Create Account

S52 PT #4 - The Anthology Vol. III (oh no my numbers are off now)

This week, in the third volume, write about your leap to the SMJHL and your experience in that league. If you're still in the SMJHL, talk about your player's initial experiences of taking the leap to the league; if you're in the SHL now, you can write more generally about your experience in the J (e.g., the leap, as a whole, a specific memory that played in important role in your player's development). (min. 150 words)

Graphic Option: Make a hockey card graphic of your player on their SMJHL team

THIS PT IS FOR SHL PLAYERS AND SEND DOWNS. IT IS NOT FOR SMJHL ROOKIES.

You will receive 3 capped TPE for fulfilling all requirements.

This PT will close Sunday, February 23rd at 11:59pm ET.

Welfare claims from either PBE or NSFL are accepted! (if you’re claiming welfare and have a different username on the affiliate's site then you need to state that in your post to get credit.)

[Image: ekovanotter.gif]
thanks @Carpy48 and @frithjofr and @rum_ham and @Julio Tokolosh and @Briedaqueduc for the sigs
Armada Inferno norway

Going from the National League to the Simulation Major Junior Hockey League was... an interesting experience. I knew nothing about Anchorage and was not expecting to go there. I thought I'd be going in the first round, and while I did go 11th (just outside), it was to a team I didn't know. My welcome there didn't exactly help either. Bischoff and Wang weren't exactly what you would call welcoming. Hell, I almost asked for a trade because I was that unsettled already. But I decided to give it a shot, and I did well. 28 points as a rookie is pretty good, and I was happy with my performance, although we disappointingly lost in the second round. I also thought I'd be in the race for RotY, but I wasn't. Then the draft happened, which I won't talk about because it just pisses me off, and then last season happened. I took a major step forward, scoring 47 points (just under a point per game). And then the playoffs. I played like a man on fire as we won the cup, scoring in game 7 against the Kelowna Knights to bring the cup to Anchorage. I've been happy with my production in the SMJHL so far, and expect this season to possibly be my last.

[Image: bluesfan55.gif]
Armada Steelhawks Switzerland

Armada Specters Wolfpack Steelhawks Forge Switzerland

Scarecrows pride Chiefs Riot Stars Blizzard Ireland

ty to @High Stick King @EvilAllBran and @Ragnar for the sigs
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2020, 10:33 AM by notoriousTRON.)

I was very fortunate to be drafted to Anaheim for my first Junior season. They were able to give me 2nd line minutes from the jump and time on both the power play and penalty kill units. Due to the heavy minutes I was logging, it was essential that I adjust quickly to the new level of competition. I did get off to a bit of a slow start but it didn't take long for the ball to get rolling. That first season was a bit of a blur, but I ended up leading all rookies in points with 32 and won the Esa Anrikkanen trophy. The Outlaws also made it to game 7 in the second round of the playoffs despite a disappointing regular season. Reality has caught up with me a bit this season and my production has fallen off a bit. Some will call it a sophomore slump, but I think it has more to do with the Outlaws roster being loaded. Thanks to a good crop of rookies, they don't need me to play on the power play or to be a top scorer and I've focused more on killing penalties and more defensive zone play. It's been good for my me to be challenged in that part of my game. That said, we have a good crop of veterans who are likely to go pro next season so I think we could see my ice time get a bump next season. As for the playoffs, we just have a couple of games left to go and we're sitting in a good position to finish with a bye in round 1. That would certainly put us in the category of Four Star Cup favorites.

[Image: notoriousTRON.gif]
Sig Cred: Carpy, ML, RainDelay, Donini & Geekusoid
[Image: gs89eGV.png]

Simmer claim

[Image: Kalakar1.gif]

I've been with the Detroit Falcons in the SMJHL for almost two full seasons now. I still remember how excited I was for the SMJHL entry draft, and my first few games for the Falcons. prior to the draft, a couple of teams reached out to me and I had good hopes of getting drafted in one of the early rounds. But I saw round 1 pass, and nobody picked me. Same thing for round 2. But in round 3, as 25th pick overall, the Detroit Falcons drafted me. A team I hadn't even spoken with leading up to the draft. Or at least not officially, I'm sure I bumped into one of them at one of the games maybe. I was pretty nervous going into the lockerroom for the first time, but after meeting fellow rookies like @lukejm37 and @JMacNCheese, experienced J players like @dankoa and our GMs @nour and @notorioustig I felt right at home pretty soon. I started the season on the third line, and got some good points in right from the start. After we traded Kenny Creller away, I got bumped up to first line and ended my rookie season third in rookie points and holding the Elias Armia Award. That first season would get me drafted as 2OA to the Chiefs in the SHL, improving greatly on my SMJHL draft position.

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

Falcons Monarchs Switzerland   Switzerland Monarchs Falcons
[Image: qGhUIfY.png] [Image: dGD5tIx.png]

[Image: mutedfaith.gif]
Credit for the images goes to @Carpy48, @soulja, @fever95 and @Wasty

[Image: RFQCFUS.png]

rare young guns edition Lallo Selman card from his final season in the SMJHL

[Image: selm.gif]
[Image: sig.gif]

(This post was last modified: 02-17-2020, 01:14 PM by DeletedAtUserRequest.)

[Image: KJByoSk.jpg]

[Image: OnGNB1G.gif]

[Image: cgv4vCv.png]|[Image: 95lCCDx.png]|[Image: KgwtJeY.png]
Knights|Dragons|Austria

Moving to the SMJHL was a big leap for Alex Petrenko, and one he was very nervous about. Though he'd had great success in the Russian leagues, America was a whole new world, the great beyond. He knew that he'd face fierce competition from the start, and he'd have to work hard to prove himself. Thankfully, things worked out amazingly well for him as he was drafted in the beginning of the second round by the Anaheim Outlaws. His teammates immediately welcomed him with open arms and made the transition to a new life in a new country very comfortable for him. In this environment he more than thrived on the ice, wowing the league with his deft passing from the 2nd line and winning Rookie of the Year honors. His performance and presence in the locker room lead him to be named an alternate captain beginning his second season. As he worked to expand his game, his sophomore year was a bit more quiet stats-wise, but he was still able to contribute to the team in a variety of ways. This season, he's back to filling up the stat sheet, helping lead the Outlaws to what will hopefully be a deep playoff run.

(209 words.)

[Image: traphag2.gif]
(sigs courtesy of Carpy48, BDonini, Turd Ferguson, FlappyGiraffe, and Sulovilen)

The jump to the junior league was a lot more intense than Tom Fiddler had anticipated. Sure, there was competition in other leagues, but it seemed like Tom Fiddler was on top in those leagues, putting up lots of points and generally having a great season. But jumping into an adult professional league is a beast all its own. Now, he was at bottom. Now, he needed to try really hard to get results. The benefit of this, of course, was it became clear in what ways he needed to train and perform to become a better player. When you're on top, you're not quite sure how to be better since you have no frame of reference. But getting deked out of your jack strap is a good way to get new ideas about how to play the game. Tom Fiddler can only thank the league-leaders in his first 2 seasons for showing him what it looks like to be a great player so that he can now dominate the league himself. At least, until next year.

180 words.

[Image: premierbromanov.gif]

Fuck the penaltys
ARGARGARHARG
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: sXDU6JX.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

Honestly, the biggest and most defining moment for my career so far in the SMJHL has been landing here in St. Louis. The leadership here has made the experience of coming into an unfamiliar league with incredible talents very easy. Never once did I feel bad that I wasn't producing all that much on the ice, or that I was struggling to adjust and train properly. I guess everyone's first season or so in the league is rough, and I was no exception. I ended my first season with only 9 goals and 15 points, as well as being a -10 for the season. It was really rough, but with guys like Nicolaj Muller and Mika Kandinsky to look up to, I knew that in no time at all I could be a superstar in the league. I'm very thankful for everyone on my team and all the hard work everyone has put in, it has made the experience of being here in St. Louis incredible.

[Image: rankle.gif]
[Image: 9rbVE0N.png]

Barracuda Chomp Chomp Water Dog Barracuda
Scarecrows Scarecrow Noises Scarecrows
[Image: EePsAwN.png][Image: eaex9S1.png]

My experience in the SMJHL was positive, mostly because of the team I was on, the Halifax Raiders. We had a great group of players there and the locker room was such a great environment. Outside of that, the performance on the ice wasn't up to my standards.

I expected to go into the SMJHL and be one of the best goal scorers there, but that never came to be. I worked day and night to perfect my skill, but it just didn't show on the ice as much as I wanted it to, or even thought it would. In my two seasons there, I scored 7 and 14 goals, respectively. Nothing even close to what a noted sniper should put up.

Team wise, we had some great seasons. My favourite memory was going to the Four Star Cup Final in my first year. We didn't win, but it was a great experience to be a part of. That moment made me what success even more and drove me for the rest of my career.

(175 words)

Guy Incognito - D - #24
Texas Renegades
Season 76
27-7-1
Regular Season - [G 4] [A 8] [Pts 12] [+/- +24] [PIM 20] [Hits 18] [SB 74]

[Image: ERs3IrD.png]

Code:
If you're in the SHL now, you can write more generally about your experience in the J (e.g., the leap, as a whole, a specific memory that played in important role in your player's development). (min. 150 words)

I joined the SMJHL in December 2018 and got drafted by the Montreal Militia (now known as the Carolina  Kraken ) I remember my first two seasons there being overwhelmed by everything and trying to find my place among the team. My first season in the SMJHL i only generated 4 goals and 4 assists and was a -10. I was not happy with my play and my turning point was during the playoffs in S46 where I was able to produce 4 goals and 9 assists in 12 games showing what I thought i was capable of.
The following season for S47 would ultimately be my last year in the SMJHL where I was playing top line minutes and was relied on heavily to be a producer for my team. In my last year in the SMJHL i produced 13 goals and 25 assists for 38 points in the regular season. In the playoffs we made it to the finals but came up short and my stats were 6 goals and 6 assists in 19 games. Looking back I wish I would have stayed one more year in the SMJHL and help usher in the new young talent for the team and also have one last year being a key contributor for the Militia. 
My time in the J was definitely a learning experience for me and my development to where I am today as I am still learning to develop myself as a key player for the Edmonton  Blizzard  

[Image: Jammin.gif]
[Image: wiqZK8C.png]
[Image: zS2lCMp.png] [Image: ixmZA3M.png] [Image: pxjucze.png] [Image: sXDU6JX.png] [Image: IhVx0wj.png]

Thank you @High Stick King @OrbitingDeath @Ragnar @Tesla for the player signatures! 

I initially had a pretty rough transition to the SMJHL, getting drafted to Halifax in the first round and having to deal with those expectations. I was surprised that I was drafted that high, but I quickly bonded with many of my Halifax teammates which made me feel pretty comfortable right away in my new home. A lot of that had to do with Dom Montgomery and Perry Morgan joining me as captain and assistant captain in my rookie year, and we eventually moved in together. They probably kept me alive by making sure I didn't burn the apartment down trying to cook or something.

Overall I never really lived up to my draft capital in Halifax, and as a team we fell into the usual Halifax curse of finishing near the bottom of the league for my first couple of seasons. This was driven home when I was traded to Vancouver at the trade deadline in my last SMJHL season: I failed the city of Halifax after they drafted me in the first round. That ended up being my best year statistically, and I learned a lot of valuable lessons, but it was always bittersweet that I could not help bring a cup to Halifax.

Code:
206 words

[Image: 66818_s.gif]

Johnson had mixed sentiments about his time in the SMJHL, where he played with Anchorage. On one hand, the Armada was a fantastic place for him to grow as a player and person, meeting players who were great mentors and peers for him to get to know. However, on the other hand Anchorage did not experience much success in Johnson's time down there, which really hurt him due to his competitive nature and strong desire to play on a team that wins. Season 49, Johnson's last season in Alaska, was especially frustrating, because Anchorage had what was considered one of the better teams in the league, but eventually ended up coming last place, and despite a round one series win against Colorado, lost out next round to Detroit. Overall, it is because of how great a team Anchorage was that Johnson developed enough to eventually go to his dream team, Hamilton, at 2nd overall, so he is incredibly grateful for what they gave him.

(166 words)

[Image: Gabe-lights.png]
[Image: nMz40Vc.gif]

I had an incredible career in the SMJHL. It was nothing short of one of the greatest experiences of my hockey career. I started off playing for Halifax and got to play pretty consistently and really gained a lot of experience and at one point actually led the team in points. More than just the hockey, though, the relationships and the great locker room really made my time in Halifax incredibly enjoyable, even though we never won a cup. I know Halifax was meme-worthy for a while, it may even still be, but the camaraderie in that locker room and the fun we had playing hockey were better than any Cup could have been.

In my final season I was traded late in the season to Colorado and that in and of itself was a great experience. We did not win a Cup but the locker room there was incredibly fun and the players there were absolutely great to me. They accepted me with open arms. Even though I only got to play a handful of games for them before being called up to the big leagues, they made me feel like a valued member of the team and as if I had played my entire career there. It really was top notch.

WolfpackBlizzardRaptors  raiders Switzerland  FINN RHYS  Switzerland raiders Raptors Blizzard Wolfpack

[Image: hockey__27674.1518661372.1000.1200.jpg?c=2]

[Image: iOjAcRd.gif]