Create Account

S52 SMJHL PT 1 - Training Days

Newfoundland wasn't so different from Norway, especially when the majority of my hours awake are at the rink.  Though embarrassed by my late arrival, I was very excited to get started with the Berserkers, I new I'd need to put in some extra work since the season started soon.  Upon arrival, I went straight to the practice facility, intent on meeting my new teammates and, hopefully, getting in a skate or drill session before the day was over.  Quickly donning my gear, I stepped out of the locker room to head towards the ice when I was bowled over by an excitable young fellow screaming "Sergei" over & over.  But, upon his realization that was not who he expected me to be, he was crestfallen, and hung his head as he walked back to the locker room.  Slightly shocked, I lay there for a moment, then stood up when another player, one of our assistant captains, Steve Harrington came to check on the commotion.  "What was that?" I asked.

"That," he replied, "was Andrei.  I think he's done that to almost everyone here.  It's become a kind of initiation around here, so welcome to the team."

"You Pass?" I hear Andrei shout from the locker room.

"Uh, yeah, I pass." I replied.

Andrei's head poked out of the locker room door.  "Good, you pass, I score; and then," his eyes narrowed, "we will find my brother."

Berserkers

[Image: uxBTBCX.png]
Berserkers norway

Jack Von Arx has spent a month at the Swiss National Team’s World Juniors training complex in Prilly, Lausanne and is already turning heads. On Friday, players, coaches, and the few tourists in attendance at the team’s morning skate were entertained by a Von Arx-anchored attack that was inspired by one of his favorite movies.

“So yeah…we pulled off the flying V,” said Sven Geneve, Von Arx's line-mate.

The play made famous by Disney’s The Mighty Ducks was executed during Von Arx’s 3rd shift of an inter-squad scrimmage.

[Image: giphy.gif]

“We were scooting down the bench, ready to go out for the third time,” explained Geneve. “Jack looked at me and said "tell the offense we’re doing the flying V"."

When the time came, Von Arx gathered the offense behind his side’s net. Coaches were momentarily puzzled when the 17-year old defenseman from Reinach held up his arms and hollered for the “flying V". Von Arx then took the puck and traveled up the ice with the offense, in the formation first seen by hockey fans in the 1992 release of The Mighty Ducks.

“I’m actually surprised how well that went”, said Geneve. “Our biggest concern was offsides, which I’m pretty sure they were in the movie. But you would’ve thought we practiced the formation…I swear we haven’t.”

Those to witness the Von Arx-led formation say the defenseman carried the puck to the blue line, passed up to centreman Roman Dolana who then passed to Yannick Wegen on the left wing. Wegen soon kicked the puck back to Von Arx who took a shot on goal that sailed wide of the net. And though the play was unsuccessful, the moment made many smiles and lightened up what has been an intense camp for those trying to make noise on the international stage.

Von Arx will wrap up camp with the Swiss World Juniors Team this weekend and travel back to North America, where he's expected to sign with an SMJHL team by Monday.

PBE PT

[Image: woelkers.gif]

[Image: 9Fgs2Xi.jpg]

Chaz McGillicuddy – Assistant to the Regional Editor – Morningstar News
Maybe don't get Screeched In the night before training camp?

In another addition to our exclusive interview with Newfoundland Berserker prospect Vince Chalut, he lets us in on why he has been off to a slow start in SMJHL S52.

After a decent pre-season where Chalut showed his potential, it has been a tough adjustment to regular season play. Fifteen games in and Chalut has 3 points (1G, 2A) but more disappointingly he's -7. According to Vince, his slow start can be attributed to one thing. The time-honoured Newfoundland tradition of being Screeched In.

For those unaware being Screeched In is a tradition where a person is required to take a shot of Newfoundland Screech Rum and kiss a cod fish. Once this is complete, the participant becomes an honourary Newfoundlander. The problem is that it rarely involves only one shot of rum. Such was the case for Chalut. Ninety minutes later Vince found himself awoken by headlights as he was lying in a ditch with a cod next to him and his pants down around his ankles.

The next day at camp I couldn't look anyone in the eye. It felt like they all knew. It was hard to focus on drills. I definitely won't be doing that again!”

Hopefully Vince has overcome the shame as he has begun to start playing much better of late. In yesterday's game against the Anaheim Outlaws Chalut had the overtime winner.

[Image: xbNE97x.png]

Going undrafted in a league where everyone gets drafted was a tough start to my SMJHL career. The Outlaws brought me in to camp, and I was hungry to prove my worth. On day one of camp, us rookies lined up along the top of the circles to warm up the goalies. Being a pure goal scorer, I saw this as an opportunity to impress the coaching staff with my rocket of a shot. I lean into a clapper, with my sights set on the top right corner. The puck rips off my stick, I had absolutely crushed it... However, my aim was a little off. The shot catches the goalie right between his eyes, and he crumbles into a heap in his crease. The coach skates up to me, I know that he is about to send me home for nearly killing one of their goalies. However, he decided to keep me around once I convinced him that I can use my powerful shot to injure the opposing goalies until the other teams do not have any goalies left.

[Image: wAnwihB.png]

So a few of my teammates and I were hanging out the locker room and Noah Nystrom broke out the hackey sack. We get to kicking it around and while I’m not the greatest at it, I soon am doing more than a few kicks at a time and can keep it off the ground. Ryan Shepard decides let’s up the stakes and add a second one into the mix. He and Noah are smiling the whole time so we agree. This should be fun! Ryan placed it on the top of his shoe and instead of kicking it, he kind of flung it directly at me.

At my face.

As I felt my face turning red, I realized it actually was dripping red. Not blood, but something a bit different. Everyone was doubled over howling with laughter. This new hackey sack had been stuffed with something red and… squishy. Someone I couldn’t see rushed in a blur and suddenly it was an all out food fight like something out of the movies. As quickly as it started, it was over when the coaches came to break it up, all while struggling to maintain their composure. All I could think of afterwards was “how did they get a tomato inside that thing?”

[Image: CAu3g3c.png]

[Image: zS2lCMp.png]  [Image: oMh09WY.png]  [Image: 1DL5JDX.png]  [Image: wu5MVvy.png]  [Image: sXDU6JX.png]