Create Account

The Player's Tribune | "Welcome To The Show" | By Jimmy Wagner [RMB1]
(This post was last modified: 02-04-2020, 09:43 PM by sve7en.)

[Rookie Bonus Media 1 (first 1000 words x1.5), 672 words x 1.5 = 1008 words, ready for grading]

[Image: XIH19Ve.png]

This is the third entry on The Player's Tribune in an ongoing series following hockey prospect Jimmy Wagner through his journey of playing professionally. You can read his first piece “Hey Dad” here, or view the index of his entries here.

“You won’t be able to get away with that move forever Wagner”

The voice of my old coach, Anton Muller, has been in my head a lot these last few weeks to say the least.

It’s been three weeks since the season kicked off in Vancouver. Three weeks since I scored my first goal, and the Kraken’s first goal this season. I wrote about it then, riding that high as I was about to jump back into the whirlwind. Right after that high, the reality of the SMJHL came back to me.

Late in the third of that first game against Vancouver, I was fed the puck in our own end after they couldn’t retrieve the dump and saw my chance to break out. I had a full head of steam up the right side, Mac was behind me towards the middle and we had two of their guys in front of us.

Our blue, center, and their blue flew under my skates, and I could see the uncertainty in the face of the defender in front of me. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the other defender collapsing on me, exactly what I was hoping for. One little hesitation move like I’ve done thousands of times and Mac was going to have one of the easiest goals in my life. Open the hips a bit, curl the puck for just a second to draw them both in...

Crunch.

Boards.

Puck gone.

Zlatan Jr. looking down at me.

“Welcome to The Show”

Turns out Muller was right about that move not working, and the next five or six things I went for in my first few games. I’ve honestly lost count of how many different things no longer work. Not that I wasn’t expecting that to be the case, but I wasn’t expecting to scrap everything.

If you watch mostly SHL games you might not buy it, but SMJHL defenders are really sharp. I’m one of the fastest skaters on my team still, but speed and burst can only get you so far. The fakes and dekes don’t work as well when guys are twice as strong and box you out. The shots don’t fall quite as easily anymore either. I can still find the space I want, but people are more willing to block shots now, and the goalies are quicker. I was good back home in Austria, but everyone is good out here.

The guys in Carolina have been really helpful though, [Alexei] Rykov has gone out of his way to show me techniques and training methods that already have me growing as a player, and even though the scoring has dropped off for me from those first three games they keep encouraging me to take my shots and play my game. That’s been such a huge thing, to have guys continuing to support me like they have goes a long way in making sure I keep the confidence up and make the plays I know I can.

The staff here are superb too, it’s weird having actual coaches who just exist to make you stronger or more fit, but they have so much knowledge to share. I’ve already gotten faster since I’ve been here these last few weeks, and I’ve got my eyes on that title of fastest guy in the SMJHL. The people at the practice rink let me keep the lights on so I can do extra drills, which is a relief since I haven’t quite gotten used to the bachelor pad apartment life. It doesn’t help that I still haven’t found time to decorate.

There’s a lot of grinding left to do, but that that top seed is right in our sights.

Wanna sink some boats tomorrow Carolina?
Jimmy Wagner
Carolina Kraken

[Image: q7lxxqK.png]

[Image: sve7en.gif]

[Image: 1tWWEzv.png][Image: 8zFnf2t.png][Image: 6Lj3x8E.png][Image: xkAdpbO.png][Image: xnZrhKU.png][Image: 9YigPG2.png][Image: bpYxJ69.png]

Love these articles you do man!

[Image: 66818_s.gif]