Create Account

S52 SMJHL PT 1 - Training Days

So, I was drafted by the Carolina Hurricanes. I know, Carolina is a bastion of hockey knowledge. Anyways, I walked in and I saw none other than Mike Hroch! Hroch was drafted by the Pack a few seasons ago, and is developing to be among their future core. I was intrigued as I already have lines drawn to fast-track me to join the Wolfpack. We very well could be a duo at the SHL level as well as the SMJHL one long term.

Anyways, we got to work. He was clearly more in tune with the rigors of the SMJHL than I to start with. I could see the speed in his movement, his precision in the crease and his confidence in playing the puck. I felt with just that quick training camp that I learned a lot and was able to take a big step forward in my development. Here’s to many more years as a tandem!

Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora Aurora
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]
[Image: AceIn603.gif]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2020, 10:29 AM by ChrisFromRMNB.)

The first day of training camp was like any other day at the rink for me, number one overall draft pick, Chris Cerullo. I showed up to the barn, tarp off in the Colorado cold, hungover, sunglasses on, new gold chain around my neck (thank you rookie contract), rocking only suit pants from the night before, a black Leafs flatbrim snapback, and some Nike slides. The lady at the front desk rudely tells me that I'm early and then I remembered that I had the Uber drop me off at the rink last night so that I could pass out in my pre-parked car (don't drive drunk, kids) and not miss my first day.

As I was very early and the team clearly did not have our team issued stuff out yet, I decided to break into the rental skate shop and grab a pair to twirl around on at the public skate going on, on the back rink. Sockless and still with no shirt on, I fly out onto the clean sheet, get the legs pumping, sign some autographs, get a few numbers, and spray some serious snow until this braceface little punk attendant tells me that my attire is unacceptable and that I have to leave the building. Being that this isn't my first time being kicked out of a place of business, I feign acceptance until we get closer to the zam doors, slewfoot the crap out of the nerd, pick him up, and shove him face first into the nearest trash can.

Turns out that, that kid was actually also a team intern. First of many team issued fines.

Raptors S52 SMJHL Entry Draft First Overall Selection Raptors 
norway Chris Cerullo - Center norway 

Camp, first and foremost, was exhausting. I considered myself pretty in shape, but you can only sprint so much before you get dizzy. My locker was in a clutch spot though, no one on the right side so I had all the space in the world. Everyone was low key jealous. It was great, then we signed Ben...

Ben a a person is great. The guy is a hard worker, super humble, good at hockey, and we get along well. We even got to play together at WJC this year. Ben was the new guy of the new guys though, and his new locker was right next to mine. Goodbye extra space, hello smell of salt and vinegar chips. I think it's burned the hairs off my nose at this point. Dude just doesn't stop eating those damn things. Rolls up in the morning, crunch crunch crunch. Ice bath? Crunch. Stretching with the trainer? Crunch. "Ok, get some water guys"? Crunch crunch crunch. I legit don't know how he isn't dehydrated.

Someone is gonna start stealing the giant bag he brings each day, or worse. Kinda hoping it's just the former. Yeah he's the new guy, but he's chill.

Crunch.

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

As a 6th round pick in the SMJHL to the Carolina Kraken I was determined to make a good first impression and show why I should've went higher. Coming off a strong regular season and an early playoff exit, I expected the rest of the team to be focused on the upcoming season. I was not disappointed. However I was surprised not to see veteran forward Michael Fitted on the ice. We later found out he got trapped in the equipment room closet and couldn't open the door to get out. As training camp progressed I was able to notice the work ethic and dedication of Ambacas Cuddles. As a defensive defenseman he was able to demonstrate some impressive offensive skills and we were able to develop some chemistry as a defensive pairing. Unsure of whether or not the plan for the season is to keep the pairing together but I think we could end up one of the better defensive duos in the league moving forward.

Training camp was quite interesting this season, especially considering that it was one of the first times that all of the Kelowna Knights had been together. Since the draft added five new faces to the team, there were a few rookies that needed to become familiar with the veteran players, the facilities, and the coaching staff/management. One happening that stands out in particular is the scene in the dressing room after the first on-ice session of the season. Jaska Seppala was the last into the locker room and he was in for a sight once he got there. Jaska found that his street clothes had been duct taped to the roof above his locker. Frustrated, he looked to the other rookies' lockers to see if they had suffered the same hardship. Unfortunately for him, they had not. Rocco Berni and the rest of the rookie team were laughing from across the room.

"Gotcha", Rocco laughed.

Player Page || Update Thread
[Image: ffBCCRQ.png]

I have been dying to tell this story about what happened at the Kelowna Knights training camp. I had a lot of fun getting to know my new teammates, but this particular story was quite funny. It happened between Luca Del Vecchio and I. Del Vecchio is the goalie of the Knights and he likes to tease the new guys. He found me working out my shot accuracy and decided I was his perfect target. Del Vecchio came up to me and told me we were going to be playing a game of duck duck goose and that I should start it. He said to start going up to people tapping them on the head and say “duck”. Being the nervous rookie that I was I complied with his request. I went up to a bunch of the guys who have been there for a few seasons now going “duck, duck, duck”. They thought I was crazy! It took me a little bit to catch on that we are in fact not playing duck duck goose. I’m going to have to get Del Vecchio back!

[Image: blurrybad.jpg] [Image: zomboy3.png]
Thank you Brandon, Fish, GeckoeyGecko, Karey, Kit, takethehorizon, and Ragnar for the sigs!
[Image: Pw202QP.jpeg]

Player Page || Update page

You don't normally expect to get pranked by a fellow rookie, but that's exactly what happened, with some help from the vets. We were hitting the ice for some early camp skating drills, it was day one or two. Rookies only for now, the vets still got a couple days off.  So, we hit the ice to work on skating and right as we get out to center ice, the lights went out. 

"What the... Oh.. come on guys, that's not funny.. turn the lights back on..."

We hear something scrape along the ice, something much bigger than a skate blade... whispered murmers of "what the heck" "what's going on?"

A spotlight suddenly flares up and standing at the gate to the ice is a guy in a plaid shirt wearing an old school goalie mask, the white kind with the holes in it. He's holding something shiny in one hand, is that a fucking machete? 

We look around hurriedly for another way off the ice, a couple guys hold their sticks up as shields or weapons as we try to figure out what the hell is actually going on. 

After a few seconds we hear laughing from the bench, the guys couldn't hold their composure for very long. The lights come back on and the psycho with the machete lifts his mask, with a huge grin on his face. 

"Hey boys... I'm your new teammate. Jason Vorhees."

[Image: hudson.png]

A little late to the party, as I hear the boys have all told this story already, but I think something is missing. As they said, coach was making us skate hard (I blame Fredward’s antics) and we all needed some water. We all start chugging out of our Gatorade ™ water bottles, and it is fucking nasty! My first thought is someone switched my lemon lime for some grape flavoured bullshit, but it turned out to be pickle juice. Edward Williams starts throwing up uncontrollably, and everyone started spitting it out. Turns out the pickle juice was swapped with out water! Magnus Liljeström claimed he did it, but this seemed to sinister for a sweet Swedish lad like himself. I think he was pressured by a veteran in the locker room to take the fall. Cal Labovitch was looking shady, and suspiciously did not drink from the tainted water bottles... and I am not ruling out Kaarlo Kekkonen, he seems like he would like drinking that stuff. Maybe our goalie Jobin is to blame, goalies do have their own water bottles, so he wouldn’t be at risk of drinking the pickle juice. I am going to investigate and expose the culprit.

Thanks Wasty, Carpy, JSS, TurdFerguson, Geekusoid and Awesomecakes for the sigs!
[Image: reidsuth.gif]
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2020, 01:56 PM by rapideagle.)

Affliate PT task

[Image: giphy.gif]

Player | Update | Twitter

There was a specific day in training camp where all the rookies of the Scarecrows had to do twice the amount of reps the veterans had to do, believe it or not it was actually not that bad it consisted of the normal exercises like suicides, benching, squats, etc. We worked out in the gym near the ice rink as a team, it was tiring but a lot of fun as well. However what us rookies didn’t know was that it even included twice the amount of food we had to eat at team lunch. I saw some of the rookies choose light things like sandwiches, soup and such, but for me I wanted to impress them and go with something more heavy. My guess was that they were trying to bulk us up, as some of us looked like shrimpy type of guys. It was bad for me because I would never forget this day because I decided to eat pasta and I ate some much pasta, but don’t get me wrong the pasta was really good but it had some much garlic and cheese on it, I ended up the next day looking like a pylon on the ice with my stomach twice the size of my head. The team laughed at me, I just kinda smiled and laughed back. Coach sat me out and told me to go home and rest for the day. Sometimes I feel like I should stick with my gut from now on, but it was for the team and I didn’t want to step down from such a challenge.  

Alex Reyer

Scarecrows Scarecrows Scarecrows

The Detroit Falcons training camp was a crazy one for Paddy Kane-Reilly II. With similar dashing looks as his father, former SMJHL superstar Paddy Kane-Reilly, many of the women in the stands swooned over his Lucious locks. Training camp consisted of off-ice team bonding events as well as on-ice training. PKRII got into the groove early impressing the coaching staff with a taste of his pure talent. Scoring gorgeous goals on the goaltenders, atonishishing even the veterans on the team. After the camp was over, the boys all went out to a Detroit bar where unfortunately, ended up competing for the same girl. PKR impressed the girl with his knowledge of Japanese culture and ended up getting her number.

They went into camp the next day talking about her and one of the coaches overheard. He went on to exclaim that that was the general managers daughter. Her number was quickly deleted as it wasn't worth the career killing.

[Image: giphy.mp4]
(This post was last modified: 01-27-2020, 10:55 PM by suavemente.)

Ödd cẳsẽ of ậmnèsíầ.

Halifax Training Camp started strong with many of the rookies eager to prove their worth they trained hard over the couple days and reviewed all of their preseason games, seeing where improvements could be made. Captain C. Al Kayhall was adamant about sitting down one-on-one with all of the newcomers to watch the game films from the preseason. These sessions were viewed as highly valuable to everyone on the team, it allowed them to get used to the leadership of Kayhall in a relaxed attitude where they didn't feel pressure by being put on the spot in front of the whole team. The system instantly had effects on many of the newcomers with their performance and abilities refining and getting far stronger in the coming week. That is aside from some individuals who shared unique naming conventions not only didn't see improvement in the next week but actually regressed to rookie showcase levels. This struck not only Kayhall as odd but also Halifax's Management who immediately began an investigation into possible sabotage. Upon further information coming in it became clear that the sabotage was only targeted at rookies in the SMJHL who had interesting naming conventions and used native accents in their name. This particular amensiatic attack is unprecedented in SMJHL history and a bold escalation of tensions in this league. Clearly many teams are looking to make a name for themselves... no matter the cost. We can only wish the best to those rookies affected by the malevolent deception, and hope its' resolution will boon them with a great season!

[Image: 81ImQYu.png][Image: suavemente.gif][Image: QD85cmZ.png]
     Platoon    Timber

Training is always fun... that's the word, fun. Days on end of being reminded that you're not in the shape you should be. Down in the butterfly, back up, from one post to the other, then do it again. Skating down and back, have to build up that endurance that you've lost. Then the best part, getting pelted by shot after shot. All of this and the brightest spot is that ice cold, refreshing bottle of water just waiting for you. Finally, coach whistles for a water break. As I'm skating over, a few of the guys start dry heaving, one of them even pukes! Man, I guess it's not just me that's out of shape. Lift up my mask and squirt some of that refreshing H2O in my mouth only to discover why everyone is getting sick. Pickle juice. Someone replaced our water with pickle juice. I look around to see who's a little too happy about this. Most are spitting it out in disgust, but then there's Burlok. He's happy as a clam downing his brine bottle. I'd bet my signing bonus it was him.

[Image: awesomecakes.gif]
[Image: beautifulphoenix.gif]

On the day I showed up to the clubhouse, it was a lot of hype and excitement surrounding the fact I was a rookie. I can't say I expected people to be so genuinely enthusiastic for someone being drafted to their team. It was nice, and I truly feel like this clubhouse has a lot of good players there. Now... them getting me prepared for a S52 championship ring this early was pretty confident of them, and quite frankly that confidence is contagious. I never have felt so invigorated as to get myself going for a team until I felt the pure confidence seeping out from Anchorage's players. There may also be some other things that could be going on, but I can't share the secrets, can I? Go Armada!

[Image: armada.png] Joined the fleet, here to win it all! [Image: armada.png] 29th overall pick in S52 SMJHL draft [Image: armada.png]
[Image: eO0raaZ.png]
[Image: lowrie.png]

So in the first few days of my training camp with the Whalers, we do a pretty cool thing since we have players from a bunch of different countries. All the guys bring a food item from their home country and share it with their teammates. It’s all in good fun and helps bring everyone together. Anyways, I decided to get some Swiss cheese from a local supermarket, and brought it in to practice. Probably should have thought this out beforehand, though, because when I got around to White Goodman and Joe Simpson, they were not amused. I got a few whacks from the goalies in the scrimmages. Should have seen that one coming. They got me back good, though. I only had like a five percent shooting percentage in the preseason, so I showed up to my final practice of training camp to find a Shooter Tutor in my locker. It’s gonna be a great year with these guys. I love being a Whaler.

[165 words]

[Image: vd5hdkM.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]
Sig credits to @sköldpaddor @ihatereyson