in terms of drafting/trading.

Wink

Fun fact -
I would have been drafted by LA in the 2nd or 3rd round but was a surprise pick by Toronto in the first. I was then traded the very next day to LA, lol.

Anyway love the article!

Oh no I know that! This is more like a hypothetical scenario where all the players are redrafted based on TPE, so since you’re 4th in tpe you’d have ended up on Edmonton with their 4OA pick, if this redraft was real.

I'd be higher up on this list if school didn't kick my ass for the last three months, agh. Making the dean's list was totally worth it though. Nice look back on our class @nour <3

[Image: leblaVa.gif]
Shoutout to @adamantium for the sig! <3

01-24-2020, 10:46 AMStaticShocked Wrote: I'd be higher up on this list if school didn't kick my ass for the last three months, agh. Making the dean's list was totally worth it though. Nice look back on our class @nour <3
making Rowan proud buddy

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs

01-24-2020, 02:21 AMnour Wrote:
01-23-2020, 11:42 PMTate Wrote: Love the read! Only discrepancy is that I am a Panther and not a member of the Blizzard, which in turn means that the Panthers did the best in terms of drafting/trading.

Wink

Fun fact -

Anyway love the article!

Oh no I know that! This is more like a hypothetical scenario where all the players are redrafted based on TPE, so since you’re 4th in tpe you’d have ended up on Edmonton with their 4OA pick, if this redraft was real.

My bad, sorry! lol

[Image: p82ugau.png]