Create Account

Independent Suspension/Punishment Appeals Team

The lack of one seemingly hasn't been a big deal up until now. Maybe that's due to the lack of traction punishments get but it's evident to me that more than a few people think SMJHL HO came down extra hard on ANA due to a technicality and a bit of tampering.

I think we're big enough to pay 3 or so folks outside of HO in either league to arbitrate appeals as they come in. Wouldn't be much work really, could pay per appeal received or per season - kind of like the Dept of Player Safety in the NHL except it would be punishments they discuss not injuries. Even if a majority of rulings side with the HO, it would provide external oversight that we don't have now.

Tell me I'm wrong or something, I think it's a good idea.

[Image: Carbine.gif]
Sig Credit: Suavemente, rum_ham, Turd Ferguson

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

[Image: 711381262207811636.png]

01-23-2020, 08:14 PMCarbine Wrote: The lack of one seemingly hasn't been a big deal up until now. Maybe that's due to the lack of traction punishments get but it's evident to me that more than a few people think SMJHL HO came down extra hard on ANA due to a technicality and a bit of tampering.

I think we're big enough to pay 3 or so folks outside of HO in either league to arbitrate appeals as they come in. Wouldn't be much work really, could pay per appeal received or per season - kind of like the Dept of Player Safety in the NHL except it would be punishments they discuss not injuries. Even if a majority of rulings side with the HO, it would provide external oversight that we don't have now.

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that this used to exist and it was deemed superfluous and an unnecessary extra step. I could be wrong however about that

Alex Winters (retired)
Matej Winters (retired)
Dominik Winters
S45 Jesster Trophy Winner
Challenge Cup Winning Goal Club: S52

Yeah let me decide punishments.

[Image: lebbish.gif]

01-23-2020, 08:24 PM39alaska39 Wrote:
01-23-2020, 08:14 PMCarbine Wrote: The lack of one seemingly hasn't been a big deal up until now. Maybe that's due to the lack of traction punishments get but it's evident to me that more than a few people think SMJHL HO came down extra hard on ANA due to a technicality and a bit of tampering.

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that this used to exist and it was deemed superfluous and an unnecessary extra step. I could be wrong however about that

It mainly existed as a disciplinary committee iirc, I think his suggestion is only an appeals committee which could work. They just most likely will only be seeing minimal work.

[Image: NCQjJT2.png]
Berserkers     -       syndicate      -     Berserkers

Applied

[Image: jrousseau.gif]
[Image: j7ebBxQ.png] [Image: FbT2Pb1.png]
Canada Knights Canada Knights Canada

Lol so the Discipline Committee and the Owners

[Image: sIjpJeQ.png]

I'd be down to apply, I've done this kind of work before.

Appeals committee or commissioner or something. All I'm saying is the one dealing out the punishment shouldn't be the one deciding if the appeal has merit. If that's an agreement between SHL/SMJHL HO's to handle appeals for each other's league then so be it.

[Image: Carbine.gif]
Sig Credit: Suavemente, rum_ham, Turd Ferguson

[Image: s9JOf1N.png][Image: wW0VNnL.png]

[Image: 711381262207811636.png]

I like this idea (and tried to implement it in NSHL). We used it one time and it caused a big ruckus. There needs to be a way to take the heat off of HO because they're just doing their damn jobs. But this is a tough one.

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

01-23-2020, 08:57 PMcaltroit_red_flames Wrote: I like this idea (and tried to implement it in NSHL). We used it one time and it caused a big ruckus. There needs to be a way to take the heat off of HO because they're just doing their damn jobs. But this is a tough one.

Who cheated? Was it that one guy who GMed Vegas that I swear had a multi?

[Image: unknown.png]

UsaScarecrowsBlizzardSpecters | [Image: specterspp.png][Image: spectersupdate.png] | TimberArmadaSpectersFinland

[Image: cainbanner_35.jpg]

01-23-2020, 08:55 PMCarbine Wrote: Appeals committee or commissioner or something. All I'm saying is the one dealing out the punishment shouldn't be the one deciding if the appeal has merit. If that's an agreement between SHL/SMJHL HO's to handle appeals for each other's league then so be it.

In a perfect world we'd have more than one active owner and they could handle appeals for both league but given the circumstances I like your idea of the HO's handling appeals for the opposite HO. An appeals committee could be a good idea but I think finding a group of completely impartial, serious users to take on the job might be difficult. Maybe some sort of appeals committee that includes Leafs as the head and 2 members of each HO could work. Just spitballing idk.

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

01-23-2020, 09:08 PMBDonini Wrote:
01-23-2020, 08:55 PMCarbine Wrote: Appeals committee or commissioner or something. All I'm saying is the one dealing out the punishment shouldn't be the one deciding if the appeal has merit. If that's an agreement between SHL/SMJHL HO's to handle appeals for each other's league then so be it.

In a perfect world we'd have more than one active owner and they could handle appeals for both league but given the circumstances I like your idea of the HO's handling appeals for the opposite HO. An appeals committee could be a good idea but I think finding a group of completely impartial, serious users to take on the job might be difficult. Maybe some sort of appeals committee that includes Leafs as the head and 2 members of each HO could work. Just spitballing idk.

I volunteer to be an owner

[Image: doubtfulalpha.gif]
[Image: 0XJkcN5.png]
[Image: sN8N4xa.png][Image: 639861613880541184.png] Cal Juice [Image: 639861613880541184.png][Image: RyzkmSj.png]
[Image: Eo2nBCt.png] Tomas Zadina
[Image: snacnei.png] Brady McIntyre
[Image: ice-level.svg]

I've been saying it for a while: separation of powers goes a long way

MWHazard Wrote:i'll playwith anyone
playing with my teammates is part of the intangibles I bring to the table
i play with them a lot.
they didn't like it at first
but after a while, it just felt normal
Justice,Sep 18 2016, 02:09 PM Wrote:4-0 and 0-4 aren't that different tbh
McJesus - Today at 10:38 PM Wrote:FIRE EGGY
HIRE ARTY