Create Account

S52 SMJHL PT 2 - Player Progression

PT 2 - Player Progression

So you're back again for more TPE, eh? What are you going to do with all those points once you've earned them?

Written option: Give us your projected build at 350 TPE. In at least 150 words, explain your reasoning however you want. (Hint: look at the sim and see what the players at the top of the leaderboards are doing and/or ask your GM for tips.)

Graphic option: Make a hockey card with the attributes you're aiming to have at 350 TPE. Must include a render.

Reward
4 TPE for doing the thing. (Just one of the options, not both.)

Only S52 SMJHL Rookies (S53 SHL Rookies) are eligible for this PT.

Do NOT claim TPE for this task until a post has been made in the claim thread.

Link PBE or NSFL submissions here to get credit for Welfare claims.

Deadline Sunday 2/9 @ 10pm EST

[Image: 45029_v.gif]

Sigs by: King, Tweedledunn, Me
Player Page|Twitter|Update Page
(This post was last modified: 02-02-2020, 03:29 PM by Nhamlet.)

[Image: SatfZmy.png]

End goal is something along the lines of being a big body/distributor so I looked at those with the highest assist totals. Noticed that for forwards (and I guess defensemen), puck handling being high was one of the common factors. Saw as well from one of the rookies posting trends in points in regards to stats that defense appeared to be positively correlated with scoring and in general, that does line up with the advice I've been given that decision making stats in this sim are particularly important.
So starting off, going to focus hard on both puck handling and defense so that my player's positioning in all areas improves, puck handling to be able to hold onto the puck and find those key opportunities. Passing should probably be higher in order to encourage my player to pass more as well as being able to complete those passes, but I didn't want to leave scoring in the ditch despite it being a weakness so that's something else to look forward to down the road.

[Image: 1rdovVs.gif]

[Image: X6NDpNM.png][Image: 6eXcLdf.png]

I have heard that there is couple of different school of thoughts how you build your goalie. One is more "top heavy" build where you put almost all of your points towards primary abilities (reaction time, hand speed and style control). The other idea is more balanced build where your secondary abilities (size, agility and  
skating) are more close to your primaries.

I'm going towards more balanced build where my primaries are hitting above 80 points and my secondaries at 75 points expect skating which is my weakness. I'm trying to hit skating at 70 so it won't fall behind too much. I also value rebound control so I don't give up, you know.. so many rebounds. Puck handling I give only some attention because I think it will be fine at 70. Penalty shot is also fine at 60 for now because not many players give it any attention.

[Image: HuuveriCUDA.png]
 Raptors Raptors Sweden Thanks to @JSS for the sig! Sweden Barracuda Barracuda 

[Image: unknown.png]
Hottest setup for the all-star playmaker I am slowly becoming. All unnecessary points will be redistributed from checking, strength, and endurance to free up points to create the ultimate build. Obviously you need 80 in passing, defense, puck handling, and skating. These are all the major stats for a passer. Scoring will be left at 65 because if I am scoring then I am not getting assists. This is detrimental to my goal of becoming all time assists leader. The rest of the stats are for babies that are uninterested in becoming all time assist leader so they do not need any points. Why need penalty shot if you just win games in regulation? Face offs are for losers. You cant get an assist off a face off. Fighting? Useless time that could be spent passing. Endurance? Just grab 10 assists in the first period and chill for the rest of the game. Strength? My only strength should be passing.

[Image: arTbD7O.png]

Germany Berserkers Stampede Stars Barracuda syndicate

[Image: Screen_Shot_2020-02-02_at_5.58.14_PM.png]

For me, I want to stay true to the type of player I set out to build. I want to be an all around, dependable player that can win you battles on all 200 feet of the ice. A great eye for playmaking, but no slouch when it comes to finishing in front of the net and cleaning up the garbage. Making sure that my checking, puck handling, and strength are competitive will lend itself to that responsible style of play.

When it comes down to it, I want a Selke candidate. Burlok Sulfurgold is going to be a player than you can rely on in any situation. If you're up by one in a championship game and you need the defence locked down? Burlok's your guy. If you're down by one in a championship game and you need a guy that's going to get pucks deep, win offensive battles, and cause havoc in front of the net for the big scorers? Burlok is gonna be your guy.

[Image: pin1_1.gif?ex=661a1734&is=6607a234&hm=b8...1bf5caed8&]

[Image: 860316c80344ac17230207136254435f.png]

Obviously as a pure defensive defenseman my best stat will always be defense. That's clear. My strengths are defense, endurance, and checking, so my next highest should always be those 2 (after defense). I have decided to go balanced for my smjhl build up to the 350 TPE cap. I'm not really sure if that's smart or not, but I feel like it's a good idea as a defender who is eventually going to be on the first line. You want someone in the back who do it all, besides scoring of course. My ideal season is one where I have zero shots, so if I ever manage to score a miracle goal somehow I'll be very surprised.

Obviously the little knowledge I currently have about the sim the SHL and SMJHL use is already going to be thrown out of the window come season 53, so really who knows what my build is going to look like once we switch to FHM.
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2020, 01:50 AM by Zomp.)

[Image: 6WWnCUT.png]

The build that I'm going with is a player who relies mostly on their puck handling and lethal shot to be able to become a dependable goal scorer for their team. However, with the passing bumped up to 70 they will also be able to occasionally dish out the puck to line mates who have a better opportunity. I believe that by bringing up my defense to 80 it'll drop the chance of me being a risk for easy goals when on the ice. I've talked to members of my team regarding the build and it seems to be going in a good direction, so I'd like to keep on track with it. Even with this baseline in place, with the switch coming for next season I'll need to change things up slightly but I still plan on going the route of a sniper. I personally think that I have a pretty well rounded build for someone who's focusing more on goals than assists.

[Image: Bl5fIeK.png]
I want to build a well-balanced offensive and defensive winger who can be a reliable piece of the offensive breakout, win those battles on the boards, and feed my linemates for scoring chances, while also being a physical presence who can force mistakes and turnovers from opposing defensemen and make them rush their decisions. Having 76 Skating, 60 Strength, 60 Puck Handling, and 73 Defense helps Hartmann hold off checkers in the corners, while 75 Passing helps me find the open man when I do come out of the corner with the puck. Having 66 Scoring allows me to bang in goals in those greasy situations in front of the net when the pass isn't open. Face Offs and Penalty Shots have been ignored until later, since William Hartmann is a winger and doesn't care about those stats yet. On the defensive side of the puck, having 73 Defense and 75 Checking means that Hartmann is great at knocking opposing players off the puck and kickstarting the counterattack. My goal at 350 is to be at least a 20-goal, 55-point guy, and I think this build gives me a good chance to get there.

[Image: vd5hdkM.png][Image: 8cjeXrB.png]
[Image: XigYVPM.png]
[Image: umZ0HLG.png][Image: VGl3CB4.png]

[Image: 9e64223b78a884e8ef7a26bc2d328a1a.png]
I went with this build as it encompassed a lot of my goals for my SHL player in one build. I had always wanted someone similar to John Carlson who has a hard shot and is deadly whenever he gets a one timer. I chose not to prioritize passing as I’d rather score goals and boosting passing could take away from my ability to shoot. I chose checking as my weakness over the rest as I plan on being a super offensive-focused defenseman. Ultimately the choice was between checking and strength and due to strength being important offensively, I decided to throw my checking out the window. Moving on, fighting is something I would rather boost at the end of my build as I don’t plan on getting into many at this stage in my career unlike a certain player called Jean Paul Boivin. Finally, I decided to put points into puck handling so that I could help my team out with carrying the puck up the ice. Along with being an offensively focused defenseman I want to be a utility piece for my team who can essentially do a little bit of everything, especially score, so it was important for me to focus on puck handling and a little bit on skating.

[Image: jackkanoff.gif]

[Image: jeffiesigs.gif]
Nour is pretty hot ngl

PBE Affiliation

[Image: 15Ng51w.png][Image: draNOgf.png]

[Image: image0.png]

With Ambacas Cuddles, my goal is to be a beast of a defensive man. Being such a massive player, this build definitely caters to my size. Having 50 checking doesn’t seem like a lot, but in the Juniors it is still more than most players and that means that I will check a decent amount, but not enough to kill my team with penalties. I left fighting and discipline alone. Skating at 75 will mean that I can be better on both sides of the puck and take less penalties as well as be a better puck mover. Strength and Endurance at 70 will allow Cuddles to log a lot of minutes and not be outmuscled if that is even possible in the first place with his massive size. Puck Handling is at 75 mostly because of the effect that is has on shot blocking. I want to block a lot of shots, so having a high Puck Handling stat will help that. Passing is at 60 because offense isn’t my focus but I still want to be good enough at passing to not give the puck away constantly. My scoring is at 40 because it is my weakness and I don’t want to waste too many points into it when I don’t really want to score goals anyways. Lastly, Defense is at 85 as my highest stat because I want to be a defensive beast and having Defense as my highest stat will allow me to do that

[Image: pppoopoo.gif]
[Image: 7925.png]
Thanks to @karey and @JSS for the sigs!

Former USA Fed Head, Carolina Kraken Co-GM, Tampa Bay Barracuda GM
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2020, 11:05 AM by sve7en.)

This is close to the build I would want at 350, assuming we were sticking on Simon. I'd redistribute and change checking to weak just because of meta/optimization, but my focus skills would be Skating, Scoring, and Defense. Two way players have to have defense of course, and I want to be impact on offense, so scoring or passing should be a must too. Speed helps Defense, and I want to be a counterattacking threat, so handles and scoring are the most synergistic with that. I want a bit of strength just so I don't get bullied around too much, Passing up to 60 so I'm not illegal, Endurance up to 70 so I can skate laps around everyone for days, and Faceoffs are dumb. If I had more points, getting some in penalty shot would be decent just so I can use my speed, scoring, and handles in clutch situations as well.

[Image: ed2yevK.png]

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

Earned 350 - Used 350
Checking - 55
Fighting - 25
Discipline - 62
Skating - 63
Strength - 56
Endurance - 60
Durability - 50*
Puck Handling - 70
Faceoffs - 50
Passing - 74
Shooting - 78
Defense - 80
Penalty Shot - 40

As a two way forward, the goal of this build is to be as balanced as possible. Strengths are Passing, Shooting, Defense. The points will be distributed evenly between those three until they are maxed out.  Secondary areas of focus will be Puck handling and Skating. This will help with hits and blocking shots.  Checking is my weakness, so that will be one of the last things to get maxed out, but hopefully eventually start pumping some points into that as well to increase the hits and the likelihood of turnovers. The object is to be as useful to the team as I can, not just trying to score a lot of goals, but play defense and hit. Eventually an ideal role for me would be a 3rd line grinder and a penalty killer. Good at blocking shots and helping out the D but occasionally still able to toss in a goal every now and then, possibly short-handed. That would be ideal.

[Image: hudson.png]

[Image: Screen_Shot_2020-02-03_at_09.39.36.png]

I've tried to style my player as an offensive defenceman. One day I'm hoping he could be comparable to Erik Karlsson.

With this in mind I had to focus on two main areas: skating and passing. Therefore I added as much as I could to these two areas. Unfortunately it meant that I had to sacrifice a bit on puck handling, defence, and scoring. I'm hoping that adding to passing will help offset the sacrifice of puck handling, and I'm hoping the addition to skating will be able to make up for the lack of defence and scoring ability. My thinking is that typically the defence is the genesis of the offence, but not necessarily the finishing touch. This leads me to think that a solid ability to move the puck and get it to the right people will more than offset a lack in scoring ability. Once my player progresses even further then perhaps I will starting bringing up the scoring ability but for now that's not my focus.

[Image: xbNE97x.png]
(This post was last modified: 02-03-2020, 12:43 PM by Ace.)

When I am capped at 350 TPE, I will hope to continue to refine my game in the areas where I am already strong. Here’s a breakdown of my current attributes, and where they’re going to go –

CURRENT BUILD
SK = Skating: 55
DU = Durability: 50 (do not add TPE here, injuries are turned off)
EN = Endurance: 50
SZ = Size: 57
AG = Agility: 80
RB = Rebound Control: 80
SC = Style Control: 80
HS = Hand Speed: 81 3/5
RT = Reaction Time: 80
PH = Puck Handling: 54
PS = Penalty Shot: 50

FINISHED BUILD
SK = Skating: 55
DU = Durability: 50 (do not add TPE here, injuries are turned off)
EN = Endurance: 51
SZ = Size: 60
AG = Agility: 80
RB = Rebound Control: 85
SC = Style Control: 85
HS = Hand Speed: 85
RT = Reaction Time: 90
PH = Puck Handling: 54
PS = Penalty Shot: 50

As you can see, the reaction time attribute will see the most love, and I’ll round out my other core attributes to 85. I am eager to see how this sort of build will work with a strong Carolina team. I think these four to five attributes are the core attributes for a successful SHL goaltender in STHS. In the grand scheme of things however, I probably won't even see this build because of the likely move to FHM. I am excited to see the next PT where I build that maxed out build.

Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights Aurora Knights
[Image: VZtEodi.png]
[Image: 1n0REYx.png]

RIP Dangel. See you on the other side, brother